The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Vintage Air Sure what? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=579819)

sqrlnts 06-08-2013 08:44 PM

Re: Vintage Air Sure what?

My mechanical fan is not centered in my radiator. It's much lower so a standard shroud won't fit. A picture is in order.
Posted via Mobile Device

roger55 06-08-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqrlnts (Post 6114111)
My mechanical fan is not centered in my radiator. It's much lower so a standard shroud won't fit. A picture is in order.
Posted via Mobile Device

I suggest you go to electric so you can do a good shroud. I think you would be a lot happier with the performance of the A/C cooling as well as the engine cooling. More reliable, better performance and looks a lot better too. Cost is not going to be that much different.

Have I mentioned I dislike pusher fans? :frog:

sqrlnts 06-08-2013 10:22 PM

I agree, I think a pusher is just a bandaid. My previous two electric fans (cheap) have both let me down which have jaded me towards them. I know they were both no name fans so I am going to look into a reliable one. I already have the controller and the shroud so its a no brainer.

Thanks for the advice!

roger55 06-08-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqrlnts (Post 6114257)
I agree, I think a pusher is just a bandaid. My previous two electric fans (cheap) have both let me down which have jaded me towards them. I know they were both no name fans so I am going to look into a reliable one. I already have the controller and the shroud so its a no brainer.
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I won't use a cheap or no-name either. Just Spal or Maradyne.

CaptRMW 08-11-2013 09:23 AM

If you buy from VA and have an issue and call customer service you will soon find out that they don't give a rip about you or your problem. "Well I guess next time you should buy from our competitor" was their response. I am glad they made me aware of this attitude and I will take their advice.

roger55 08-11-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRMW (Post 6214861)
If you buy from VA and have an issue and call customer service you will soon find out that they don't give a rip about you or your problem. "Well I guess next time you should buy from our competitor" was their response. I am glad they made me aware of this attitude and I will take their advice.

That is not their reputation. Nor is it my experience with them at all.

As far as I'm concerned, you took a cheap shot here.

To try and give any credibility to what you just said, you need to provide the whole detailed story of your experience with them.

Russell Ashley 08-15-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRMW (Post 6214861)

I'd also like to hear the whole story of how this came about. There are some things about my VA setup that I'm not in love with, but I have no complaints about their customer service.

C10_Dreamin 03-21-2014 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the middle of my frame on resto and I purchased the vintage air system for my 81 C10 w/factory air. I am done shaving the firewall where the hoses will be routed but now am stuck figuring out a way to mount the compact evaporator unit without drilling holes like the instructions ask, any ideas on how to mount the brackets highlighted without drilling or welding?

Attachment 1231213

screaminchevypickup 03-22-2014 12:10 AM

I always weld mounting points to the inside of the firewall before paint.. I used threaded bungs..

Greenlee 03-22-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_Dreamin (Post 6588188)
I am in the middle of my frame on resto and I purchased the vintage air system for my 81 C10 w/factory air. I am done shaving the firewall where the hoses will be routed but now am stuck figuring out a way to mount the compact evaporator unit without drilling holes like the instructions ask, any ideas on how to mount the brackets highlighted without drilling or welding?

Attachment 1231213

I installed the kit in an 83' a few months ago. If you need any measurement or anything for the holes I would be glad to help. I can't think of any way you could mount it without drilling some holes.

By the way, I thought the instructions for the 73-87 sure fit kit were pretty good. I didn't run into any major problems with the installation.

C10_Dreamin 03-22-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup (Post 6588239)
I always weld mounting points to the inside of the firewall before paint.. I used threaded bungs..

I haven't painted yet. Just smoothed the firewall with a good quality filler and primed it...I got a mig welder but I don't want to ruin all that work. Guess I didn't think about it beforwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUXUG6UlZk

C10_Dreamin 03-22-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 6588420)
I installed the kit in an 83' a few months ago. If you need any measurement or anything for the holes I would be glad to help. I can't think of any way you could mount it without drilling some holes.

By the way, I thought the instructions for the 73-87 sure fit kit were pretty good. I didn't run into any major problems with the installation.

I think I'm going to weld some bungs like screaminchevy mentioned.

dwcsr 03-23-2014 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_Dreamin (Post 6588433)
I think I'm going to weld some bungs like screaminchevy mentioned.

Did the same on a 1950, but we didn't use any of the brackets that came with it we made our own and it fit much better.

Ratpin 04-09-2014 09:16 PM

My only dealings with them were one of the universal type heaters I put in my '54. It wasn't bad. The directions were clear enough, but the ducting hose in the kit was not long enough to reach both of my defroster vents and it was an odd size. I called them up explained the situation and they shipped my more hose free of charge including shipping. I was happy, but again it was a pretty simple and straight forward install package. Customer service was right though.