The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   The "In over my head" build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=385110)

LT7A 02-04-2021 10:42 AM

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8874510)
Sheeeeet man - all my rides get the fuzzy dice treatment! :mm:

Haha, I don't know you, but I figured you could handle it if I gave you a little bit of crap. Seriously do like the truck a lot and will look forward to your update. If it is rustoleum I should be able to hunt it down. I like the natural look of most parts, but not so much when they start to rust. And the paint on your caliper looks the closest to the cast iron that I've seen.

-Greg72 04-27-2021 03:46 PM

I recognize this truck!

Saw it on Instagram, and I remember following it as MIGHTASWELLK5 there until my account (and all my photos) disappeared unexpectedly...

Still scratching my head on that one.

-G

SeventyOne 07-17-2023 07:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Man I haven't updated this in 2+ years! :lol:

A lot has changed with the Blazer!

I finished my Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 MPFI install and it's been killer. Highly recommend!

Attachment 2278700

While I did that I upgraded to the Dakota Digital Gauge cluster. It connects to the PF4 system to pull in gauge date - but mainly i just want to keep an eye on AFR. I also installed a GPS speedo unit so I could do away with my speedo cable.

Attachment 2278701
Attachment 2278702

Next I had the paint/body guys install the Trique Mfg Altman Easy Latch. It's such a nice mod not having to slam my doors shut any more!

Attachment 2278703
Attachment 2278704

SeventyOne 07-17-2023 07:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then I got the glass tinted and took the whole family camping! The Blazer did awesome up slow windy mountain roads, stayed cool, and didn't miss a beat!

Attachment 2278705
Attachment 2278706

Then, poor planning on my part, but I wanted to drive it the 225+ miles to San Luis Obispo for the C10SloDown topless so promptly took the top off and hung it in my garage rafters :lol:

Attachment 2278707

I had amazing time down in SLO (I'm headed back again in a few weeks for the 2023 show) and had to hit up Pismo for a quick photo op before headed home!

Attachment 2278708

SeventyOne 07-17-2023 08:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Flash forward to this spring...

I've been working with my brother (same brother from this post 13 years ago LMAO http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=28) on getting his 65 C20 on the road after sitting for nearly a year.

We needed to finish rewiring it, lower the suspension, cutting off the old crappy flat bed (new one coming), bobbing the rear end, converting to power disc brakes and replacing every brake line on the truck in about 8 weeks.

We barely got it done :chevy: but proud to say he was able to make it to our local Castro Valley Car Show and we had our first car show together (insert cute brother moment here)

Attachment 2278714

At the car show the Blazer won its first award! I'm still in slight disbelief, honestly.

Attachment 2278715
Attachment 2278716

Anyways here's another shot of my bro's truck:
Attachment 2278718

Eventually he has some big plans for this truck including a cummins swap and air bags. Should be fun!

And since I can upload 1 more pic here's a shot with SF in the background:

Attachment 2278726

SeventyOne 07-17-2023 08:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Then, aside from the trophy THIS is probably what I'm most excited to share. I bought a new aluminum fabricated grille from Engineered Vintage OVER A YEAR AGO and it's just been sitting in my garage. :waah:

My brother owed me some labor and he gladly came over and helped me FINALLY get this absolute work of art installed:

Attachment 2278721

Attachment 2278722

Attachment 2278723

Attachment 2278724

Attachment 2278725

It's stunning. It completely changes the look of the front end and wakes it up. Absolutely the best cosmetic upgrade I've made to the truck. Plus it's functional as I'm no longer scared of breaking off pieces of the stock plastic grille :metal:

Oh and I installed some NOS/vintage bumper guards along the way haha

Alright that's it! That's all my updates over the past 2 years.
I'm headed to SLO with my Brother taking his C20 in a few weeks so maybe I'll post some pics from that show.

Thanks for reading everyone!

NDM 08-14-2023 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8590910)
9/9/19 - Getting Wired :mm:

Had a productive day Sunday afternoon and called in sick today so i could work on the truck alllll dayyyy. Worth it - just hope they aren't reading this :lol:

Sunday i worked on more dynamat on the floors and up the firewall. Still going for that 25-50% coverage. I did put a higher concentration on the firewall and footwells though.

Then today I focused on the American Auto Wire kit and getting all the stuff that needs to be behind the dash installed. I had a lot of worry about doing the wiring but once i got into it it's not that bad! Pretty plug and play, and other times you need to crimp some connectors to move forward.

A few question marks along the way - I have one connector that comes from the steering column bundle...I think it's supposed to attach to a post on the back of the cluster - can anyone confirm?

Attachment 1937239

I have the same issue here in my 72 Blazer. Did you ever figure out where it goes? I realize that this post is WAYYYYYY old.

1rippen6 08-15-2023 08:59 AM

Thanks for the update!

tim71 08-15-2023 09:40 AM

Very impressive!

72 paul 04-22-2024 05:42 PM

Great build,Might you share on your 3 hr solution on gettin top back on with the push on seals.Thick up there at wind shield.Goin thru same.Thanks for any reply.Paul.....

SeventyOne 04-22-2024 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 paul (Post 9307377)
Great build,Might you share on your 3 hr solution on gettin top back on with the push on seals.Thick up there at wind shield.Goin thru same.Thanks for any reply.Paul.....

It was a nightmare honestly - at one point i had long screwdrivers up through the bedside holes, through the double wall top bolt holes and using the shank of the screwdriver to leverage the top forward to get other bolt holes to line up.

Thinking about it now it cold have broken something inside the top and i'd of been F'd. But it worked.

Rethinking it now...perhaps getting the thick upper chunk of rubber at the top of the windshield header good and warm for better squish/pliability could have helped.

all i can say is go slow, be patient and slowly cinch down the bolts a long the way.

My top sat on the truck for3 years before i pulled it off 2 years ago. I'm contemplating putting it back on and I REALLY hope I don't have issues again :waah:

72 paul 04-22-2024 10:59 PM

Hey now thanks for your reply.Slow goin but it will work out.Them pads at header are thicker than nos pads.Iv'e got 2 sets nos glue on and may cut the pads and try that.Very nice truck you did.Paul....

SeventyOne 04-23-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 paul (Post 9307536)
Hey now thanks for your reply.Slow goin but it will work out.Them pads at header are thicker than nos pads.Iv'e got 2 sets nos glue on and may cut the pads and try that.Very nice truck you did.Paul....

curious how much thicker they are? wonder if you could just shave them down...

72 paul 04-23-2024 03:37 PM

Hey now,got it on ok with not much hassel with push on.Lifted up top over header and worked out ok than first try.Thought was gonna be pain but massaging and drawing in with front bolts worked great.Got all bed rail bolts in as well..Difference in pads is abut 3/8.The push on squished in better than I thought..Keep on truckin,Paul....

SeventyOne 04-23-2024 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 paul (Post 9307721)
Hey now,got it on ok with not much hassel with push on.Lifted up top over header and worked out ok than first try.Thought was gonna be pain but massaging and drawing in with front bolts worked great.Got all bed rail bolts in as well..Difference in pads is abut 3/8.The push on squished in better than I thought..Keep on truckin,Paul....

Seems i just had the wrong approach reinstalling the top. Good to know!