The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Are all these early trucks noisy going down the road? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=815211)

Asshat 12-02-2020 08:38 PM

Are all these early trucks noisy going down the road?

Got the new clutch installed, went with a 12”. Everything bolted up just fine, trans slid right into place. Took it for a drive and it drives better than before but it still sounds like a Pettibone crane driving down the road. Damn, are all these trucks this loud? I know the clutch isn’t making noise, just seems like the trans or driveshaft is noisy.

oem4me 12-02-2020 09:25 PM

Re: Are all these early trucks noisy going down the road?

4 speed? Yes, noisy. Sounds like a concrete mixer to me. Straight through fourth gear 1:1 is quiet.

66x3 12-02-2020 10:24 PM

Makes me think of riding the school bus when I was a kid

Captainfab 12-02-2020 10:52 PM

Yes these old trucks are noisy, especially a C20 with the Eaton HO52/72. They just are not going to be quiet in stock form.

AcampoDave 12-02-2020 11:29 PM

What have you got for floor covering at this point?

Asshat 12-02-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8844054)
What have you got for floor covering at this point?

Nothing yet; when I drove it today, the trans cover was still off.

I know where you’re going, floor insulation and a mat.

AcampoDave 12-03-2020 12:21 AM

Fer sher, and my truck was noisy as all get out without the floor too. Incredibly so, actually.

Asshat 12-03-2020 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8844077)
Fer sher, and my truck was noisy as all get out without the floor too. Incredibly so, actually.

There’s a few different types of sound deadened. What do you guys recommend for a 63? The pre-cut?

I’ll probably just do a rubber floor mat.

AcampoDave 12-03-2020 01:23 AM

For the deadener, I used Kilmat and went over it with Noico Red 315 mil closed cell foam as documented by me in this thread. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=814233

Asshat 12-03-2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8844101)
For the deadener, I used Kilmat and went over it with Noico Red 315 mil closed cell foam as documented by me in this thread. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=814233

Thanks for the tip. 20 sq ft for $49.00, that’s not bad.
That should cover the floor, right?

AcampoDave 12-03-2020 02:38 AM

Yeah, but dont overlook the benefits of using the butyl based deadener strips on the large flat parts first. Especially the outer door skins and the tranny hump. (I didn't put closed cell foam in the doors though because water gets in there, but the butyl sure did make them a whole lot less tinny.) I saw a deal on the web where a guy uses a cymbal. He didn't need to cover the whole thing with butyl to stop it from resonating...just 30 to 70 percent coverage kept it from droning on. Butyl stops the resonance and closed cell foam absorbs the noise and insulates too.

Asshat 12-03-2020 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8844112)
Yeah, but dont overlook the benefits of using the butyl based deadener strips on the large flat parts first. Especially the outer door skins and the tranny hump. (I didn't put closed cell foam in the doors though because water gets in there, but the butyl sure did make them a whole lot less tinny.) I saw a deal on the web where a guy uses a cymbal. He didn't need to cover the whole thing with butyl to stop it from resonating...just 30 to 70 percent coverage kept it from droning on. Butyl stops the resonance and closed cell foam absorbs the noise and insulates too.

So, you’re saying to install the butyl material on the trans cover first, then install the closed cell foam on top of that?

AcampoDave 12-03-2020 11:06 AM

Yes, the first layer is deadener. I covered around 70 percent of the entire floor using strips and strategically placed squares and patches. Some folks go with less, some folks cover everything.
The next layer for me was closed cell foam.
After that, I put jute pad and carpet which has an option called "mass backed" which means the underside of it is really heavy on the plastic material that binds the fibers. They say that helps to further deaden sound. Edit: and open holes in the firewall transmit a huge amound of noise.
I made sure to fix evey one of those too.

oem4me 12-03-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8843952)
Got the new clutch installed, went with a 12”. Everything bolted up just fine, trans slid right into place. Took it for a drive and it drives better than before but it still sounds like a Pettibone crane driving down the road. Damn, are all these trucks this loud? I know the clutch isn’t making noise, just seems like the trans or driveshaft is noisy.

