The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   how to stop loosening of a head band (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=790012)

dmjlambert 07-10-2019 04:53 PM

how to stop loosening of a head band

2 Attachment(s)
Is there something like the opposite of WD-40, that is a spray with nozzle and will cause friction instead of removing it? Other ideas? I have this light and magnifier headlight I like to use, but the knob I turn to tighten it does not hold its place well. It is like the knob in the headband of a hard hat, turn clockwise to tighten the band, counterclockwise to loosen, and it has click stops but they are very weak. When wearing, the tension of the plastic band is enough to make it pop loose while wearing.

Stormin08 07-15-2019 08:51 AM

Re: how to stop loosening of a head band

1. dont think so hard...brain wont swell.

2. look for a similar head band from a welding hood, they have a strap over the top as well, and allows the head strap to be a slight bit looser.

dmjlambert 07-15-2019 11:28 PM

Thanks. Well I suppose I'll see if I have any luck gluing it in my favorite size. I don't have an old welding hood with good band to cannibalize in order to fix this $15 magnifier.

notsolo 09-17-2019 05:41 PM

Maybe a pop rivet, then it could be undone......oops post is 2 months old that ship has probably sailed...

dmjlambert 09-17-2019 06:25 PM

No, I haven't glued it yet. I like the idea of pop rivet. I don't have a pop rivet tool, but you have me thinking. I can drill and screw it, use a small flat head machine screw in a countersunk hole on the inside and wing nut on outside. It would be removable, or repositionable into a different hole for 2 different sizes, one for when I need a haircut, and one for when I just got a haircut. Thanks.

mongocanfly 09-17-2019 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
have you tries wrapping a rubber band around behind the knob?...here

dmjlambert 09-17-2019 09:44 PM

I have not thought of that. Thanks for that idea. I will give it a try.

truckster 09-17-2019 10:51 PM

In the hardware section of Lowes or Home Depot they have screws that have a low-profile head that are meant for putting furniture together. You might put one of those on the inside of the band with a wingnut on the outside. That would make it easy to adjust.

toolboxchev 09-17-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8595120)
In the hardware section of Lowes or Home Depot they have screws that have a low-profile head that are meant for putting furniture together. You might put one of those on the inside of the band with a wingnut on the outside. That would make it easy to adjust.

Or a Blind nut and screw, they have them over at one of my local Ace hardware stores.

I do like the rubber band idea, 2nd the pop rivet for a permanent thing also.