The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   should be easy answer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=439235)

derekb 01-07-2011 12:43 AM

should be easy answer

Where would I start? Headlights are on low beam but high beam indicator is on. Blinkers are not on but arrows on dash are lit up. Engage blinker, light flashes on/off. It sounds like something is crossed. Can someone direct me where to start? Thanks in advance!!

geezer#99 01-07-2011 12:47 AM

Re: should be easy answer

Check turn signal flasher. Should be plugged into fuse box.

78bronzechariot 01-07-2011 12:50 AM

Check the ground connections to your dash and the quality of the printed circuit. I had an el camino that did the same thing when the ground broke in the printed circuit. It appeared that the ground from the dash was backfeeding through the lightbulbs.

VA72C10 01-07-2011 12:59 AM

check all your grounds including in the rear tail lights and side markers...

splehigh 01-07-2011 08:23 AM

I agree. Sounds like a grounding issue.

derekb 01-08-2011 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I got home from work and hit the garage. Pulled guage cluster off and low and behold, I found something that can only be described with a picture. The previous owner had rigged so many wires that I am surprised it didn't catch on fire. Spent 2 hours rewiring, pulling wires, rerouting wires. No change in the issue but man do I feel good after cleaning that up. So one last question...is there supposed to be a seperate ground wire to the guage cluster or is it inclusive in the wire harness.

matthew20061 01-08-2011 04:18 AM

That definitely sounds like a grounding issue my truck did the exact same thing with the blinker lights lit up when my tail lights weren't grounded very well I have no idea why but after I grounded them and my front turn signals it fixed the problem.

swamp rat 01-08-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekb (Post 4395325)
So I got home from work and hit the garage. Pulled guage cluster off and low and behold, I found something that can only be described with a picture. The previous owner had rigged so many wires that I am surprised it didn't catch on fire. Spent 2 hours rewiring, pulling wires, rerouting wires. No change in the issue but man do I feel good after cleaning that up. So one last question...is there supposed to be a seperate ground wire to the guage cluster or is it inclusive in the wire harness.

I beleve its inclusive in the harness, but its been a number of years since i pulled my bezel out.

I had the high beam indicator come on when my lights were on low beam as well, my solution was that 2 of the wires were pulled from one of the headlight plugs and put back into the plug in the wrong location.