The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Air tool upkeep... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=101591)

Longhorn Man 04-25-2004 12:27 PM

Air tool upkeep...

I have always been told to oil the tools first thing in the morning,and that's it.
I have been seeing ppl lube at the end of the day, and they say the oil "soaks into the metal" and makes it all last longer.
This is maintnance for daily use, not like when you only use the impact once a week or something, and in a shop...th humidity does get high durring the summer, but not like tools bein carried in a tool box in the trunk of your car or something...
How do you oil your tools, and which would be better, oil first, or oil last?

dmurphy68 04-25-2004 12:36 PM

oil air tools ? I did not know you had to do that lol. I only oil mine when they quit working.

cdowns 04-25-2004 12:59 PM

i've got those litte things that hold a half ounce or so of oil on most of my tools and just try to remember to keep them full,i usually fill after use

Chevy67Tk 04-25-2004 01:26 PM

When I was working in the truck shop I had an old ketchup squirt bottle that I would kept light weight oil in and after my shift I would squirt a little in my impacts and grinder then leave them set till the next time. Found you don’t need to put a lot in or it just makes a mess. Now that there not used every day I’m lucky if they get lubed once a month.

1972C10 04-25-2004 02:43 PM

I use 3 in one oil maily because it is handy and lightwieght.

Marvel mystery oil works well too . I dont oil them daily but i should I oil them when i think about it or when the impact wont bust loose something. wd-40 seems to take gunk out of them or at least it blows out alot of dirty oily air.

cableguy0 04-25-2004 02:46 PM

my dad has had air tools that went 15 years without being oiled usually not a good idea but i usually dont oil untill they start to not sound right you can hear when they need oil

Josh 04-25-2004 03:14 PM

I generally oil my tools at the start of each day, if you keep them oiled and well maintained, even teh cheap harbor frieght air rathets/die grinders will last forever. My dad has a die grinder thats been used everyday for hte past 10 yrs, still works great, was a ahrbor frieght cheapy too... Proper oiling will make em last forever.

barn9 04-25-2004 06:40 PM

I usually put a couple drops or so of air tool oil in and run the tool a couple seconds before I put it away, that way it is ready to go next time I need it.

Palf70Step 04-25-2004 06:43 PM

At the suggestion of a friend I made an portable system for my compressor. Hook the tank into one connection, it'll run through an oiler system, the other connect is non oiled for when I do paint or just pump up tires and all. I have marked the one hose very clearly (different color too) so I know which one has been used with the oiler. Don't have to rememeber to oil them now, they get it automatically.

69ride 04-25-2004 09:24 PM

beginning of the shift with only CP air tool oil. For my CP tools. Crazy? ...maybe:crazy:

Gordo 04-25-2004 09:41 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil in my neumatics, once a week. Probably 8 to 10 drops into the inlet and one quick blast of air usually on friday.

supercheyenne 04-26-2004 01:56 AM

I just oil them when they need it by sound or speed. (as mentioned previously)

I've been known to spit into them in convienent situations. But be sure to oil them asap if you do spit in them, it's not good.

sneakysnake 04-26-2004 10:48 AM

I would have to say "If you wait till you hear a difference then the damage is done" I dont think it makes all that much difference if you oil first thing or after a days work, if you put to much its gonna blow out the excess either way.

PHOENIX 04-26-2004 02:05 PM

I put one or two drops of oil into the tool I am going to use. Then I hook the air up and run it a little bit. I then wipe any oil that came out and get to work. I do not use my air tools that often so I only oil the tool I am going to use right before I use it.
Most air tools will tell you (instructions or stamped near the air inlet) to oil daily with 1-2 drops.
I use the Marvel air tool oil, I love them smell of it too :)