The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The 'Other Woman' (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=369833)

-T- 11-01-2009 11:19 AM

The 'Other Woman'

2 Attachment(s)
Starting a build thread on my new purchase! I have had a '71swb project truck for over a year now, but found a running/driving '69 last Tues. Bought it on Wed. and have been driving the pi$$ out of it. The '69 has a 350 w/small cam/Th350 and lowered a little already.

-T- 11-01-2009 11:30 AM

Re: The 'Other Woman'

3 Attachment(s)
Notice the 'Dirt track racing' rims and tires, those will the first to go:lol: Looking at a set of Boss 338 either crome or w/gray centers. Opinions? I also got tubular A-arms with 5lug disc brakes for the front, and will convert the rear with the rearend from my other truck or go the u-pull-it yard and get some axles from a later model truck and just slide into my rear. The engine actually runs very well, just needs an over drive trans, she likes the go juice:devil: It also already has a '68 front end which is more to my liking:smoke:

chevy88 11-01-2009 12:14 PM

Sharp looking truck! I like the 68 front end also. It think it was probably cheaper to buy than restore anyways.

-T- 11-01-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy88 (Post 3597247)
Sharp looking truck! I like the 68 front end also. It think it was probably cheaper to buy than restore anyways.

Thanks chevy88, im pretty sure it will have to be a little cheaper this way, and a whole lot faster!! Tackled one of the first projects tonight. It was lowered in the rear with heated stock springs and an aluminum hollow block that was homemade. The '71 came with lowering springs so i took the rear springs and replaced them and the blocks. The pinion angle is much better now, and it rides better. Next on the list is to get rid of those 31x10.50's on the back with something a little smaller.

And to explain the title of my build, my wife is in school and very busy, so i told her that I had 'another women' that i was spending time with.:metal:

lolife99 11-01-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -T- (Post 3597180)
Notice the 'Dirt track racing' rims and tires, those will the first to go:lol: Looking at a set of Boss 338 either crome or w/gray centers. Opinions? I also got tubular A-arms with 5lug disc brakes for the front, and will convert the rear with the rearend from my other truck or go the u-pull-it yard and get some axles from a later model truck and just slide into my rear. The engine actually runs very well, just needs an over drive trans, she likes the go juice:devil: It also already has a '68 front end which is more to my liking:smoke:

The chance of finding "later model axles", that fit,... is very slim.
You have the narrower 63-70 6-lug axle housing.
You will either need to purchase 5-lug "conversion" axles (from companies like ECE or Moser)
or swap the entire rearend out to the slightly wider 71-72 version.

Looks like you got a very nice truck to start with.
Keep those pictures coming!

Slick67 11-02-2009 11:33 AM

^ Or have the axles redrilled for 5 lugs.

kev2809 11-02-2009 11:44 AM

bag it! that trucks looks like its in great condition

Shon 11-02-2009 05:59 PM

Cant wait to see where this truck ends up!!
THANKS!! for all your help with mine!

-T- 11-02-2009 08:44 PM

Hey bro, post up some pics of the swap, ya know, to keep me motivated!!

I think i will look into just re drilling the shafts that i have now or change the rearend to a later model disc brake rear and just cut the perches off of the 6 lug rear and weld them onto the new one. If you can't tell, I like a project!!

Shon 11-02-2009 08:59 PM

like this one
http://www.herronperformance.com/ass...ttin_60_in.jpg

-T- 11-02-2009 09:53 PM

well, i guess that will do for now!! LOL Now lets see some real pics, burnouts, something. I didn't take it to the exhaust shop today for you to pull it back into the garage:lol:

Shon 11-02-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -T- (Post 3599640)
well, i guess that will do for now!! LOL Now lets see some real pics, burnouts, something. I didn't take it to the exhaust shop today for you to pull it back into the garage:lol:

that's where it sits :ito:

-T- 11-04-2009 08:58 PM

Its on, I ordered my rims and tires today and should have them on by friday:metal: Should have some pics of the wheels tomorrow and pics of them on the truck Fri. We have a small carshow to go to in Greer on sat. Its amazing what you will make yourself do for one show!!! Hoping that the 22's fit in the rear and the 20" up front:smoke: Trying to decide on the motor swap now. I have done half a dozen 5.3 swaps, so I'm leaning that way with a 700R4 behind it. Any thoughts?

-T- 11-06-2009 12:43 AM

so, i got the rims today!! No pics though. Will get some tomorrow!! Swapped rear ends out of my parts truck to get my 5 lug, and everything doesn't exactly 'swap' between the years. Brake lines aren't the same, drive shaft isn't the same, but hey, the rims did bolt on and thats a plus. I am trying to make a small car show on sat. and still have all that to do on the rear plus swapping everything for the front. We will see if it all comes together.

-T- 11-08-2009 10:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the 5 lug swap complete within my 2 day dead line. Lets just say that my back was killing me from working on it on jack stands:waah: None the less, its done and I got it together in time to drive to the car show Sat afternoon. Not before I had to take die grinder to my brand new rims:uhmk: The bore size on the front was too small, and there was an 1/8" lip on the inside of the rim that had to be removed. Anyway, we all made it and here are a few pics.

-T- 11-08-2009 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
and a few more

-T- 11-19-2009 08:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have made some progress in the last few days. Not being able to work has helped alot:lol: I sold the old motor last sunday, picked the 6.0/4L80 on Monday. I got it stripped Monday night and all cleaned up on Tues. Thats when things slowed down. There were 2 manifold bolts broke off flush in the head...got one out...not the other. So, i pulled the head and took it to the local machine shop and it is now out:metal: Unfortunately, in this case, noone stocks 1 head gasket for a 6.0. Guess that means that there aren't too many of these blowing head gaskets, which is good for the future. I will have the head gasket and bolts Friday morning and should have the motor back together this weekend. Motor mount/trans mount should be here Fri or monday.

Shon 11-19-2009 10:26 PM

looking decent!

chevy88 11-30-2009 11:00 PM

What is your truck lowered to on the front and back as the stance looks better than before?

-T- 11-30-2009 11:06 PM

well, before the rims and tires, the springs had been heated. I had gotten a set of lowering springs with the other truck that i had bought a while back. I don't really know what the drop is on the springs. I think that for the most part, it is about the same as before, but the rims fill up the wheel well a little better.

*Dylan 12-02-2009 04:31 PM

Looks great! Did you buy a 5-lug conversion kit from someone? If so, who did you get it from and did you have any problems installing it?

Shon 12-02-2009 04:34 PM

I believe he used parts from the other truck he has that had the 5lug stuff-stock.

chevy88 01-23-2010 10:19 AM

How's the motor swap coming?

FRENCHBLUE72 01-23-2010 11:39 AM

Is she runnin yet??

Shon 01-23-2010 11:59 AM

Yep, and he has swapped from 4l80 to a 400. I got to do some 'stuff' in the tune since no VSS but that is pretty simple.