The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Why so many electric fans??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=620243)

'68 Newtricks 03-11-2014 06:12 PM

Why so many electric fans???

Putting my truck together and plan on running an LS/4L60. Its mostly just a rolling frame right now with some CPP engine and trans mounts ready for the combo.

My question is:
I want to run a mechanical fan for simplicity. This will be my DD, and like my offroad blazer I want it super simple. Why do most swaps end up with electric fans? Is there fitment problems? I hope to run the stock shroud or something close. I also don't have a problem moving the combo back in the frame as much as possible, since I like the idea of moving the weight and I don't have a driveshaft to match anyway.

Indian113 03-11-2014 06:17 PM

Re: Why so many electric fans???

In my case I didn't have enough room, also I don't have a problem with electric fans. Mine are tied into ECU and are controlled to come on and go off at different temps. I also have a electric fan on my 64 and enjoy not over heating In traffic like GG's cruising around the fairgrounds.

ls1nova71 03-11-2014 06:50 PM

Some people say that mechanical fans rob horsepower, but can't be that much in my opinion. I only use electric fans as a last resort when there is just absolutely no room. On my trucks I always run mechanical fans in the factory shrouds and they never overheat even in traffic with the A/C on. Another plus is they won't burn out on you in the middle of nowhere.

akdg87 03-11-2014 07:13 PM

the gen 3 (4 & 5 as well) pcm can control the electric fans, its two wires you have to pin in to the connector and build a simple relay/fuse block, lastly activate the second fan with your tuning software(or have your tuner do it).

In my application i have a turbo so all the extra room i can get between the radiator and front accessories the better.

jamesjones 03-11-2014 08:34 PM

Space and they work. I had an efan on my blazer before the swap.

OEM type efans are just as reliable as clutch fans IMHO. You're putting an electronically controlled engine in your ride, why not put electronically controlled fans?

BR3W CITY 03-11-2014 10:43 PM

I dislike clutch fans simply for the first 3 minutes of driving when they are un-needed but still engaged, and the truck sounds like its got 3 damn vacuum cleaners under the hood. Every s10/blazer/bravada and 1500 I had ALWAYS did this on cold start.

'68 Newtricks 03-12-2014 12:28 AM

I guess it's not very cold around here :D

What are people running into with the mechanical fans as far as fitment? Are they not even close to fitting? Different water pumps put them out too far? How far back would the engine need to be moved? Those that are running them, what shroud and fan are you using?

I know every front wheel drive vehicle on the road has E-fans but it doesn't make me feel better LOL I had an E-fan on my blazer, hated it, went way out if my way to make the mechanical one work.

ls1nova71 03-12-2014 12:37 AM

The 5.3 fan works perfectly with the factory fan shroud for a 67-72 truck, and mine make no noise at all? There are pics in my build threads in my sig. Its personal preference I guess, but I had a weatherpack connector on my street rod fan melt down just outside of Vegas a couple years ago, was an easy fix, but still....

71chevystep4x4 03-12-2014 12:39 AM

I was surprised with how well the fan lined up with my fan shroud, it looks like it was meant to be, same angle and everything. It's a shroud for a small block, that I got out of LMC truck, which was used with a small block, big block, and now my 5.3

71chevystep4x4 03-12-2014 12:41 AM

And mine is quiet as well, and doesn't even think of running hot in summer.

ls1nova71 03-12-2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71chevystep4x4 (Post 6570881)
I was surprised with how well the fan lined up with my fan shroud, it looks like it was meant to be, same angle and everything. It's a shroud for a small block, that I got out of LMC truck, which was used with a small block, big block, and now my 5.3

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that mine is also for a small block.

Andy4639 03-12-2014 07:40 AM

I was going to use the mechanical fan but it was going to interfer with the Mass air senor and intake Tube. I wanted it routed a certain way because I already had the cold air box in the truck.;):chevy: