The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   todd68chevy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383658)

Todd68Chevy 01-27-2010 08:00 PM

todd68chevy

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple pictures of my 46 in progress. It started life as a 1 1/2 ton firetruck and now the cab is being installed on a S10 frame.

Liz 01-28-2010 08:51 AM

Re: todd68chevy

Hope you do not mind. I thought this was worthy of its own thread. I copied it from the pic post.

Todd68Chevy 01-28-2010 10:12 AM

No problem with me, Thanks. I will try to post more pictures and description later when I get home. Thanks again LIZ for thinking it is worthy of its own thread. Todd

special-K 01-28-2010 11:29 AM

I agree.This shows another way to go with combining the early iron and cardboard & plastic moderns.Basically there will only the the newer features w/o the cardboard & plastic.This is a good one to follow.

BTW,I`m really excited about this new forum.:D

Dan in Pasadena 01-28-2010 12:14 PM

Todd, You've certainly got your work cut out (no pun intended) for you. It will be super nice when its done. What are you planning on powering the truck with?

As much as I like what you're doing I've got to admit that what's left of the little boy in me thinks that restoring the original firetruck in bright red, covered with shiny chrome and brass bits would have been awesome too. Was the original firetruck still mostly complete? You might be able to sell all the parts to someone on a firetruck website (there's GOT to be one out there!) for a better price; and maybe as a package, than just by garage sale or on Craigslist. Just an idea to help finance your project.

Todd68Chevy 01-28-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 3763418)
I agree.This shows another way to go with combining the early iron and cardboard & plastic moderns.Basically there will only the the newer features w/o the cardboard & plastic.This is a good one to follow.

BTW,I`m really excited about this new forum.:D

I hope when I get done I have a good looking truck that I can drive anywhere.

I am also excited about this new forum

Todd68Chevy 01-28-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 3763512)
Todd, You've certainly got your work cut out (no pun intended) for you. It will be super nice when its done. What are you planning on powering the truck with?

As much as I like what you're doing I've got to admit that what's left of the little boy in me thinks that restoring the original firetruck in bright red, covered with shiny chrome and brass bits would have been awesome too. Was the original firetruck still mostly complete? You might be able to sell all the parts to someone on a firetruck website (there's GOT to be one out there!) for a better price; and maybe as a package, than just by garage sale or on Craigslist. Just an idea to help finance your project.

I did get into a bigger job than I was originally planning but it will be fun when I get done. I am going to run a 283 cid sbc, three dueces, 700r4 transmission and the original S10 rear diff.

This was a complete truck bought from a fire dept. when I started but I have a 1940 Chevy Firetruck also that I am keeping a firetruck that I am upgrading the drivetrain only on. There are firetruck clubs out there that have shows for antique firetrucks also. The 40 Chevy is going to look completely original but the front and rear axles are from a 1988 Chevy box truck and small block Chevy engine and turbo 400 transmission, power steering and power brakes. Thanks again, Todd

Driveway Dreams 01-28-2010 02:00 PM

Todd, looks like a very nice project. I saw those pictures and thought how cool a resto-mod fire truck could be. All the lights, siren, etc, but dropped with a modern drivetrain and custom touches. I too am really excited that we got this forum!

Todd68Chevy 01-28-2010 08:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pictures. The 1993 S10 frame had to narrowed 5" behind the front control arms. I am going to have S10 front and rear suspension, steering and brakes. I am even using the brake pedal, booster and steering column. I am going to run a 283 cid sbc with 3 dueces, 700r4 and the S10 rear end. I put a 1939 dash in it because I liked the looks of it better. Now my buddy that is doing the body work (I am helping when I can but I am not a body man) has talked me into stretching the cab 6" in the doors for more leg room.

special-K 01-30-2010 08:40 PM

That work on the frame looks nice.You have a good body man to be eager to jump into a cab stretch you didn`t ask for.

Todd68Chevy 01-30-2010 11:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks Special-K and yes I am very thankful to have very good friend that is a very good body man. I think the hardest part we have been talking about is that the rear of the cab will also need widened because the cab keeps getting wider as it goes back. I have an extra cab and doors to be able to do the project. I had the PhotoShop people show me what the stretched cab will look like-- http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=383763 --check it out. I really like it. It is hard to tell it is even stretched. The red 1948 Chevy in the thread is my buddies wifes truck and he really wished he would have stretch that cab is why he thinks mine needs to be and I am agreeing with him. Here are some more pictures.

Driveway Dreams 01-31-2010 01:46 PM

Looks like you guys are making some really nice progress. After seeing you p shop thread, I thought about how much nicer it looks after the stretch. I am excited to watch your progress. When cutting your cab, you cut with a sawzall, plasma, or what?

Todd68Chevy 02-01-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams (Post 3770522)
Looks like you guys are making some really nice progress. After seeing you p shop thread, I thought about how much nicer it looks after the stretch. I am excited to watch your progress. When cutting your cab, you cut with a sawzall, plasma, or what?

Well the progress was good for a while and then I got busy on other stuff. I have been trying to get back to it and this thread has really got me thinking more about it. I am going to be working on it again this weekend. The cab will probably be cut with an air saw. It is air operated and uses a blade like a jigsaw. My buddy uses it to cut out rusted panels and other items. It gives a good cut without distroying the metal. I hope to have pictures of the start of the cutting next week if things go good.

Driveway Dreams 02-01-2010 03:41 PM

Air saw works very well. Good luck with the motivation to get rolling again. :thumbs:

Todd68Chevy 02-08-2010 09:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well He started cutting Saturday and started reassembling on Sunday. It was a good weekend!! We ended up using the extra cab that I had and cut the original cab back 3 inches and the second cab 3 inches forward. We decided to try changing the door angle instead of widening the rear. Here are some pictures of the weekends progress.

71blksuper4x4 02-24-2010 03:22 AM

Todd, we are picking up a 1 1/2 ton 46' out of our town yard soon. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to yours. What are you doing about a bed? Trevor

Todd68Chevy 02-24-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3821562)
Todd, we are picking up a 1 1/2 ton 46' out of our town yard soon. I am looking forward to seeing what you do to yours. What are you doing about a bed? Trevor

The problems with the 1 1/2 are the fenders and the running boards. You can run the bigger fenders but it will take a good size tire to look correct and then the bed fenders might not look correct. I am keeping the running boards and taking a 1/2 set of fenders and having modified to make. I plan on using a set of 47-53 truck bed sides and year correct fenders but I only have the bed sides so my plans might change. Good luck with your project and hope to see pictures soon.
Todd

71blksuper4x4 02-24-2010 10:40 PM

Thanks Todd, when we drag it home, I will shoot some pics, but it will be a backburner project as we got too much stuff dismantled right now and the shop is a wreck. :lol::lol: Trevor

Driveway Dreams 02-25-2010 12:33 AM

Todd, looks like good progress! Looks like you have the proportions nailed.

swamp rat 11-16-2010 05:05 AM

Any updates?

Todd68Chevy 11-16-2010 08:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 4297354)
Any updates?

Sorry to say but not much. My buddy doing the body work has been working on his own truck for a while and I have been busy this summer and have not worked frame either. I am planning on getting back on it this winter. I do have a couple pictures of the door way back together but the roof still needs modified. The problem with the roof is that the cab gets 1 1/2" wider in the 6 inches of stretch so it was either widen the back or rebuild roof to work. My buddy desided he would rather redo the roof than cut the cab into more parts. I hope to have more soon. Thanks for asking

ashtruckin 11-16-2010 02:57 PM

just wondering do you still have the gas tank for the 46 for sell 931 261 9293

Todd68Chevy 11-16-2010 09:57 PM

I have 1 or 2 gas tanks available. I have sold a couple for $50.00 each but I think shipping will be a killer.

ashtruckin 11-17-2010 11:12 AM

do they still work if so let me know how much shipping will be to clarkrange tn 38553 thanks

ashtruckin 11-17-2010 04:15 PM

Todd i could use both tanks im working on a 40 gmc pick up and a 46 gmc 1 ton if you like you can reach me at 931-261-9293 anytime