The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   4L60E column shift linkage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813221)

A1971Blazer 10-15-2020 07:51 AM

4L60E column shift linkage

Getting set to connect my column shift to the 4L60E transmission.
I have two Heim rod ends and a piece of 3/8 rod
I see that several people are using the Lokar kit with the adjustable bracket that attaches to the transmission.
I am planning on machining my own to go there.
The column has about 54º of travel from Park to L1....the bracket on the transmission has about 78º from Park to L1

My question(s):
About how far (radius) is the centerline of the rod connection from the actuator stub shaft coming out of the transmission?
I can slot the piece I make for adjustment, but I'd rather get it right to begin with.

Also about what angle is the bracket set to in the Park position?
I think it would need to be just a few degrees downward in order to let the shifter move more easily out of the Park position and still allow full range of all the gear positions without binding.

I can figure all of this out but I'm hoping for a head start and some time savings...Thanks!

mongocanfly 10-15-2020 09:01 AM

Re: 4L60E column shift linkage

I'm confident you can figure it out....
But I would have to cheat and make a slotted one to find the perfect location...then make the real one based off the slotted one... with 24° diff in travel it would make it easier on me...
The one on my trans is approx 2-1/4" from the trans shifter center to the pin center where the shifter cable hook up.....
In park, the lever hangs down at about the 7oclock position ...the shifter cable comes from the rear..and pulls the lever backwards..
Does your trans not have the lever on it?..

A1971Blazer 10-15-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8822623)
I'm confident you can figure it out....
But I would have to cheat and make a slotted one to find the perfect location...then make the real one based off the slotted one... with 24° diff in travel it would make it easier on me...
The one on my trans is approx 2-1/4" from the trans shifter center to the pin center where the shifter cable hook up.....
In park, the lever hangs down at about the 7oclock position ...the shifter cable comes from the rear..and pulls the lever backwards..
Does your trans not have the lever on it?..

Yes it has the lever..and I have also looked at the cable style...not opposed to that if necessary....but...
I was looking at just a rod directly from the shifter lever down to the transmission lever.
Searching the forum results in several that are connected this way using the Lokar rod kit.
My original plan was to just slot the lever...(similar to the Lokar) then use a bolt thru the slot.....get it adjusted and tack weld it in the proper location

notsolo 10-15-2020 08:55 PM

If you need a photo with a scale LMK I used the Lokar ends on mine and made a longer rod for the 700R4....engine is mounted 3" back. also added a bend for clearance.

A1971Blazer 10-16-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8822927)
If you need a photo with a scale LMK I used the Lokar ends on mine and made a longer rod for the 700R4....engine is mounted 3" back. also added a bend for clearance.

That would be great, thanks...... I was planning on machining a slotted lever today and start experimenting.

I cut the ball off of the lever that was on the transmission, then bent a 3/8 rod to go from the column down to a heim joint.

After a couple of adjustments to the bends, I was able to get it to shift, but the lever radius is too small to allow it to go much past drive without binding.

A measurement of the radius and the approximate angle of your lever at the transmission would help..... and be much appreciated.

notsolo 10-16-2020 12:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tough to get a decent photo, need 2 more thumbs.....bend from the top is about 5" down.....getting an angle from the bottom, I will look for my angle gauge.

notsolo 10-16-2020 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like 2 1/4" -2 3/8"...on my adjustment slot....you might need more.

A1971Blazer 10-16-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8823125)
Looks like 2 1/4" -2 3/8"...on my adjustment slot....you might need more.

Awesome...thanks a lot!
I will slot mine for adjustment
Also yours looks almost horizontal or slightly downward with the transmission...that's what I was most concerned about.....the stock one is down about 15º and that makes it bind if I try to go past drive.
Does your indicator line up properly?

notsolo 10-16-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8823126)
Awesome...thanks a lot!
I will slot mine for adjustment
Also yours looks almost horizontal or slightly downward with the transmission...that's what I was most concerned about.....the stock one is down about 15º and that makes it bind if I try to go past drive.
Does your indicator line up properly?

Indicator is still 3 speed,....this is on a 71 with 700r4. It does line up ok.

kglowacky 10-16-2020 07:38 PM

I started with a home made cable linkage and honestly it was not doable for me. So to my surprise I went and got a factory assembly and with moving the position of the bracket and extending the rod It works perfectly. I would have never guessed it would work like it does.

truckdude239 10-18-2020 05:01 PM

i used the stock linakge on my 71 with 4.8 4l60e

A1971Blazer 10-19-2020 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I machined a new adjustable lever for the transmission....changed the angle to about 5º down and slotted it for some adjustment.
It will shift to all positions but the indicator doesn't line up at each one.
In Drive it's perfect....I'm going to leave as is for now and tweak it when I do the final assembly
Attachment 2055912

Attachment 2055913

ls1nova71 10-19-2020 10:30 AM

You likely won't get the detents to line up perfectly unless you modify them since the column is made for only a 3 speed transmission. Modifying the detents can be done though, but takes some time. If you have a tilt column, then you have to disassemble the column to get to them.

A1971Blazer 10-19-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 8824349)
You likely won't get the detents to line up perfectly unless you modify them since the column is made for only a 3 speed transmission. Modifying the detents can be done though, but takes some time. If you have a tilt column, then you have to disassemble the column to get to them.

After numerous adjustments...that's what I concluded as well.
Although they got closer, still did not align exactly.
Park and Drive are perfect...I suppose that's going to be sufficient.
Thanks!

ls1nova71 10-19-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8824365)
After numerous adjustments...that's what I concluded as well.
Although they got closer, still did not align exactly.
Park and Drive are perfect...I suppose that's going to be sufficient.
Thanks!

That's the two main ones, and what I think most people end up doing after adjusting it a thousand times like you said. This is what I do on the detents of tilt columns. It requires having spare junk column parts though. Post 199. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-wagon-10.html

That is a nice lever you made, is it steel or aluminum?

A1971Blazer 10-19-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 8824378)
That's the two main ones, and what I think most people end up doing after adjusting it a thousand times like you said. This is what I do on the detents of tilt columns. It requires having spare junk column parts though. Post 199. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-wagon-10.html

That is a nice lever you made, is it steel or aluminum?

It's just 3/16 mild steel....I blasted it after I put the bends in it.
I was thinking that when I got it adjusted as best I could, I would make one out of stainless...but probably not necessary.