The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A/C Center Vent Plug Set (LMC item) - anyone use this? Help or hurt flow? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=623812)

jocko 04-05-2014 08:39 PM

A/C Center Vent Plug Set (LMC item) - anyone use this? Help or hurt flow?

Pls see Item 15 on here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=65

It's an a/c center vent plug kit. Note that it only plugs part of the system - i.e. eliminates somewhat redundant hoses and routing. Looks like a good idea to me - anyone done this?

Space is at a premium down there - having only a single hose running from the center vent diverter to the center vent seems to make more sense to me.

Thoughts?
Thx, jocko

Already Gone 04-05-2014 08:59 PM

Re: A/C Center Vent Plug Set (LMC item) - anyone use this? Help or hurt flow?

Looks like a good idea to me.

Andy4639 04-05-2014 10:59 PM

I made my own and it seems to blow out harder. It's been this way close to 20 years now I guess. I took a plastic cap and plugged it off then taped it.;):chevy:

JimKshortstep4x4 04-06-2014 08:28 AM

I used a rubber sheet and hose clamped it over the left side connector. It increases the air flow toward the driver some but it makes putting the hoses in place easier.

Jim

jondancer 04-06-2014 08:30 AM

I bought those exact ones and used them. They work fine but you can make your own, they are almost like PVC end caps

Katrina/10 04-06-2014 08:32 AM

I saw that in the catalog, too. So I went to the hardware store and found some plastic caps, and covered the extra holes. I had always wondered why the factory had put two hoses on one vent, and when I turned on the blower, I found out why. By feeding the vent from only one side or the other, the air is forced into the cab at an angle. The air flow goes only to the driver or passenger, depending on which side you blocked. I would have gone back in and put two hoses on it if it wasn't so much trouble.

Elefuntman 04-07-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina/10 (Post 6614455)
I saw that in the catalog, too. So I went to the hardware store and found some plastic caps, and covered the extra holes. I had always wondered why the factory had put two hoses on one vent, and when I turned on the blower, I found out why. By feeding the vent from only one side or the other, the air is forced into the cab at an angle. The air flow goes only to the driver or passenger, depending on which side you blocked. I would have gone back in and put two hoses on it if it wasn't so much trouble.

ditto, did the same thing a while ago as my hose was broke. Diverted most of the air on the driver ;) Space under the dash is a premium on these trucks with factory air, if there was more room, I would put it back on.

yote1234 04-07-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina/10 (Post 6614455)

x2.. i did this to an old truck i had, never again,

leddzepp 04-07-2014 02:07 PM

I bought a rubber pipe cap from Home Depot and did the same thing. Much more air volume now. Doesn't matter to me where the air is diverted, the cab is so small it cools off quickly anyways.

Lee H 04-07-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6617028)
I bought a rubber pipe cap from Home Depot and did the same thing. Much more air volume now. Doesn't matter to me where the air is diverted, the cab is so small it cools off quickly anyways.

Yup, same here. Wish I would have blocked the passengers side so the AC was not blowing directly on me.

Katrina/10 04-08-2014 09:50 AM

I put the cap on the driver side inlet, with the hose connected to the passenger side inlet, most of the air blows on the driver. I don't think this would be too much of a problem if you live in an area that is really hot. I realized that I have no center seat belt, so not likely to have a middle passenger either.