The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   help with quench and head gasket thickness (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=553381)

one low c10 11-24-2012 10:27 PM

help with quench and head gasket thickness

Have a question about an engine I am building and hope someone here can help me out! OK here is what I am working with...1979 350 block, I have taken to the machine shop. They checked the bore (4.00) honed, cam bearings, freeze plugs and hot tanked it. i have a new crank, recon rods, speed pro flat tops with 4 valve reliefs and a compression height of 1.56, comp xe268 cam, vortec heads, performer rpm intake and a holley 600 dual feed double pumper. the block and heads have not been cut at all. my question/problem is about quench. I am trying to get as close to .40 as possible. If I run a .015 steel shim head gasket am I cutting anything to close as far as piston to valve clearances or anything? should i go thicker just for safe measure? sorry about the long thread but Ive never put a motor together worrying about quench and compression ratios. Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help

INSIDIOUS '86 11-24-2012 10:36 PM

Re: help with quench and head gasket thickness

Don't worry to much about it. And you may be happier with the xe262 it actually mikes more power than the 268 75% of the time and even the 25% it's usually only down by 3-10 hp overall. I'm doing the same build myself just with a 262cc
Posted via Mobile Device

one low c10 11-24-2012 10:47 PM

so dont worry about using the .015? I am nervous about running a comp cam at all. I have been reading lots of problems with them going flat. The cam and heads were given to me (new cam and redone vortecs) running this cam with these heads makes me nervous too lol. I am buying this kit because it was highly recomended by a few people. http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spri...d-flat-tappet/

INSIDIOUS '86 11-24-2012 10:53 PM

As long as the vortecs are clearanced for the cam your fine. Get the head gasket that will keep your compression in check
I have had many comp cams. None have failed me. Most cam company's get their cam blanks from melling. Buy break in oil and break in the engine proper and your fine. Run zinc additive every oil change and your good to go
Posted via Mobile Device

one low c10 11-24-2012 11:09 PM

good to hear, thanks! that spring kit Im getting says there is no need for machining the heads. I hope switching everything from my old heads over to the vortecs is worth it. im gonna be out 300.00 by the time im done and thats with free vortecs. any idea what horespower/ torque i would be realistically looking at?

INSIDIOUS '86 11-25-2012 12:08 AM

About 350 hp 420tq conservative
Posted via Mobile Device

jrblanke 11-25-2012 12:17 AM

If the cam did not come with lifters, you will want to get some new lifters for it.

one low c10 11-25-2012 12:29 AM

sorry wasn't clear....it was a cam kit w/ lifters. thanks tho! I'd be happy with those figures. It is just going to be a cruiser but I want to take advantage of any power there is to be had with it. too bad my truck probably weighs close to 4k lbs. Id be happy if it went mid 14's

INSIDIOUS '86 11-25-2012 01:13 AM

Depending on gearing you could hit 12s. Good compression and a good high flow intake and exhaust with a 750 you could actually be closer to 400hp
Add higher ratio rockers and the power will go up greatly
Posted via Mobile Device

KQQL IT 11-25-2012 02:35 AM

Make it hook. Get it reliable then work on hooking if you're intending on drag racing. My 73 went from 13.5 to 12.20's with gears, traction bars converter and tires. The mph has stayed at 109/110 mph..
Posted via Mobile Device

bk2life 11-25-2012 04:12 AM

some autozone felpro head gaskets and your good to go.

if your heads are going to the machine shop to be checked, should atleast have them decked to make sure their flat. and then a small port job will help out.

just dont know your budget. world products (dart) makes a replacement iron head thats ready to run and will make more power then the vortecs, for about the same price as having yours rebuilt.

one low c10 11-25-2012 07:16 AM

The heads are fresh and were free so I'm going to keep those. Exhaust is going to be long tubes into 2.5 pipes, h pipe then probably thrush welded mufflers turned down before the rear. The rest if the drivetain is a th350 with a stock converter and 3.73 gears. Right bow I'm running rallies but will probably end up running a 20 inch wheel
Posted via Mobile Device

INSIDIOUS '86 11-25-2012 01:50 PM

Add a 2000 stall and it will be a lil more happy and so will you. Just make sure to add a trans cooler. You will love this setup. Will have gobs of torque like a truck should and with the gearing and exhaust it will sound nice and be a great daily driver. Swap in a 700r4 someday that's built a little bit and you will have more fun driving it too
Posted via Mobile Device