The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Outer Window Sweeps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783958)

MiraclePieCo 03-25-2019 08:17 PM

Outer Window Sweeps

1 Attachment(s)
Talking about the rubber flaps that slide in a slot inside the door window opening to seal and wipe your side windows and prevent rattling.

I've replaced these on a couple of AD trucks, always with extreme difficulty - or in the case of my current panel truck I wasn't able to get them in at all. I thought, no way were factory assemblymen going through this much hassle to install these! Now I find that many vendors are selling generic extruded rubber seals that bear no resemblance to originals. What many are selling has a T-shaped base. When I chiseled my old rubbers out, they had a Y-shaped base.

I did some research and found that Classic Parts sells the original-style y-shaped seal (part #03-711 Outer Rubber Window Seals). And at $5.95 it's not like they're expensive. I bought some and they slip right in effortlessly. If you're replacing your window sweeps do yourself a favor and get this type.

Below is a photo profile of the original style, Classic Parts style, and the generic style that most places sell. Notice how huge the t-style base is; no way will it fit in the door slot without extreme measures!

Volfandt 03-25-2019 10:03 PM

Re: Outer Window Sweeps

I bought a set from Classic Parts for my 49 about 6 yrs ago and I second that they fit & work.

mr48chev 03-25-2019 10:34 PM

Thanks, that is one to put in the notes for later. I wish I could find bulk lengths of both the inner and outer though.

MARTINSR 03-26-2019 01:06 AM

Thank you, just placed my order.

Brian

jbarron 03-26-2019 09:03 AM

Too late for me.
I sanded the T shaped ones down to the Y shape.
Not fun.

The rubber cowl vent and side vents are too thick also and require modification.

Matt_50 03-26-2019 09:07 AM

Mine looked like the ones on the right. Real pain to put in and I needed to trim a little. Are they wider?

MiraclePieCo 03-26-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt_50 (Post 8494859)
Mine looked like the ones on the right. Real pain to put in and I needed to trim a little. Are they wider?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbarron (Post 8494857)
Too late for me.
Not fun.

Yes, painstakingly trim the T-shape ones, then slice your fingers trying to force them in - been there, done that. It was a real relief to get the other y-shaped style.

Dan Bowles 04-12-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbarron (Post 8494857)
Too late for me.
Not fun.

The rubber cowl vent and side vents are too thick also and require modification.

Who did you get yours from? I used Classic Parts and no issues. Of course, no original to compare to so there was that! I may be fat, dumb, and happy. And wrong!

MARTINSR 04-12-2019 11:28 AM

I just received mine that I ordered the day that thread was posted about these. They had an issue with the other part I ordered (the pair of little pieces that go over the ends top of and bottom of the center inner windshield moulding) so I just got them. This is from Classic Parts of America and the part number is 03-711 and only $5.95 for the pair.

You probably already got them but I thought I would let you know. The rubber I am comparing it with is an original I got out of one of my doors. it's not flawless, but damn close as long as it's not to big sticking out where it hits the glass that is.

Brian