The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random Photos ‘You took’ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794025)

72c20customcamper 12-01-2020 08:49 PM

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

1 Attachment(s)
Few years ago

special-K 12-03-2020 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carpenter bee traps

LockDoc 12-03-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8844452)
Carpenter bee traps

My brother has carpenter bees in Georgia but we don't have them in Iowa. At least not to my knowledge.

LockDoc

yuccales 12-03-2020 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8844542)
My brother has carpenter bees in Georgia but we don't have them in Iowa. At least not to my knowledge.

LockDoc

Our folks gave us a couple of badminton racquets and let us go "bee hunting". Here's a pic of our little fire pit.

1976gmc20 12-03-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8844542)

LockDoc

We have carpenter ants :(

LockDoc 12-03-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 8844555)
Our folks gave us a couple of badminton racquets and let us go "bee hunting". Here's a pic of our little fire pit.

That would be fun. The bees are pretty good size down in GA.

Man that pit is hot! You melt Aluminum in there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8844560)
We have carpenter ants :(

We have those too, big black ones. They can cause a lot of damage to trees and buildings.

LockDoc

Killer Bee 12-03-2020 11:21 PM

for you sunset fans - mom sent this from the farm tonight :)

I would have taken the picture myself but I'm 1800 miles away in pension prison :(

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5pr543mwbgd..._1776.jpg?dl=0

Ol Blue K20 12-04-2020 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8844452)
Carpenter bee traps

I have carpenter bees and ants at the cabin. How do those work Tim? I may need some of those come spring.

special-K 12-04-2020 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8844645)
I have carpenter bees and ants at the cabin. How do those work Tim? I may need some of those come spring.

1/2" hole in the side @ 45* and a 3/4" hole up from the bottom. I'm not sure how great they work. They say hang them every 10'. I got only one in and it definitely was trapped. Not long after I put them up I noticed they weren't buzzing and hovering around so much. I never noticed before, but I guess they only do what they do for a limited time and I came with the traps a little late. I have 6 more jars to have 12 for next year. We'll see how they work when I get them up next spring

Ol Blue K20 12-04-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8844649)
1/2" hole in the side @ 45* and a 3/4" hole up from the bottom. I'm not sure how great they work. They say hang them every 10'. I got only one in and it definitely was trapped. Not long after I put them up I noticed they weren't buzzing and hovering around so much. I never noticed before, but I guess they only do what they do for a limited time and I came with the traps a little late. I have 6 more jars to have 12 for next year. We'll see how they work when I get them up next spring

45* up or down toward the jar? Thanks, I'm going to try it.....

Stocker 12-04-2020 02:45 PM

I have had lots of carpenter bees most years, strangely very few this year. They mostly chew into cedar; I've never seen traps like that before and I wonder if they might be more effective if they were made with cedar?

The bees are tough -- I have used an electric flyswatter on them, knocked them down in a shower of sparks, and watched them get up & fly away. I have also sprayed them with sticky bicycle chain lube in their holes. It works sometimes.

HO455 12-04-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8842285)
How's this for random? When I found this in an antique shop it was labeled "bacon press". Really? An aluminum bacon press, ey? Must be the lightweight model for making curly bacon :lol:. I was thinking it might be a pot strainer but what do I know? :cool:

Pot strainer. For as long as I can remember (the mid 60's) my mom has had one. Although hers has a yellow handle. At one point in the 90's I had to tighten up the rivets for the handle.

Killer Bee 12-04-2020 03:39 PM

I'm going to have to try to make a hundred of those traps.. I probably killed a thousand of them critters past summer..

this pile of sawdust is typical around the pole barns.. while we replaced the overhead electrical, I was replacing these old fuse boxes for breakers.. probably killed hundreds with my cap.. bout every 30sec - 1min swooop!

interestingly, although there are so many of them in the buildings, I've never seen a bunch of them all together at once.. but there'll be a steady stream of them right behind the ones that are killed..

I know it's rednecked with the duplex rigged straight to the panel, but all I had time for and still a vast improvement :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7z2d9r35fio...18776.jpg?dl=0 https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7tvk2l2n6qp..._3788.jpg?dl=0

special-K 12-04-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8844687)
45* up or down toward the jar? Thanks, I'm going to try it.....

Up. They craw up and fall into the jar. I do get them in my cedar but they are just as bad in the pine, hemlock, fir, and poplar.

