The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Found original seat cover (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796243)

roll_the_dice 11-07-2019 11:49 AM

Found original seat cover

4 Attachment(s)
Weird story...I have a 65 C10 and I have been talking to an upholstery guy about having my seat recovered. I had a partially torn bottom seat cover and it was a plain black..nothing to speak of. Anyway, he asked me to take pictures of the seat. I take them then decide to take off the black seat cover that was on the seat...So this is what I found...a 1971 seat (always wondered why my seat didn't fold) with original 601 black trim cloth seat cover still on the seat in decent condition.

I am torn whether to recover the seat or use as is, but clean it best I can. If I recover it I don't want to get rid of this cover...not everyday there is a 71 seat in a 65 with original cover. lol

Thought you guys would appreciate the seat more than on the 65 side of the board...

Shout out to member Killer Bee for identifying the cover on the other side of the board.

roll_the_dice 11-07-2019 11:51 AM

Re: Found original seat cover

Oh yeah....any ideas the best way to clean the cloth without damaging it? Thanks!

68bowtie 11-07-2019 11:38 PM

Cool

cebra 11-08-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8623106)
Oh yeah....any ideas the best way to clean the cloth without damaging it? Thanks!

I have had good luck steam cleaning like I would carpet, lots of detergent lots of water. Do this a few times.

roll_the_dice 11-08-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebra (Post 8623581)
I have had good luck steam cleaning like I would carpet, lots of detergent lots of water. Do this a few times.

Thanks! A friend of mine has a carpet cleaner...but I can't remember if it has a handheld wand or not. I was worried about the suction being too hard on the material though.

landarts 11-08-2019 03:02 PM

Use Windex window cleaner, you will be amazed at how well it will clean the seat. I was told about this trick from a guy who owned a carpet cleaning business.

68Gold/white 11-08-2019 03:07 PM

As far as reusing it, I would say no...None of the original seat covers lasted very long at all. Didn't matter what type of material it was...The stuff was real nice for a few short years, and that was it..Just my opinion. Have a new cover made for it now, while you have the seat out...

Killer Bee 11-08-2019 03:20 PM

I guess it's all relative but I drove this to work today..

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/h5nrm57jwaz...3_694.jpg?dl=0

I'm a firm believer of if it ain't broke, don't fix it..

looks to me like it's held together fairly well, I would try cleaning it..

what have you got to lose? good luck!

Astro-Balls 11-08-2019 03:32 PM

Killer B, that is a well kept truck.

roll_the_dice 11-08-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8623759)
Use Windex window cleaner, you will be amazed at how well it will clean the seat. I was told about this trick from a guy who owned a carpet cleaning business.

Interesting...I will look into that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8623771)
I guess it's all relative but I drove this to work today..

I'm a firm believer of if it ain't broke, don't fix it..

looks to me like it's held together fairly well, I would try cleaning it..

what have you got to lose? good luck!

Thanks Killer...I agree. Worst case scenario is it disintegrates and I have to recover it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Unless someone wants to buy the cover and I then have my seat recovered. HAHA

special-K 11-09-2019 09:15 AM

I would just use carpet and upholstery cleaner. The thing with Windex is it's got alcohol in it that will dry out the vinyl even worse. Alcohol and plastics/vinyl don't get along well. That upholstery guy only needed to be concerned with making it nice for 'now', not for the long haul. I bet he never saw one he cleaned years later. I'd follow up with a treatment of some sort to put flex back in it

I'd clean and use it. That's nylon/polyester material holds up way better than vinyl. You have the little bit of vinyl but it's mixed with the very stretchy nylon, so tearing is less likely.

57taskforce 11-09-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 8623763)
As far as reusing it, I would say no...None of the original seat covers lasted very long at all. Didn't matter what type of material it was...The stuff was real nice for a few short years, and that was it..Just my opinion. Have a new cover made for it now, while you have the seat out...

I don’t know about that, my truck has a near perfect (I’d say 8 out of 10) perfect 69 original CST Olive vinyl seat in it. If taken care of they last.

roll_the_dice 11-09-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8624029)
I would just use carpet and upholstery cleaner. The thing with Windex is it's got alcohol in it that will dry out the vinyl even worse. Alcohol and plastics/vinyl don't get along well. That upholstery guy only needed to be concerned with making it nice for 'now', not for the long haul. I bet he never saw one he cleaned years later. I'd follow up with a treatment of some sort to put flex back in it

I'd clean and use it. That's nylon/polyester material holds up way better than vinyl. You have the little bit of vinyl but it's mixed with the very stretchy nylon, so tearing is less likely.

Thanks that makes sense about the windex. I want to clean as best I can.

To me this was a farm truck or similar and the guy sweated from work got in the truck and stained the seat. The back looks like sweat equity on his farm. Now if this was my grandfathers truck on his farm, I wouldn't clean any of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8624065)
I don’t know about that, my truck has a near perfect (I’d say 8 out of 10) perfect 69 original CST Olive vinyl seat in it. If taken care of they last.

Show a picture. Original seats rock!

57taskforce 11-09-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8624068)
Thanks that makes sense about the windex. I want to clean as best I can.

To me this was a farm truck or similar and the guy sweated from work got in the truck and stained the seat. The back looks like sweat equity on his farm. Now if this was my grandfathers truck on his farm, I wouldn't clean any of it.

Show a picture. Original seats rock!

When I go to the shop on Monday I’ll get some.