The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tranny Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=232054)

mateo1279 03-18-2007 01:22 AM

Tranny Question

(My first post)

Anyone ever have a 350 auto leak only when it's on a hill? I have been commuting with my 62' for about a year, but have always parked it on a flat surface. I recently moved and have now parked it (for a few weeks) on a slight slant (rear lower the front). I noticed a pool of redish fluid gathering over the course of a day or two, then it stopped. I figure it's the tranny (fluid color, texture and smell) but am open to any imput.

Thank you for the Hand!!!

-Matt

62 short step 03-18-2007 09:26 AM

Re: Tranny Question

The seal where the drive shaft goes into the tranny could be bad. Its very inexpensive to change it. I used to have a truck that did this, it didn't matter if it was on a hill or flat.

Chevy Fleetside 03-18-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 short step (Post 2081223)
The seal where the drive shaft goes into the tranny could be bad. Its very inexpensive to change it.

:agree:

krue 03-18-2007 10:08 AM

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Which way is the truck facing on the hill? The leak spots on a TH-350 are the pan, the front seal, rear seal, shift shaft seal, speedometer bullet seal and gear o-ring, the kickdown cable o-ring and the dipstick o-ring. I may have missed something, I don't remember what seals the vacuum modulator.:confused:

62 short step 03-18-2007 10:41 AM

I don't remember what seals the vacuum modulator.
I believe an o-ring does.

mateo1279 03-18-2007 04:49 PM

It's facing up hill. I'll climb under today and see if I can find the leak, then take a picture. I may need help identifying anything other than the pan.

Thanks again!!!

-Matt

mateo1279 03-18-2007 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok,
Crawled under and saw a few drips hanging off the pan (pic attached) and also the cross member behind the pan. I couldn't really see where the leak orginated as the underside of my truck is messy to say the least! I can tell it isn't where the dipstick tube enters (looked relatively clean), so there is one possible area checked.
But here's a twist. I checked the fluid level... it reads above full. I know the puddle is transmition fluid (reddish) and I know a lot is on the ground, but why would the stick say full??? Am I taking crazy pills.

Thanks again,
Matt

zeitlerusmc 03-18-2007 06:22 PM

just do the rear seal and a tranny pan gasket. the crossmember is probly soaked with the fluid flying off and collecting on the crossmember while your driving, both gaskets are cheap!

krue 03-18-2007 06:43 PM

You may actually be draining fluid out of your torque convertor by parking on a slope.

mateo1279 03-18-2007 07:46 PM

Sounds good! I plan on repacing the pan gasket and rear seal, as both of these seem to be in the areas the drops seem to form at. The pan gasket seems straight forward, and I will post again if I have trouble with the rear seal.
In regards to the torque converter, would I see fluid on it if it were the cause of the leak? (I don't see fluid on it, but I am an amature in the transmition department).

Thank you all and I will update when the repair is complete.

-Matt

zeitlerusmc 03-19-2007 12:52 PM

knock out the cheap and inexspensive stuff first! then if the problem persists then start looking in other directions. sometimes the fix to the problem is the smallest, cheapest part!

mateo1279 03-19-2007 11:06 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll start with the pan gasket (and filter while I'm in there)...

-M

mateo1279 03-23-2007 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the trans support and pan tonight. 2 questions:

1. I had to stop because of mild thunderstorm. I stopped with the pan and filter off. Will I have any problems if I won't have a chance to put the pan on untl Sunday (3 days)?

2. This is the first time I have done this repair. I attached a pic of the inside of the trans pan. The fluid was red and clear, but there was sludge on the bottom of it. Also, the magnet looked like a roundish coin with spikes. After cleaning it was a smaller square. Is this a symptom of anything bad, or is this normal?

Thank everyone!

-Matt

Chevy Fleetside 03-23-2007 10:25 PM

You should put the pan back on even if it is only a few bolts.. Just to keep the moisture out so nothing rusts...

mateo1279 03-24-2007 12:12 PM

Sounds good! I was worried about that. i ended up going ot around midnight and bolting it up because I ws paranoid!

-Matt

hewlett2002000 03-24-2007 08:05 PM

im lucky to have a shop so i can work through sleet and snow(like texas ever sees snow). i just hope we dont have to move again cause that will be hell now, i have a 62 in peices in the shop, a 84 and a 66 in the driveway, and a 81 burb on the way. im getting quite a collection.

mateo1279 03-25-2007 01:00 AM

Wow, that is a collection! My family and I will be relocating soon to OR. and hopefully get a garage (read:shop!). I am sure my collection will grow slightly at that point.

mateo1279 03-26-2007 11:58 PM

All Right!
I have everything back together. I had to put in a new speedo cable (old one was thrashed!).
Thank for all the help! I am really happy to have found such a supportive board.

All the best

-Matt