The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Gas gauge issues (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851560)

Augusta 03-24-2024 09:14 AM

Gas gauge issues

My temp gauge that was pegged hot and wouldn't move and my gas gauge was pegged at 3o'clock position.
Fixed the temp gauge with one from another cluster and swapped a resistor from another gas gauge and got the needle to move to just over full.
Now when I turn off the key it drifts down to about halfway full which is probably what is in it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

RustyPile 03-24-2024 05:50 PM

Re: Gas gauge issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augusta (Post 9298238)
My temp gauge that was pegged hot and wouldn't move and my gas gauge was pegged at 3o'clock position.
Fixed the temp gauge with one from another cluster and swapped a resistor from another gas gauge and got the needle to move to just over full.
Now when I turn off the key it drifts down to about halfway full which is probably what is in it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

You're making an assumption that many people make.. Here's the facts as they pertain to physics.. The gauges only receive power when the ignition switch is ON.. Turned OFF, no power is applied to the gauges, gravity takes over.. The needle will settle into a "position of it's choice".. What the gauge does after the voltage is removed (ignition switch is OFF) is of no consequence, and certainly does not indicate a problem.

Augusta 03-24-2024 07:36 PM

Makes sense, mine is now going all the way to empty with key off, good news is It is working!
Thanks

NDM 04-01-2024 08:40 AM

My temp and gas guages were goofy after installing my new American autowire harness. A week ago I was just checking stuff when I decided to check each fuse and found a blown 10 amp fuse. Once I replaced it my fuel and coolant temp guages work as they should. I must have shorted it when I was wrapping up the harness install and it has been that way for a long time.

It is quite nice for it to work correctly again!

RustyPile 04-01-2024 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDM (Post 9300804)
My temp and gas guages were goofy after installing my new American autowire harness. A week ago I was just checking stuff when I decided to check each fuse and found a blown 10 amp fuse. Once I replaced it my fuel and coolant temp guages work as they should. I must have shorted it when I was wrapping up the harness install and it has been that way for a long time.

It is quite nice for it to work correctly again!

It's good you now have working gauges, but in the process you've learned an important lesson.. No matter what the situation, when an electrical item doesn't work properly, the very first step to take is CHECK FUSES..