When I first responded to your initial question, i kinda assumed you were talking about transmission noise, from the actual trans (SM420 4 spd). Regular road noise is not something that's ever bothered me. In fact, my three speed column shift truck and others with automatics are not that bad in my view. Sure these trucks are way louder than your average modern aero travel capsule that we all enjoy these days, but I rather like the "total experience" of a vintage vehicle. All my trucks are bone stock with the factory rubber mat and no insulation other than the factory installed felt and thin foam pad underneath the mat.
I honestly think heavily insulating the truck would detract from the whole thing, but maybe that's just me.

Asshat 12-03-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 8844255)
When I first responded to your initial question, i kinda assumed you were talking about transmission noise, from the actual trans (SM420 4 spd). Regular road noise is not something that's ever bothered me. In fact, my three speed column shift truck and others with automatics are not that bad in my view. Sure these trucks are way louder than your average modern aero travel capsule that we all enjoy these days, but I rather like the "total experience" of a vintage vehicle. All my trucks are bone stock with the factory rubber mat and no insulation other than the factory installed felt and thin foam pad underneath the mat.
I honestly think heavily insulating the truck would detract from the whole thing, but maybe that's just me.

I get what you're saying; the noise I hear has to be from the trans, mostly. I have not got it up to speed to really hear road noise.

And, I don't mind the experience of driving an old truck, I have just never had a truck this old before.

Asshat 12-03-2020 01:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8844196)
Yes, the first layer is deadener. I covered around 70 percent of the entire floor using strips and strategically placed squares and patches. Some folks go with less, some folks cover everything.
The next layer for me was closed cell foam.
After that, I put jute pad and carpet which has an option called "mass backed" which means the underside of it is really heavy on the plastic material that binds the fibers. They say that helps to further deaden sound. Edit: and open holes in the firewall transmit a huge amound of noise.
I made sure to fix evey one of those too.

There are a few options from the Truck Shop for sound deadening. Which one do you recommend?

Are all these held in place with spray adhesive?

AcampoDave 12-03-2020 07:41 PM

I'm not sure what to recommend , I only have experience with the products I mentioned. I do think however that in the case of going with the bare essentials, I would go with the two sided version of the product on the left. I did use something very similar myself as my last layer before the carpet and didn't have to use any adhesive. I also agree with what OEM4me says as long as I'm not driving for more than an hour at a stretch. But I love a long drive in my old truck and my hearing is not what it used to be so I do tend to go to greater lengths to conserve what I still got.

LostMy65 12-04-2020 12:53 AM

Turn up the volume on the 6x9 Triaxial speakers.

leadsledray 12-05-2020 11:02 AM

sound dampening everywhere you can. i put some inside the door panels, back cab wall. i also made a headliner out of masonite and sandwiched a piece of jute between that and the metal roof skin to help with noise and heat from the sun.

panel fan 12-05-2020 03:53 PM

Could be rear end ,if noisy it could resonate right up the drive shaft . I've had a few different 3rd members of different ratios in mine with different noises at different times like accelerating , or off throttle . I finally found the ratio that works best for me that was fairly quite but had a slight lash when going between on and off the gas so I had a shop go over the rear end who adjusted the lash , and now the thing screams like a banshee when accelerating . I'm told the gears have to wear back in , but after 6,000 miles it still screams so I will replace it over the winter.
My truck is a one ton panel and I can hear every little noise from the back so a quieter rear end is a must . My trans. is a t5 which has been there through all the rear ends and is fairly quite .

John

Asshat 12-07-2020 12:56 AM

Ok - I had a friend drive the truck; stuck my head out the window and the noise was obviously coming from the rear end. He also did the same and agrees.
Also, standing outside the truck, as he pulls away or drives by it is pretty obvious more noise is coming from the rear of the truck.

My question, would this likely be worn bearings? Do you guys think replacing the drum/wheel bearings remedy this problem?

Steeveedee 12-07-2020 10:09 AM

If you are not leaking lube from the wheel bearings into the drums, they are probably OK. Can you post up a video with the noise?

Asshat 12-07-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8846267)
If you are not leaking lube from the wheel bearings into the drums, they are probably OK. Can you post up a video with the noise?

Really?

Unfortunately I did not take video.

Steeveedee 12-07-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8846390)
Really?

Unfortunately I did not take video.

Just take it for a spin with someone else holding the phone. You don't need a video. Maybe just fire the phone up and lay it on the seat? Maybe that will work. Wheel bearings usually start leaking oil due to wear and the seal not touching the axle on part of its diameter. You will usually see a leak before you hear a (rear) wheel bearing, in my experience.