The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   New life for an old 2wd, farm Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=505987)

Splash4195 11-23-2012 12:03 AM

Re: New life for an old 2wd, farm Blazer

Wow!

Sicklajoie 11-23-2012 11:44 AM

Awesome! Congrats!

turp mcspray 11-23-2012 10:57 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! This thing is an absolute joy to drive! My kids really liked how people on the hiway would smile, wave, and give the thumbs up, as they passed. I seriously don't want to give the blazer back. It really gets my motivation going, to get my blazer back on the road.

notsolo 11-28-2012 09:15 PM

Good to see you are enjoying this Blazer, it turned out great..From the pile of parts you started with, to the finished better than new Blazer..AWESOME.

Luba 12-09-2012 05:06 PM

Awesome work? Where did you get the NOS inner grille? Are they still available? Was the outer one and the emblem also NOS?

turp mcspray 12-10-2012 12:05 PM

I bought the inner grille from a board member. GM has discontinued them, but there are sure to be some still out there. The last batch that GM made are not painted silver. They come in a very dark gray, not quite black, colored plastic. The outer shell and the emblem are also GM. The owner of the blazer purchase them from a GM dealer, several years ago.

1956cameo 12-10-2012 08:02 PM

The blazer looks great! It's good to see you are actually using it too.

Splash4195 12-10-2012 08:41 PM

Nice ride!

JNSM653 12-10-2012 09:00 PM

Where did you acquire the top from. Been looking for one for a 69 and have come up short. I currently have one but fiberglass is a foreign substance to me. Much happier playing with metal.

turp mcspray 12-14-2012 11:11 AM

I used the top from my blazer, for fitting purposes, while working on this one. We still need to find a top as well.

67swb72klb 12-14-2012 02:19 PM

lots of detail work looks great !!

coggonobrien 02-20-2014 09:42 PM

any reason to use not use the inner bedside of a new repoped bedside when replacing the side

turp mcspray 02-20-2014 10:26 PM

I saw it as the quickest, and easiest way to do it. This way I didn't have to shorten the inner, cut out and weld in the gas neck area, as well as additional metal and mud work dealing with the body lines etc.

hgs_notes 02-21-2014 11:42 AM

There are new reproduction blazer specific bedsides available now. I've seen them. Daburb is selling them.

Alex 06-22-2017 03:07 PM

Turp, I know I'm very late to the party but finally saw this build and you did a beautiful job on it! Love the parchment interior as mine has it. I'm checking in with SMS on the seat fabric as I don't want the scroll pattern look and see if they can do something for mine. I know you sprayed the SEM paint on the door panels and armrest pads. Did you also do that with the seatbelt parts and the seatbelts itself or were they cleaned or replaced? Mine are looking pretty grungy and would like to spruce 'em up.

turp mcspray 07-19-2017 02:29 PM

Just saw your post. I just cleaned up the belts. I can't remember what I used, but they cleaned up pretty good.

GAc10boy 11-01-2017 10:20 PM

Glad this thread was brought back to life. What an amazing build! The rust repair, body, and paint work are really well done. Killer build.

19684x4 03-11-2018 10:33 PM

I just seen your build. Awesome job and thanks for sharing. I noticed you had the body on the rotisary without any doors or braces. How did you get it to not collapse? I apologize if I missed it. Also I'm planning on replacing both bedsides and the entire bed floor. Any tips on tear down and replacement order?

turp mcspray 03-12-2018 09:29 PM

To start with, it had some simple conduit bracing, from the dash to the lower B pillar. I made those to hold the cowl, and allow me to close the doors, while rebuilding the floor and rocker area. Once on the rotisserie, they weren't quite enough. So I bolted a plate to the four door striker holes, a tab to the rear upper fender bolt hole, and welded a piece of pipe between them.
Before removing your bedsides, and floor, I would fit the doors, and front clip, to your current bedsides. This way you have a reference point for the new bedsides. The front clip will help hold the cowl in place, once everything is cut apart. Measurements between the bedsides, from side to side, would be a good idea. (Front and back.) "Before" pics are nice, to refer back to.
Pretty straight forward, as far as disassembly goes. Set your replacement floor on the chassis, install bedsides, tailgate, top, etc. You will want to verify that everything fits together, BEFORE welding anything together.
This is just the short and sweet version. Feel free to ask more questions, when the time comes.

K5 MAX 08-06-2018 06:10 AM

Amazing work, I may contact you down the road when I'm ready to restore mine. You're a true automotive craftsmen