The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fuse panel help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=672031)

IHutch5R 05-27-2015 11:03 PM

fuse panel help

1 Attachment(s)
can anyone tell me what fuse is for all the guages? I'm not getting any light on my instruments (speedo, temp, batt. turn signals, etc..) replaced all bulbs but not getting power to any of the bulb sockets. Thanks.

Lugnutz65 05-27-2015 11:55 PM

Re: fuse panel help

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHutch5R (Post 7188501)
can anyone tell me what fuse is for all the guages? I'm not getting any light on my instruments (speedo, temp, batt. turn signals, etc..) replaced all bulbs but not getting power to any of the bulb sockets. Thanks.

Maybe you just have a bad ground or no ground at all (however I believe the cluster itself grounds to the body via the dash). Based on the photo below from my 1965 fuse panel, I'd say the 2nd fuse from the top is for the instrument cluster.

IHutch5R 05-28-2015 12:15 AM

Thank you.. that second fuse down is the only one I'm not getting any power to so I kinda figured on that being the one, but the fuse in it looks fine. I ain't sure where to check from there. Any ideas?

wbc409 05-28-2015 12:19 AM

Check the headlight switch

IHutch5R 05-28-2015 12:34 AM

Okay, headlight's and everything else off it work fine though so I know the switch works.

jtrichard 05-28-2015 12:44 AM

You are NOT getting any power on either side of the second fuse?

IHutch5R 05-28-2015 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrichard (Post 7188630)
You are NOT getting any power on either side of the second fuse?

That's right.. sorry I'm not good with this electrical stuff. I know I would need to check the next soarce but what is that?

Kenfuzed 05-28-2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7188573)
Maybe you just have a bad ground or no ground at all (however I believe the cluster itself grounds to the body via the dash). Based on the photo below from my 1965 fuse panel, I'd say the 2nd fuse from the top is for the instrument cluster.

OMG Lugnutz, you're not driving it like that with those tin foil fuses are you?!

The second from the top is where my panel light fuse is as well. You should be reading 12v off the hot side of that fuse connector with your voltmeter.

PGSigns 05-28-2015 06:33 AM

Also the headlight switch has a dimmer in it for the gauge panel and to turn on the in side light. If you do have power at the fuse the headlight switch is the next place to go.
Jimmy

1963c-10 05-28-2015 08:32 AM

Was the cluster lights working before the current issue or unknown?

I'd replace the 2nd fuse even if it looks good 1st. Its not uncommon for these glass fuses to get small cracks in them.

Also is the cluster harness plugged into the main harness? Possible the clusters been pulled out before and maybe wasn't hooked back up.

Lugnutz65 05-28-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenfuzed (Post 7188687)
OMG Lugnutz, you're not driving it like that with those tin foil fuses are you?!

The second from the top is where my panel light fuse is as well. You should be reading 12v off the hot side of that fuse connector with your voltmeter.

Nope! Never drove it with fuses like that. Those pics were for reference just before I gutted the cab. I have thousands of pics of my truck for reference. Memory tends to fade. Haha!

I'm gonna install a brand new American Autowire Classic Update Wire kit next month. Then I hope to get my truck on the road soon.
I'm all about reliability and safety.

jtrichard 05-28-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHutch5R (Post 7188596)
Thank you.. that second fuse down is the only one I'm not getting any power to so I kinda figured on that being the one, but the fuse in it looks fine. I ain't sure where to check from there. Any ideas?

Check both ends (on the clip not the fuse) of the lowest fuse .... also see if your dome light works... the lowest fuse feeds tail/dome/brake and then feeds up to the panel fuse

IHutch5R 05-28-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrichard (Post 7189078)
Check both ends (on the clip not the fuse) of the lowest fuse .... also see if your dome light works... the lowest fuse feeds tail/dome/brake and then feeds up to the panel fuse

Yeah neither side of the clip are getting power on the second one down. The bottom one is getting power on both sides but my dome light doesn't work.

jtrichard 05-28-2015 12:54 PM

do you have power to the orange wire at the brake light switch?

Crazy Rusty 05-28-2015 01:26 PM

Can you take the box off and see if there are any issues on the back end? Could have a break back there.

IHutch5R 05-28-2015 01:51 PM

Okay, all of a sudden I got the turn signals working and I've got power on both sides of the fuse clips. Not even sure what I did to get that. Haha.. now I'm trying to get all the other lights working.

Lugnutz65 05-28-2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHutch5R (Post 7189161)
Okay, all of a sudden I got the turn signals working and I've got power on both sides of the fuse clips. Not even sure what I did to get that. Haha.. now I'm trying to get all the other lights working.

I had a similar problem in another classic I have. Check the connection where the steering column wires connect to the harness. It's a single harness that runs along the column. I agree that a problem with the steering column harness would not explain everything, but it would create havoc.

IHutch5R 05-28-2015 02:06 PM

I think I got it.. whoever wired in the stereo did it all funky and I think it was shorting some stuff out. Thank you for all the help guys. Love how I can get on here for help.

IHutch5R 06-01-2015 06:19 PM

Okay.. who's still listening. All dash lights work fine but the dome light only comes on when you turn the nob to the on position. Does anyone know how that light is activated?

jtrichard 06-01-2015 06:23 PM

THATS the ONLY way it comes on is turn the head light switch ....MAYBE some of the late custom cab trucks may have had door switches but I have NEVER seen one

IHutch5R 06-02-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrichard (Post 7194297)
THATS the ONLY way it comes on is turn the head light switch ....MAYBE some of the late custom cab trucks may have had door switches but I have NEVER seen one

Okay thanks.. I thought for some reason in my 62' the light came on with the door.