I like to smack them down, then stomp them. Smacking them down dazes them for a moment, then it's buzz away like nothing happened.

Killer Bee 12-04-2020 10:12 PM

^ haha, the soft dirt floors in the barns you can hardly kill em with boot heels.. they buzz around covered in a silt cloud :lol:

my best luck is swatting them from the side into the sheet metal siding - more often that way they don't get up..

sooo, when's the last time y'all seen one of these on tv?

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/23pxcm87hx4...14356.jpg?dl=0

FleetsidePaul 12-05-2020 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8845037)

I haven't seen that one but my wife bought a "Smart TV' Apparently it's smarter than I am. I can't figure it out. I have to call her to get it to work.

I guess I'm just an analog guy stuck in a digital world.

Ol Blue K20 12-05-2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8844952)
Up. They craw up and fall into the jar. I do get them in my cedar but they are just as bad in the pine, hemlock, fir, and poplar.

I like to smack them down, then stomp them. Smacking them down dazes them for a moment, then it's buzz away like nothing happened.

Thanks Tim, they seem to enjoy my cabin as much as I do but in a different way. :lol:

Steeveedee 12-05-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8845117)
I haven't seen that one but my wife bought a "Smart TV' Apparently it's smarter than I am. I can't figure it out. I have to call her to get it to work.

I guess I'm just an analog guy stuck in a digital world.

Joe? That you? :D

special-K 12-05-2020 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8845037)
^ haha, the soft dirt floors in the barns you can hardly kill em with boot heels.. they buzz around covered in a silt cloud :lol:

my best luck is swatting them from the side into the sheet metal siding - more often that way they don't get up..

They must know how tuff they are, feel invincible, the way they square up with you. It's like, "Go ahead and try. I dare you". Then "SWAT!" No more holes for you! :lol:

Been a long time since I saw the rainbow stripes. Now it's just a whole lotta blue!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8845147)
Thanks Tim, they seem to enjoy my cabin as much as I do but in a different way. :lol:

I know what you mean. I sit in my yard chairs by the screen house and all I hear are a bunch of busy bomber bees zig zagging around. By my barn I could hear them munching away inside the boards. I'll see little saw dust piles and sometimes notice the sawdust falling.

They say if you get the queen you'll get rid of them. Easier said than done.

Antique trucks come in all sizes. This belongs to a member of our ATHS chapter. It's a Crosley, factory built Farm-O-Road.

Killer Bee 12-05-2020 12:01 PM

last time I remember seeing a test pattern on tv was in the 80's after midnight when stations ended broadcasts for the day.. national anthem, test pattern, then snow until morning broadcasts started.. in our house, tv came on in the morning with farm reports and weather.. dad would be sitting up at the edge of his chair with his coffee getting ready for work :)

special-K 12-05-2020 12:32 PM

I grew up with black & white TV. That test pattern, flecked background, and wasn't there a high pitch sound signal as well? Maybe that was when it first came on a while, then just static. That symbol was like a target. I seem to recall the whole thing was kinda scary. Like the world came to an end :lol:. I also grew up during the cold war, so grew up knowing the threat of nuclear attack. Wake up on the couch in the wee wee hours to that screen and, "AHhhhh!!!! We've been nuked!! :ack: ..................... :lol:

yuccales 12-05-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8845150)
Joe? That you? :D

Love that song!

Ol Blue K20 12-05-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8845174)
They must know how tuff they are, feel invincible, the way they square up with you. It's like, "Go ahead and try. I dare you". Then "SWAT!" No more holes for you! :lol:

Been a long time since I saw the rainbow stripes. Now it's just a whole lotta blue!

I know what you mean. I sit in my yard chairs by the screen house and all I hear are a bunch of busy bomber bees zig zagging around. By my barn I could hear them munching away inside the boards. I'll see little saw dust piles and sometimes notice the sawdust falling.

They say if you get the queen you'll get rid of them. Easier said than done.

Antique trucks come in all sizes. This belongs to a member of our ATHS chapter. It's a Crosley, factory built Farm-O-Road.

I like that little Crossley, what's it have under the hood?

Boog 12-05-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8845260)
what's it have under the hood?

A mouse?

Ol Blue K20 12-05-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8845278)
A mouse?

Nice! :lol: