The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Protecting seats? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=631766)

YBNORML 06-08-2014 07:38 PM

Protecting seats?

1 Attachment(s)
I just put new covers on my Blazer seats. They are a vinyl/fabric combo. What are you guys using to protect the fabric inlays? I have three kids and I want the seats to last.

Here's a pic.

BR3W CITY 06-15-2014 02:15 AM

Re: Protecting seats?

Don't like seeing threads with 0 replies, so I'll toss a few things out.

The leather/vinyl portions are pretty resilient, just keep some armorall wipes in the back seat so you can "Triage" a situation if it happens.

I can't tell, but the center is fabric right? Thats the tough spot, since it can rip/stain easier and you can't just wipe it off. You might want to seriously consider using "Ultra Protector", which is designed for shoes....unless you can find a comparable product in the auto-specific segment.

The reason I mention that stuff, is that I have a decent collection of rare/collectible shoes, and preserving the condition of them is paramount to retaining value. The Ultra Protector is ok for Vinyl/Leather/Suede/Fabric, and its an aerosol so coverage is pretty easy. Its like $7 a can, and you could probably give the seats (or even just the cloth portion) a couple of coats with a single can. You can get the stuff from FootLocker.

The other option, is to get a couple of Mexi-Blankets or the good ol' granny-style seat plastic.

Lee H 06-19-2014 08:26 AM

I Scotchgaurd mine every few months. I also have a towel folded up under the seat I use when coming from pick a part.

YBNORML 06-19-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6721592)
Don't like seeing threads with 0 replies, so I'll toss a few things out.

The leather/vinyl portions are pretty resilient, just keep some armorall wipes in the back seat so you can "Triage" a situation if it happens.

I can't tell, but the center is fabric right? Thats the tough spot, since it can rip/stain easier and you can't just wipe it off. You might want to seriously consider using "Ultra Protector", which is designed for shoes....unless you can find a comparable product in the auto-specific segment.

The reason I mention that stuff, is that I have a decent collection of rare/collectible shoes, and preserving the condition of them is paramount to retaining value. The Ultra Protector is ok for Vinyl/Leather/Suede/Fabric, and its an aerosol so coverage is pretty easy. Its like $7 a can, and you could probably give the seats (or even just the cloth portion) a couple of coats with a single can. You can get the stuff from FootLocker.

The other option, is to get a couple of Mexi-Blankets or the good ol' granny-style seat plastic.

Yeah, the centre is fabric. I never thought of using a shoe protector. That's a good idea. I was thinking Scotchguard, I'll have to compare the two products. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 6727223)
I Scotchgaurd mine every few months. I also have a towel folded up under the seat I use when coming from pick a part.

That's what I was thinking. I also carry an old sheet under my seat. Thanks

motornut 06-25-2014 06:54 PM

i have loose seat covers,i pull them out at a show,same idea as a sheet i guess

magicoolbus 06-28-2014 10:25 AM

Easiest solution is to not have the kids ride in the Blazer. Keep them in the minivan. :)

YBNORML 06-28-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motornut (Post 6736031)
i have loose seat covers,i pull them out at a show,same idea as a sheet i guess

The sheet idea is the best for the drivers seat if I have been working or doing something that would make me dirty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicoolbus (Post 6739424)
Easiest solution is to not have the kids ride in the Blazer. Keep them in the minivan. :)

I do not own a minivan. I built a 99' crewcab to haul the kids on a daily basis. As far as putting them in the Blazer for fun drives, I wouldn't build anything that I wouldn't put my family in. I take the family to as many car functions as possible, hopefully one or two of them will develop an interest in cars like their old man.

BR3W CITY 06-28-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 6739499)
hopefully one or two of them will develop an interest in cars like their old man.

50/50, either that or they'll HATE cars, until years later when they realize you were right the whole time...then complain that they wish it could be "how it was when you were younger"

...since all they'll have is natural gas powered hover ships :lol:

YBNORML 06-29-2014 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6740059)
50/50, either that or they'll HATE cars, until years later when they realize you were right the whole time...then complain that they wish it could be "how it was when you were younger"

...since all they'll have is natural gas powered hover ships :lol:

Whenever we go to a show the wife always drives something else, usually the crew. That way once the kids get bored, she can take them and leave, hopefully this way they won't feel forced to attend and hate it just on principle.

VA72C10 06-29-2014 02:02 AM

Check this out...was thinking of this for when I build a roadster blazer in the future....

http://www.hydrobead.com/