The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ordered a 4" TC EZride lift, vendor sent me 6" lift rear springs.. should I use them? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596970)

Haggar 09-16-2013 01:59 PM

Ordered a 4" TC EZride lift, vendor sent me 6" lift rear springs.. should I use them?

Hi there,

Noob question:

I recently picked up a 72 Jimmy, and am in the process of some upgrades. I've heard a lot of good about the Tuff Country 4" EZ ride lifts, so I ordered one up, with the new rear springs, not blocks. So, everything came on friday, and I notice the rear springs are the 6" lift models (the 19670 springs). TC's catalog shows both 4 and 6" springs, so I assumed I would get the 4's with the 4" lift kit (19470 springs)

Now, I have read on here some people prefer this combo with 4" fronts and 6" rears.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would you run the 6" rears or see if I can get them swapped for the 4" springs?

Pertinent info for making the decision:

This will be riding on 33x12.5 tires, and is used for street driving, and sand dunes. The drivetrain will be lightened, mostly on the nose, with an all aluminum LS2/700R4/NP208, which should be ~150 lbs less than the 350/SM465/NP205 combo.

I have heard the EZ 4" springs ride better than the 6" springs. Shocks will be Bilstein 5100 series at all 4 corners.

I have many years of wrenching on 4x4s (mostly Jeeps, which our family has outgrown), but these are new to me.

Thanks!

JJH Jimmy 09-16-2013 02:37 PM

Re: Ordered a 4" TC EZride lift, vendor sent me 6" lift rear springs.. should I use t

I got the same thing in the 4" EZ ride kit that i ordered from suspension connection. I called customer service and they told me that they are a 6" spring for 73-87 trucks but a 4" for 69-72 trucks.

Haggar 09-16-2013 02:53 PM

Re: Ordered a 4" TC EZride lift, vendor sent me 6" lift rear springs.. should I use t

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6272026)
I got the same thing in the 4" EZ ride kit that i ordered from suspension connection. I called customer service and they told me that they are a 6" spring for 73-87 trucks but a 4" for 69-72 trucks.

Ahh, interesting. That is where I ordered them from as well.

cleszkie 09-16-2013 06:17 PM

That makes no sense to me. I understand that the rear springs are the same length for those two series of trucks, so if a spring lifts one vehicle 6 inches, it should lift both of them six inches. So if you ordered a 6 inch lift you would get a 6 inch front spring and the same 6 inch rear spring? Something is screwy.

drunkbus 09-16-2013 06:50 PM

"so if a spring lifts one vehicle 6 inches, it should lift both of them six inches."

Not if the factory 69-72 rear springs have more arch to them than the factory 73-87 springs. If a 69-72 already sits 2" higher than a 73-87 then a 6" 73-87 spring will only lift a 69-72 4". If what they are stating is true, putting stock rear 73-87 springs on a 69-72 would lower the rear 2". Is that confusing enough?

JJH Jimmy 09-16-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 6272360)
That makes no sense to me. I understand that the rear springs are the same length for those two series of trucks, so if a spring lifts one vehicle 6 inches, it should lift both of them six inches. So if you ordered a 6 inch lift you would get a 6 inch front spring and the same 6 inch rear spring? Something is screwy.

I don't know for sure, but I think it has do do with the length of the rear shackle. On the 73-87 I think they are longer.

Haggar 09-16-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 6272360)

Well, this assumes that the stock springs on both have the same arch.

In a simplistic view, if the stock height spring on a 1st gen had say 2" of arch, and the 2nd gen was flat, then if the new spring had 6" of arch, it'd add 4" to one and 6" to the other.

I'm just trying to make sure before I install them that its correct. Anxious to get them on, then the next phase begins: building the LS2, and then swapping it in.

Haggar 09-16-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6272026)

When it was all installed, did it look correct?

Chulisohombre 09-17-2013 06:36 AM

The spring mount is also a lil different. Pretty sure when I got my 4 inch pro comp springs it was more like 6 inch as well. It sits pretty good though. Slight front stink bug but I added ord extended shackles up front so it sits èqual.
Posted via Mobile Device

JJH Jimmy 09-17-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar (Post 6272807)
When it was all installed, did it look correct?

I have the springs installed but my Jimmy is not all put together yet. I don't have the tailgate, bumper, seats, interior or top on it yet and the rear is 1" higher than the front measuring from the center of the hub to the wheel well. I think that it will probably be pretty close when complete.

Haggar 09-17-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6273412)
I have the springs installed but my Jimmy is not all put together yet. I don't have the tailgate, bumper, seats, interior or top on it yet and the rear is 1" higher than the front measuring from the center of the hub to the wheel well. I think that it will probably be pretty close when complete.

Thanks :) Your build thread has given me a few good ideas for my 6.0 swap as well:metal:

turp mcspray 09-17-2013 10:13 AM

Blazer lifts come with the next size up, for the rear spring. This gets rid of the saggy rear stance. My 2 1/2" blazer lift came with 4" rear spring. My 6" blazer lift came with 8" rear spring. Install and go!

Haggar 09-17-2013 10:51 AM

Sounds like its time to start spraying bolts. Thanks for the info guys!

Burt4x4 09-18-2013 01:03 PM

Pre-made spring packs are made based on weight specs of the vehicle.
The Butt of a PickUp is much lighter than the Butt of a K5 or Jimmy.

Most all spring pack vendors do not make K5 or Jimmy specific spring packs because the pick ups are the same eye to eye specs and there just isn't a huge market for K5/Jimmys so they simply list the same packs used for the pickups.
It has everything to do with weight.
I put 4" fronts and 5.5" rears on mine.
:mm::chevy::mm: