The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Behind the seat subwoofer box pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=449526)

1971ChevyTruck 02-27-2011 01:10 AM

Behind the seat subwoofer box pics

Can I see some pics of different sub boxes made to go where the stock tank is. Finally ready to tackle this part of the truck.

Robertjust777 02-27-2011 01:17 AM

Re: Behind the seat subwoofer box pics

im looking to do a custom fiberglass box but i have seen one done here on the fourms but. i dont remember who it was but it was nice and im looking to do something like it im sure people will post some pics soon

squirel 02-27-2011 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not really a box but here is mine

stich626 02-27-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirel (Post 4516930)
Not really a box but here is mine

I like that,, it's so K.I.S.S.
IS the side speakers 6 by 9"s
did you block off the area above, that runs beside the rear window,,

squirel 02-27-2011 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes they are 6X9 's. I was out at our local pick n pull looking for the speaker covers and found a Pontiac Sunfire door pads and cut them out out and then as I was walking back there was a 95 Cadillac with Bose speakers in it. Cost me 12 dollars for all of it :) As for the area above, that runs beside the rear window. I am not sure of which area you are referring to but maybe this picture will help

Red68 02-27-2011 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is mine, not quite as fancy as Squirels, I like what he did in the corners. My custom made kick panels have 6 1/2".

1971ChevyTruck 02-27-2011 09:35 PM

Both of you gave me some ideas. Squirel how does the sub sound in that?

Jparks 02-27-2011 10:18 PM

Red that's a clean simple setup, probably gonna end up doing something similar
Posted via Mobile Device

squirel 02-27-2011 11:40 PM

The sound is good but do not have the seat in yet. It shakes the dust of the truck :metal:

DrtyJack75 03-01-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red68 (Post 4517774)
Here is mine, not quite as fancy as Squirels, I like what he did in the corners. My custom made kick panels have 6 1/2".

any dimensions on your box? air space? Im debating my system right now.

finadic 03-03-2011 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres mine

DrtyJack75 03-03-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finadic (Post 4526870)
heres mine

How did they round the corners, is it fiberglassed?

That's nice...how's it sound?
Posted via Mobile Device

jimmydean 03-03-2011 01:51 PM

I just started roughing out my box and amp rack since the amp I was going to use seems to no longer be available. As soon as my fuel cell gets here, I'll pull the tank for good and start the long process.

2 amps, 2 10's, and 2 6.5's will be behind the seat.

Bad70sbchevy 03-13-2011 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. 2 Fullsize 12" Pioneer Subs, 300W Jensen Amp, fan cooled enclosure.

DALTON 03-14-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finadic (Post 4526870)
heres mine

do you have any close up pics of the top seam and the corners? is it glassed? thanks in advance for the info,,Im trying to figure my corners & the top seam out now

entourageguy 03-15-2011 05:50 PM

Do the subs need an open port in the enclosure? Are there certian size areas for the subs according to size of sub?

Bad70sbchevy 03-15-2011 07:39 PM

It all depends. There are two types of boxes, ported and sealed. Ported boxes have openings in the box that allow the box to "resonate" producing more base at a specified frequency depending on the opening. You can get very carried away with different formulas for tuning these kind of boxes (sometimes the manufacturer will give specs for a typical opening), but the simplest boxes and most popular is the sealed box (what I did). These boxes have to be air tight or sealed to work. As for the box volume, usually the manufacturer will specify a volume for the box. Shape usually doesn't matter, or if it does its not enough to make a difference generally. One thing to note though usually the manufacturer gives a range of volumes. Smaller volumes produce tight base which is good for rock music and bigger boxes tend to give a loose or lower base typically perfect for rap music.

entourageguy 03-15-2011 07:42 PM

if your doing 2 subs in an enclosure should they be divided or can they share the same space?

Bad70sbchevy 03-15-2011 07:55 PM

I believe they can share the same volume (someone double check me though) as long as there in phase (they go in and out at the same time, if you wire them up the same they should be) and they are the same kind of sub woofer. I want to say you would use double the volume of a single sub though since the subs are displacing twice the air. On mine though I just went ahead and ran separate volumes.

stich626 03-15-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entourageguy (Post 4555019)
if your doing 2 subs in an enclosure should they be divided or can they share the same space?

in a sealed box, divide..
ported either way, but I divide

Bad70sbchevy 03-15-2011 11:46 PM

Just out of curiosity, why does a sealed box have to be divided?

1986swb 03-16-2011 03:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my recent installation. Pioneer 12" flat subwoofer (TS-SWX310). Rated at 1000 watts. In the last pic, I re-routed the bottome amp wire behind the amp board and driver's side speaker bracket for a cleaner look. Just didn't get a chance to take a new pic.

TurboSixPiston 03-24-2011 06:34 PM

2 sharing the same volume in an enclosure (be it sealed or ported) is doable and will not inherently damage the speakers, and won't automatically sound bad either. JL has sold boxes like this so it's not a "do it and you're a loser" type of deal.

However, the problem with it is that you need more volume than you would for one sub. This could potentially lead to over excursion and damage to the subs because of the loss in suspension control, particularly in vented enclosures. This possibility depends on how much power you are sending the subs, and the size of the airspace. Compound loaded enclosures do not apply to this.

So, it's not all that hard to put a board down the middle of the box and create seperate sealed chambers, and it is good insurance regardless of the type of box. You would need to add a second vent in a ported enclosure.

Two subs will only be louder than one sub if you give them both a greater total amount of power as you did the first sub in the beginning. This is because adding another sub to one that is recieving 100 watts will divide that power between them, now making 2 subs with 50w each. To increase the sound output over the one that was taking 100w, you will need to add more power. This is assuming you're using a single channel amp.

I can't imagine anybody wanting more than one well powered sub in a sealed box, especially in trucks with a teeny cab like ours. Properly done single sub output can exceed the threshold of pain.

To those of you unsure on how or why to properly construct a box, see number 110 in the directory on the side of this page. http://www.bcae1.com/

It is a good site to bookmark if you are building your own system and have questions about the process.

I didn't mean for the post to be so long winded, but there is a tremendous amount of depth to the subject. You never know it all, no matter how long you've been doing it.

67cheby 04-09-2011 02:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here is some progress pics of mine will be fiberglassed smooth on the front matching the cab contours and contouring the speaker rises back into the box