The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=845822)

Heydanl 07-07-2023 01:18 PM

Help!

Hi all,
I am in need of assistance. I have a project Blazer that has the firewall/windshield frame/A pillar (I'll call it the front end for simplicity sake) separated from the bed, there is no floor. I'm in the process of putting it back together but I have no idea where the front end sits in height in relation to the bed. I have no top to establish a top point. Would someone please put a long straight edge on top of a bedside that runs the length of the bedside and extends out to the A pillar and measure from the Centre of the cowl or front fender bolt holes on the A pillar to that line? This would give me a proper landmark that I can work with. I would VERY MUCH appreciate any help here, I'm completely stalled out until I can get this sorted. Thank you in advance!

nightmare 07-08-2023 08:45 AM

Re: Help!

If i understand correctly, you have the firewall separated from the body, and there is no floor between the bed and firewall, correct? Not that I have any experience with blazers, but it might be easier to bolt the doors to the front and line up the firewall based on where the doors sit against the bed, accounting for gaps.

I could be way off though...

hemi43 07-08-2023 08:46 AM

Having someone do that wont work properly because there's too many variables.
Mount your doors to the "front end" and that will show you exactly where the bed needs to go.

Heydanl 07-08-2023 01:48 PM

Thank you nightmare and hemi43 for your reply and suggestion. Welcome to my nightmare. I have tried that method and it doesn't work. The hinges are slotted to allow for vertical adjustment when installing the door. As the "front end" is floating (not literally, it's on a purpose built cart) then it will rise or fall depending on where in that slot I tighten the bolts once the door is lined up. I could bolt it up in the middle of the slot and hope for the best but if that's not correct then the top I eventually hope to get would either have a big gap if the front end is too low or interfere if the front end is too high. That's why I was hoping to get a landmark from someone with a solid complete tub with a top that fits properly. I know I can set the door opening with the rockers and doors once I have this height issue sorted out. But I do appreciate your thoughts.

Utahboy 07-08-2023 03:34 PM

Sending you a pm. I may be able to help.
Tate

zammer 07-10-2023 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This may Help... Came from this thread on here:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=455719

Attachment 2277767

Heydanl 07-13-2023 12:45 PM

Thank you zammer, these measurements will be a big help.

1rippen6 07-13-2023 01:03 PM

I would not weld anything in place until you have a top to confirm location.

Heydanl 07-13-2023 11:05 PM

Hi all,
Thank you 1rippen6 and all you others who have taken the time to communicate with me regarding this dilemma, but I have found a guy locally who is willing to lend me his top for fitment. Now my question is, is a single wall the same as a double wall as far as dimensions go. I know the bedsides have different mounting points, but other than that, are they the same? Mine was originally a single wall, his is a double. The top I hope to get in the future would be single wall. Any info much appreciated.

SeventyOne 07-14-2023 12:36 PM

Yes - same top dimensions for your purposes. Will be critical for you to drill the single wall mounting holes in your bedsides for proper SW Top alignment, however.

scott123 07-15-2023 07:21 AM

I was looking for the old post with the door measurements as well. They are spot on.

The only thing is that taking something apart and getting it back to spot on dimensions can be tricky.

As suggested I would do some light tacking to hold it in place and fit the floors as the first guide and then the top. Once everything fits (to dimensions I guess) then weld it back together.

I once welded my rockers in a 70 truck without the doors. I didn't check much just fitted them in place. I stepped back and was really happy with my work until I hung the doors. My 'square door hole' was not 'square' anymore and gapping the doors was impossible.

I basically called myself a dumbass, cut the rockers out, squared the hole and started all over.

Don't be me.

Scott

Heydanl 07-20-2023 01:31 AM

Thanks for your reply Scott123, but too late. I've been guilty of blind replacement as well, it didn't end well for me either. That's why the SOS here. I think I have the situation in hand now. At least until the next surprise bites me in the ass.