The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Home Made Tools (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810209)

67C10Step 08-06-2020 01:06 PM

Home Made Tools

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone got photos of those home made gadgets you made to get the job done? You know, the thing you need for that third hand or whatever to get a quick, non repetitive job done?

I had one the other night in the shop trying to press new lower ball joints into my lower A arms. They are off the truck and painted so I thought I would use my 12 ton press to install them. Problem was I didn't really have the right fixture to hold the A arm for the pressing. I only have two to do and it was about 10:00 p.m. so there wasn't any going to the parts store to borrow a ball joint press. A little thought, some left over lumber and here is my lower ball joint fixture. Piece of 4x4 with a hole cut in it for the ball joint stud and reinforced with more than just a few wraps of aluminum tape. Just wanted it to last for two pressings and it worked like a champ.

What you guys got that could inspire the rest of us?

truckster 08-06-2020 02:46 PM

Re: Home Made Tools

1 Attachment(s)
I needed a spindle nut socket for my front end, and when I went to O'Reilly the kid behind the counter looked at me like I had asked for a plasma fusion inductor. So I went home and made one:

weq92f 08-06-2020 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I needed this pulley on and didn't have the proper tool so...

mongocanfly 08-06-2020 03:17 PM

To many to count...usually if I need it I make it....

RustyPile 08-06-2020 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I restored 3 old Cushman scooters and needed an engine stand so I could work on the engines.. I designed one and cut out the pieces.. My grandson was studying to become a welder so I gave him the pieces to weld up the stand..

A1971Blazer 08-06-2020 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a plethora of homemade specialty tools that I have made
I suppose I cheat because I own a machine shop
Here's one I used just last week to install a TrueTrac locker

case spreader for GM 12 bolt truck
Attachment 2038677

Greg58 08-06-2020 06:38 PM

That is pretty cool, I would never think you could stretch cast iron!
Greg

72c20customcamper 08-06-2020 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have lots of home made tools for cars . But I've been doing knives and hatchets for about 5 years . My hookaroon hand forged made the handle out of ash .

shifty 08-06-2020 08:40 PM

There were a couple of these threads over in the Shop forum over the years. This is the one that sticks out in my head, but I swear there was another one in the 2006-2008 era also : http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=5012999

yuccales 08-09-2020 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You know how we all save stuff. Had a broken breaker bar handle. Rusty Proto ball peen head with no handle. Put the two together, made one of my favorite little hammers. I use it for small roll pin installs quite a bit. ;)

Boog 08-09-2020 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I needed a NPT tap on a saturday late afternoon so I whipped this up from a 1/2” piece of pipe. Worked like a champ and have never needed it since. I cut 3 grooves in it with my grinder. ;)

87chevy.com 01-18-2021 12:08 AM

Plier bead crimping tool for small diameter tube. Making 5/8 and 3/4 heater core lines for another engine swap.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1163/N2yRka.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2797/FIVLXN.jpg

Works pretty nice, it leaves a nice smooth bead. Make one light pass, then full crimp the 2nd pass. If they started out as pliers vs crimper/cutters, I imagine it wouldn't make the marks on the tube..

Clint

LONGHAIR 01-18-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg58 (Post 8788073)
That is pretty cool, I would never think you could stretch cast iron!
Greg

Oh yeah, you definitely can, but you shouldn't have to with a GM 12 bolt. That's Dana 60 kind of stuff.

ChevyRacefan 01-20-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 8789134)
You know how we all save stuff. Had a broken breaker bar handle. Rusty Proto ball peen head with no handle. Put the two together, made one of my favorite little hammers. I use it for small roll pin installs quite a bit. ;)

That is nice.
I have a few ratchets , that are dead. and hammers with cracked/junk handles.
I'll have to cut/grind down the ratchets head, but , ..

racecougar 01-25-2021 10:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8787995)
To many to count...usually if I need it I make it....

Same here.

Not sure that this really applies, but I made it yesterday and thought of this thread, so what the heck...

Using my metal band saw yesterday, I decided enough was enough. The flimsy sheetmetal cart that came with it required that I kneel on the floor every time I wanted use the thing, it was way “tippy”, it was a pain to move around, and it had next to no storage space.

I took a break from working on the C10 and turned a bunch of scrap steel into a cart that’s actually usable. For a total investment of zero dollars and a couple of hours of my time, I’m quite happy with it. It's stable, easy to move, places the saw at a comfortable height, and has storage for metal scraps, blades, the table for vertical use, etc. I may make it pretty someday (clean it up and paint it), but I doubt it.

Myself 01-27-2021 08:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You guys will love this! A powered hacksaw for larger steel. An old man I know built it years ago and gave it to me about 2 years ago. The motor I believe is either an old belt drive blower or washing machine motor. The idler pulley is off an 80's Ford. The gearbox is from a commercial ice maker. The switch at the arm joint kills the power when the cut is finished. The bolt on the end of the arm is to hang a 5# weight off of. Just clamp your tubing in the vise, set the blade on it, hang the weight, start it up and walk away. :metal:

1966burb 01-30-2021 11:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Getting ready to pull the engine out of my 66 burb. Took an old cherry picker that I picked up on CL and adapted it to a 3 point hitch hook up on my tractor.

chtr65 01-30-2021 08:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a tool I had made up from a friend of mine for taking dog dish hub caps off of deep dish rims. This prevents the painted rim from getting chipped edges. It works as the same principle as the old slid hammers. Hook on back edge of hub cap, and slid the collar back to break the hubcap loose.

Overdriven 03-09-2021 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 8789134)

Pretty much the same story. Although if I’m honest I cringed a little bit cutting off the head of this broken Torque Wrench. But everyone in the shop loves the “Torque Hammer” and makes jokes about turning it up or down. There’s a small tack weld to keep the adjustment from spinning while swinging though.

The wrench is just made from 1/4 sheet and to fit into a specific place. I didn’t have an extra wrench to modify so cut this one out. Hardened it as best I could with a torch and some oil, been holding up so far.

Richard2112 03-09-2021 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
C-clamp and modified hole saw. Valve spring compressor

mikelom 05-05-2021 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chtr65 (Post 8872384)
Here is a tool I had made up from a friend of mine for taking dog dish hub caps off of deep dish rims. This prevents the painted rim from getting chipped edges. It works as the same principle as the old slid hammers. Hook on back edge of hub cap, and slid the collar back to break the hubcap loose.

Need a tool like that. Thanks for the idea.

Redneck Rydes 05-06-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966burb (Post 8872087)
Getting ready to pull the engine out of my 66 burb. Took an old cherry picker that I picked up on CL and adapted it to a 3 point hitch hook up on my tractor.

I did the same thing for my tractor,works great

1966burb 05-06-2021 11:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just tried my modified Cherry Picker on my 66 burb engine swap. Worked great.

HAULIN' IT 05-06-2021 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966burb (Post 8872087)

THAT is Awesome!! New Holland decal & all...Got to love it! Lorne