The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   High Low Horn question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=764196)

Cbo68 05-20-2018 11:55 PM

High Low Horn question

I have a pair of high low horns laying around. My truck is a 68 so it doesn’t have the option for both horns. My question is what do I need to do wiring wise to use both of these. My current harness only has the 1 green wire. Do I need to splice in a jumper wire to the other horn off this green wire? If not can I use just 1 of these horns and does it matter which one?

OregonNed 05-21-2018 12:16 AM

Re: High Low Horn question

I've thought of doing this on my '68 as well. I don't see why splicing a jumper into the green wire wouldn't work. Not sure what the bracket would be to mount both, though - the one thing I would have to figure out..

HO455 05-21-2018 12:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of my 67 dual horn set up. It uses a common factory jumper wire and plug to hook the two together. If you look close on the bottom horn you will see it. I didn't install them but I have seen the jumper on other GM vehicles.

Cbo68 05-21-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8265084)
Here is a photo of my 67 dual horn set up. It uses a common factory jumper wire and plug to hook the two together. If you look close on the bottom horn you will see it. I didn't install them but I have seen the jumper on other GM vehicles.

Nice I’ll give that a try. Also noticing my horn brackets are shapped a little different. Instead of having a L at the end mine are just straight. Either way I think I can make it work. Thanks for the photos.

FirstOwner69 05-21-2018 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of a factory jumper wire itself.

54blackhornet 05-21-2018 03:46 PM

I’ve noticed some core supports are pre drilled for the dual horns others not, I located a set of duals with jumper but my gmc core is not drilled for the second horn.

FirstOwner69 05-22-2018 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 8265518)
I’ve noticed some core supports are pre drilled for the dual horns others not, I located a set of duals with jumper but my gmc core is not drilled for the second horn.

What year is your GMC? My early '69 Chevy never had a mounting provision on the original core support for a high horn. I THINK the high note horn became an option sometime during the '69 model run. I don't recall seeing any Chevys after '69 without the provision (hole with a nut welded on the core support under the left headlight).

Here's picture of my current core support from a '71 or '72 showing the mounting positions for the 2 horns. Also note that my '69 still had the washer bottle on the core support. Most later '69s I've seen had them relocated to the fender.

Steeveedee 05-23-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 8265834)
What year is your GMC? My early '69 Chevy never had a mounting provision on the original core support for a high horn. I THINK the high note horn became an option sometime during the '69 model run. I don't recall seeing any Chevys after '69 without the provision (hole with a nut welded on the core support under the left headlight).

Here's picture of my current core support from a '71 or '72 showing the mounting positions for the 2 horns. Also note that my '69 still had the washer bottle on the core support. Most later '69s I've seen had them relocated to the fender.

Interesting! I bought replacement horns after the compressor for the cheesy air horns my FiL put on the truck many years ago died. I hunted around for a place to mount them, and ended up putting them on the grill side of the radiator core support so that the noise was directed towards the person who needed more noise than I did. I ain't moving 'em now!

OregonNed 05-23-2018 03:31 PM

I found the dual horn wiring harness on the Lectric Limited website for $20

54blackhornet 05-23-2018 04:12 PM

My GMC is a 71, no provision for second horn. The dual horns I located where from a 69 C20, even listed on spid.