The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension, Steering and Brakes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Borgeson Steering U-Joint Review. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=101550)

2wdBlazer 04-25-2004 12:39 AM

Borgeson Steering U-Joint Review.

http://www.borgeson.com/images/FFVIBREDPOLISH2.jpg

Bought the U-joint with Vibration Dampner ($70). What a difference. My steering is much tighter and any vibration from the 38's is gone. THis is a must have for lifted trucks. The stock joint on the column side was worn out I think mainly due to the 3 inch body lift i'm running. No pics of the install but I can tell you how easy it was.

1. Remove old Shaft. (One bolt at the box and on the column.)
2. Hack the old upper joint off with a hacksaw.
3. Heat up the shaft with a torch (Plastic inserts will melt and it makes the shaft collapable.
4. Shaft will have to be hacked down a little more because it doesn't cpllapse inside too far.
5. Install U-joint on shaft. Size is 3/4 inch 36 spline x 3/4 inch DD.
6. Drill and pin the shaft when desired length is chosen.
7. Re-install.

Great product.

2wdBlazer 04-27-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bouncytruck
I'd like to see pics too. Is the part an off the shelf part. I know you were looking for measurements for a while.
Yeah, off the shelf. Just ask for a 3/4 inch 36 spline (column side) x 3/4 inch DD (Steering box side). They have to know this for mounting the vibration dampner. They sell with and without the dampner but do your self a favor and get it. I am talking ZERO shaking with huge tires.

2wdBlazer 04-28-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IoWnZa
I wonder if they also work well for Stock/Mild lift applications. I don't run a Lift on my Blazer, and have 32's. I want something to remove some of the Vibration, there isn't much, but it's still there.
Yeah. You could do it.

2wdBlazer 04-29-2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 454_72_4X4
Does this just replace the upper U-joint, (column end)?

Just another suggestion on the subject. I used a shaft, (intermediate?), out of an Astro van on my S-10. They have U-joints on both ends and no rag joint. (Had to stretch it a little!)
I don't know if it would work on the older trucks though.

Yes. Replaces the Cloumn end Rag Joint.

The stock shaft is fine to use, It is collapsable and the steering box end already uses a U-joint.

2wdBlazer 06-07-2004 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack
Could you get a pic of it installed?

Here. Finally got a Digicam.

2wdBlazer 06-08-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the pic. Looks great. Does it mount to the steering box the same way - using the rubber thingie (highly techinical term, eh?).

Rubber thingy? Column end mounts directly to column end with splines. Steering box side just bolts to the Double D end of the U-joint. Steering shaft was shortened for this. No rubber thingies.

2wdBlazer 06-08-2004 12:26 PM

Quote:

Sounds great. If you don't mind, when you get a chance, shoot a picture of the connection at the gear box.

Will do. The gear box has it's own stock u-joint though. Nothing special.

WHSmith 06-08-2004 01:50 PM

A lot of the trucks have the rag joint on the steering box end of the shaft. I went with Borgeson parts and put their vibration reducer by the steering box and one of their u-joints at the column end of the shaft. The shaft in the box is a 3/4 x 30 spline and it's simple to remove the rag setup and replace it with the new hardware.

Yukon Jack 05-09-2005 10:58 AM

Where did you buy the vibration dampner?

2wdBlazer 05-09-2005 02:43 PM

www.borgeson.com of course!!!

orange72blazer 06-02-2006 02:22 PM

Re: Borgeson Steering U-Joint Review.

I just got done doing this to my 72 blazer, I went with the standard 13/16-36 spline u-joint at the steering box to replace the rag joint and left the joint at the column stock for now. This worked very well and I dont have any binding like I did before or any more vibration than I did with the rag joint. You can get these joints from Jegs or Summit.

Yukon Jack 08-24-2006 04:26 PM

After my rag joint ripped I ended up adding a Borgeson U-joint at the steering box and I added a Borgeson telescopic shaft (1" DD x 3/4" DD) to my 69 K20. I had previously added a Borgeson U-joint at the steering column.

Here is a pic of the u-joint which is 3/4" x 30 spline and 1" DD to fit the power steering box I'm using which is from about a 1978 Chevy 4x4.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...gboxujoint.jpg

and a pic of it at the steering column - the steering column is not secured yet so ignore the block of wood that has the column wedged in place. That U-joint is 3/4" x 36 spline and 3/4" DD.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...lumnujoint.jpg

The telescopic shaft ended up being about 11 1/2" long but I'm using a van tilt column.

2wdBlazer 08-24-2006 05:54 PM

Why use the borgeson shaft when ours can become collapseable?

Yukon Jack 08-25-2006 11:18 AM

The lower u-joint is 1" DD for the steering shaft. It did not appear that I could cut off enough of the stock shaft to get to the DD area. The first few inches of the stock shaft at the rag joint end are round then it tapers to DD.

1969 GMC 01-29-2007 02:19 AM

sorry to drag this one up from the dead, but what is the borgeson pn# of the damper?

1976K5CHALET 01-29-2007 02:41 AM

Anytime...the dampener is an option when you buy the shaft...it is integrated into the shaft. If you go to their web site you may be able to buy it seperately as i think they sell some of the components seperately so you can build your own custom shaft.

I'm out working in the patch so i do not have access to my records otherwise i'd get out the invoice and post it for you.

Email me anytime at k5nutt@hotmail.com.

2wdBlazer...the borgeson shaft is made to colapse in an accident just like the factory unit.

DW

1969 GMC 01-30-2007 03:33 AM

uhh...i'm pretty sure you can just buy the damper/ujoint by itself since that is what 2wdblazer did before he made this thread.:hm:

2wdBlazer 01-30-2007 11:17 AM

Yep. I just called Borgeson and told them the shaft size and spline count. The steering column side is 36 spline x 3/4 DD.

The steering box side may be divverent on the splines and if the steering box was changed to a 77+ style the splines could be different yet again.