The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sound Deadener and Heat Suppression (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=722595)

Smitty 11-15-2016 11:34 AM

Sound Deadener and Heat Suppression

Has anyone successfully used any of the products from E-bay or Amazon that doesn't carry the price tag of Dynamat. Or have a recommendation as to what might be a good option. Truck in pieces, on the way to a restoration. Would like something economical but real satisfactory. Thanks

chasinhiway 11-15-2016 12:39 PM

Re: Sound Deadener and Heat Suppression

I know there are cheaper versions but I used Dynamat extreme and am VERY pleased with the results. You can listen to the radio and carry on a conversation while running 70 mph down the road.

ga-stepside 11-15-2016 12:42 PM

I've used FAT MAT http://www.ebay.com/itm/FatMat-100-S...8nqEcA&vxp=mtr on two cars and am very pleased with it. Still not cheap but cheaper than Dynamat. It comes in differ amount if you don't need too much.

67 chevelle 11-15-2016 12:44 PM

I have used fat mat , pretty much the same stuff as dynamat , but less expensive

Rich916 11-15-2016 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fat Mat is a good product, i did the entire cab floor for about $70.00.

demian5 11-15-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich916 (Post 7769150)
Fat Mat is a good product, i did the entire cab floor for about $70.00.

What was the difference? I was thinking of doing that and over the gas tank.

Rich916 11-15-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demian5 (Post 7769157)
What was the difference? I was thinking of doing that and over the gas tank.

It made a very notable difference.I applied behind the tank and not on the tank. make sure you tape all the seams, the road and engine heat causes the adhesive to ooze out a little.

chasinhiway 11-15-2016 04:10 PM

Do a google search fatmat vs dynamat. There is some interesting comparisons.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/gener...d-dynamat.html

RRR18 11-15-2016 04:58 PM

Fat Mat was on mine when I bought it. Compared to my buddies old truck without any deadener it's night and day. I won't ever go without it again. I've used Dynamat before for car stereo things in the past and it worked as it should have also.

bigpaul 11-15-2016 05:29 PM

I have the fat mat in my cab and I wonder if I need insulation also. Any thoughts?

NC_John 11-15-2016 08:46 PM

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

It's a full package. Hushmat/dynamat/fatmat is only part of the equation and it is a waste of money to do an entire interior with it.

Did it in my '70 with 40 series flowmasters dumping right behind the cab and it did a great job.

69 c10 - dsm 11-16-2016 08:07 AM

I just recently purchased "Noico Black 80 Mil 36 Sq Ft Car Sound Deadening, butyl automotive deadener restoration mat and Noise dampening insulation" from Amazon and I have a buddy that uses "road kill" purchased at Walmart.

70cst 11-16-2016 09:41 AM

http://www.b-quiet.com/?gclid=CPGzor...FQGUaQodar4CdQ

I used the above company on the Circuit Rider - worked great.

Rex'69 11-18-2016 07:31 PM

You can buy peel and seal at home improvement stores (lowes in my area) for a fraction of the price as fatmat and it's the exact same thing (except it doesn't say fatmat on it). I found this out after months of research. Another good thing is you don't have to order and wait for it if you run out. As far as insulation you can get frost king duct insulation at the same store. I have my entire daily drive covered in both and the difference is night and day. I've installed custom stereos since high school and wouldn't use the stuff if it didn't work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rex'69 11-18-2016 07:40 PM

You can buy peel and seal home improvement stores (lowes in my area) for a fraction of the price as fatmat and it's the exact same thing (except it doesn't say fatmat on it). I found this out after months of research. Another good thing is you don't have to order and wait for it if you run out. As far as insulation you can get frost king duct insulation at the same store. I have my entire daily drive covered in both and the difference is night and day. I've installed custom stereos since high school and wouldn't use the stuff if it didn't work.
Posted via Mobile Device

frenchy51 11-18-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasinhiway (Post 7769100)
I know there are cheaper versions but I used Dynamat extreme and am VERY pleased with the results. You can listen to the radio and carry on a conversation while running 70 mph down the road.

X2-Don't scrimp-USE DynaMat

Shinysideup 11-18-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex'69 (Post 7771889)
You can buy peel and seal home improvement stores (lowes in my area) for a fraction of the price as fatmat and it's the exact same thing (except it doesn't say fatmat on it). I found this out after months of research. Another good thing is you don't have to order and wait for it if you run out. As far as insulation you can get frost king duct insulation at the same store. I have my entire daily drive covered in both and the difference is night and day. I've installed custom stereos since high school and wouldn't use the stuff if it didn't work.
Posted via Mobile Device

DONT USE THIS GARBAGE. It melts in the heat and smells. It may LOOK the same but isnt dynamat.:sumo:

Rex'69 11-18-2016 09:24 PM

Not trying to argue with you but have you ever seen it melt? My truck is black and it's get over 100 degrees in the summer and nothing has melted in four years. I know this because I had one of my door cards off to replace a speaker and everything was stuck on there same as the day I put it on. I get that people like dynomat but there are a lot cheaper products that work just as well. If you have any first hand experience in it failing I'm all ears.

Dustytrix 11-18-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex'69 (Post 7771969)
Not trying to argue with you but have you ever seen it melt? My truck is black and it's get over 100 degrees in the summer and nothing has melted in four years. I know this because I had one of my door cards off to replace a speaker and everything was stuck on there same as the day I put it on. I get that people like dynomat but there are a lot cheaper products that work just as well. If you have any first hand experience in it failing I'm all ears.

I agree Rex I have used it on 1 car and 2 trucks, never had it melt or smell. I do tape the seams with aluminum tape though. I did my 67 for about $30. Thats hard to beat.

Robznob11 11-19-2016 12:00 AM

Peel and stick duct insulation...18$ a roll. I agree that's hard to beat. Put the regular auto pad under the carpet....bingo....

demian5 05-31-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich916 (Post 7769224)
It made a very notable difference.I applied behind the tank and not on the tank. make sure you tape all the seams, the road and engine heat causes the adhesive to ooze out a little.

Use aluminum ducting tape to tape them?

demian5 05-31-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinysideup (Post 7771958)
DONT USE THIS GARBAGE. It melts in the heat and smells. It may LOOK the same but isnt dynamat.:sumo:

I have it over my generator enclosure in my toyhauler and it has done well, no small or melting.

Robznob11 05-31-2017 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Works good for me!

forestb 10-03-2017 04:33 PM

Did any of you use a heat shield also or do these products do double duty?

demian5 10-03-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestb (Post 8053220)
Did any of you use a heat shield also or do these products do double duty?

I used Fat Mat and the difference is night and day. No heat, less noise...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=739054