The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Outer Fenders Back On!!!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742454)

In The Ten Ring 07-16-2017 12:37 AM

Outer Fenders Back On!!!!!

It was pretty easy. I am still getting over the shock.....the shock of seeing the truck go back together, instead of just coming apart! *Also great to get my bed back, I had my repainted fenders on there since April.

I had to go get a friend to help but we did it. Core support back on and now outer fenders, lined up with door lines and symmetrical gap on either side. Hood tomorrow!

Thanks to all for advice. Big thanks to Wes at Classic Heart that answered my last question on the subject. So nice for a vendor to answer questions.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-16-2017 12:56 AM

Re: Outer Fenders Back On!!!!!

What kind of shimming did you have to do? The only shims on my original body were at the bottom rear RH fender. Course go figure, "they" used washers to shim the top RH cowl cover, and the hood still didn't line up correctly. Could have been the hood though.

I'm in tear-down mode and a little envious. I may be assembling twice. Once dry, and figure out the moldings for a non-molding truck (fun).

In The Ten Ring 07-16-2017 01:13 AM

Shimming? What's "shimming?" LOL

I haven't used any yet......might end up having to. The only shim my truck had was passenger side, forward-most cowl bolt. Just one there, nothing anywhere else.

I have a bunch of shims, having bough a kit and some came in a bolt kit I bought. I was going to use the original bolts that came out of it but I did not re-coat those with anything really rust-resistant, so I have been using replacement bolts from Classic Industries that appear to be parkerized.

I'll keep you guys advised. *You'd have to be pretty bad off to be envious of any of my progress. :lol:

truckster 07-16-2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7991788)
I'll keep you guys advised. *You'd have to be pretty bad off to be envious of any of my progress. :lol:

Yep, I am that bad off. I hope to see my fenders back on my Blazer by the end of the summer. But that's a long way off right now.

In The Ten Ring 07-16-2017 07:08 AM

I just had another look at my truck (yes ran out to the garage as soon as I could) and I realized I missed the bolts at the bottom of the fender! Oops! Once I get those in I'll have a better idea if shims are needed.

I think I'll go forward with the hood today.....I had wanted to wait till I replaced the windshield washer pump and hoses but I'll have to remove the seat again to have space to get that old pump out anyway and I'm not going through that again right now. I'm sure I can do it all with the front end back on. I guess I've have to climb over the grill and engine to reach those :lol: but that's how it goes!

Truckster, if I could get to you I'd help you with reassembly, I should have some experience by then, but it's a long drive to come to you! :lol:

68panelman 07-16-2017 08:31 AM

Hearing about this truck a long time. We need pictures or none of this ever happened;)

midniteblues 07-16-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 7991859)
Hearing about this truck a long time. We need pictures or none of this ever happened;)

:agree:

Since no more p, bucket lets see some new found picture posting skills.

For now we will just take your word that "they are on" :metal:

TXBoudy 07-16-2017 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A wise man once said, "Pictures please!"

In The Ten Ring 07-16-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBoudy (Post 7992200)
A wise man once said, "Pictures please!"

Pics aren't so easy for me. My phone is a flip phone so pics are out there. Didn't have my camera with me at the time. I could go take pics for you guys but then I'd have to go to my parents' house to download the pics. Photobucket no longer allows posting pics without ransom and I don't have an account anywhere else yet. Sorry.

I should take some pics though, just to document the progress. The new paint looks great but it doesn't match the shade on the rest of the truck. Expected that of course, no way around it, just wish I had bought a couple gallons of that new shade rather than just a quart.

*I went through this debate with myself "use original bolts or new?." I wanted to use original bolts but I used Evaporust soak, wire wheel, and coated with NAPA Rust Treatment on each. Only after that did I notice flash rust on one bolt so treated that wasn't even left outside! YIKES. So that might not have been a good idea. I've been using new bolts from Classic Industries, they appear to have a parkerized coating. I'll keep my originals though, maybe have them recoated later. Company guy I spoke with suggested cadmium coating actually.

Tomorrow I am going to try and test-fit grill and see where I am. I guess if that goes on I can tighten everything up and put on the hood. :) :) :) :)

*I noticed I got super picky yesterday about a bit of dirt on an outer fender. OMG.....I won't want to drive this thing anywhere near brush or even tall grass! So much for taking it hunting this fall. :lol:

ApacheIvan 07-16-2017 04:50 PM

Pictures man!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-16-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7991788)
Shimming? What's "shimming?" LOL

I haven't used any yet......might end up having to. The only shim my truck had was passenger side, forward-most cowl bolt. Just one there, nothing anywhere else.

I have a bunch of shims, having bough a kit and some came in a bolt kit I bought. I was going to use the original bolts that came out of it but I did not re-coat those with anything really rust-resistant, so I have been using replacement bolts from Classic Industries that appear to be parkerized.

I discovered two more shims. One 3/16" shim on each front cab mount. Wasn't sure if that was standard, but page 86 in the assm. manual shows them as "shim as needed".

Nope, I stand envious, though making progress.