The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What is the best SHOCK for the SOFTEST ride ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=495899)

Steve Hafner 11-27-2011 10:03 AM

What is the best SHOCK for the SOFTEST ride ?

. . . .

I'm looking for the softest riding shock that is available for my 70 C-10 two wheel drive.

The ones that were put on during the restoration are too stiff.

It rode very smooth with it's old worn out shocks !!!

I'm not concerned about how it handles in the curves - I don't drive like that ( ANYMORE !!! )

Has anyone found a shock that doesn't make you feel every bump ?

. . . .

68gmsee 11-27-2011 10:50 AM

Re: What is the best SHOCK for the SOFTEST ride ?

I anxiously waiting for replies to this one. Last ones I got were Monro matic and I don't like the way they ride either.

usmcchevy 11-27-2011 11:34 AM

I'm happy with my KYB Excel-G (GR-2) shocks. What shocks do you have so we have a starting point?

50bomb 11-27-2011 11:47 AM

Air Shocks?

50bomb 11-27-2011 11:59 AM

Sorry I mean " Maybe try airshocks for a better smoother ride". Yea my dad had them on his 63 nova and would give it the rake look. He like them and said they were nice back then. So I am sure like you said they would be alot better now. Or maybe those coil over shocks would work too? Never had the coil over but maybe try them or someone knows.

domeier 11-27-2011 12:48 PM

Go down to the parts store and tell them you want the cheapest shock they sell. Works for me!

Dark Knight 11-28-2011 12:05 AM

What domeier said is right. I bought the cheapest shocks I could find and my big heavy truck rides like a Cadillac down the road. I wish I could get my '89 4x4 to ride like that. It'll beat you to death. lol

hayhauler71 11-28-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hafner (Post 5033092)
All I know now is that they are YELLOW !! I'm waiting for the guy who put them on to get back to me - I'll post what he tells me as soon as I know.

Monroe gas magnums were yellow for the past 25 years and they are far the most heavy duty shock and harsh ride you could ask for. Back in the days lots of people *****ed about the harsh ride with them shocks and we changed them out for something else.

Indyuke 11-28-2011 12:28 PM

I have Monroe Sensa-tracs with new springs. They seems to ride pretty smooth, especially when I have about 300lbs in the bed.

Keep in mind springs and shocks work together. Soft shocks with new springs will give you a very bouncy truck. Soft shocks with weak springs will give you a truck that rides like a caddy, etc.

Stocker 11-28-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyuke (Post 5035240)
I have Monroe Sensa-tracs

Never owned them, but just about everything I hear about them is positive, including a plush ride.

I remember the old Monroe Gas Magnums. Started out firm but became mushy too soon in my experience. I switch to KYB Gas-A-Justs.... good shocks but too firm for a soft ride.

Classic69 11-28-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyuke (Post 5035240)
I have Monroe Sensa-tracs with new springs.

X2 here...and im happy with my ride :)

CC69Rat 11-28-2011 01:15 PM

I use Bilstein, I know a lot of people don't like them but I have had nothing but good luck with them. They'll be on my C10 too. I have them on by S10 DD, and they're like butta ..

stsalvage 11-28-2011 01:42 PM

it has a lot to do with what rear end you have in it.Do you have the ladder bars or leaf springs.it depends on the tires you have on it as well.

I have the BFG TA tires and there very smooth

Reason why i say ladder bars Vers leaf spring

leaf spring is always going to be a rougher ride the coil spring more confert

50mercfan 11-28-2011 03:10 PM

i'm sold on monroe sensa-trac. put them on my corvette, went from go-cart to almost cadillac. very impressive to me.

50bomb 11-28-2011 03:37 PM

Well really I just use regular old fashion shocks. CHeapest mention above. If I wanted a smooth ride I would just buy a new truck haha. I like them old and bouncy, Like my women! haa

fastwillie 696969 11-28-2011 06:25 PM

koni shocks

jackyl9999 11-28-2011 06:59 PM

Monroes are made in the USA btw.

Steve Hafner 11-28-2011 07:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stsalvage (Post 5035356)
it has a lot to do with what rear end you have in it.Do you have the ladder bars or leaf springs.it depends on the tires you have on it as well.

I have the BFG TA tires and there very smooth

Reason why i say ladder bars Vers leaf spring

leaf spring is always going to be a rougher ride the coil spring more confert

. . . .

The ORIGINAL heavy duty coil springs that came from the factory are still on my truck and very well WORN with 198,000 miles on them.

The second picture shows the yellow color ( I still haven't found out what brand they are )

The third picture shows the 235 75 15 tires on stock steel wheels.

. . . .

Steve Hafner 11-29-2011 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
. . . .

I just found out the shocks that are on my truck now are: Monroe Gas-Matic LT ( they aren't EXTRA Heavy Duty )

I read a few reviews on these and OF COURSE, some people said they were too stiff and some said they weren't !!!

STIFFNESS is in the "butt" of the beholder !!!

Has anyone put these on their truck ? I AM someone who likes the "Caddie" ride.

Do you think I'll notice a difference if I buy the "cheapest" shock that will fit on my truck, like has been said ?

Thanks for ALL your help - I never could have done this restoration without this website !!!

. . . .

domeier 11-29-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hafner (Post 5036881)
Do you think I'll notice a difference if I buy the "cheapest" shock that will fit on my truck?

I know I did... but I guess I'm sort of cheating. I just replaced the Godawful stiff 4" lift springs on the front with stockers, and pulled the blocks off the back to get my truck back to stock height. The shocks that came off were some expensive brand of nine foot-long, whoopdeehoozit offroad things. They'd probably work well at raising a house off its foundation.

Steve Hafner 11-29-2011 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
. . . .

The guy who restored my truck also said that my old shocks could be pushed in and out without hardly any resistance.

Do think the soft ride I had is GONE ?

Even the cheapest shock available probably won't be as soft as it was !!!

. . . .

Steve Hafner 12-08-2011 06:36 PM

. . . .

Anymore thoughts ?

Dunenutt 12-08-2011 07:07 PM

Cheapest shocks available...

Or if you have alot of cash, Fox, King, Koni, ect. will build you anything you want.