The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New Guy, First Suburban (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=469518)

bri68 06-13-2011 09:48 PM

New Guy, First Suburban

Glad to find a group with ideas! I just purchased a 68 Suburban that I am bringing home this week. I purchased it in southern Pa and I Live in the Pocono Mountains. It needs body work and a new interior but the frame, motor and drivtrain are all good. This with be my first true build. I guess if your going to start you should go big or not even try. Anyway I have one issue and I am not sure what to do, the upper and lower tailgate are shot and can not be repaired. I have not been able to find them in the aftermarket so can anyone give me any ideas on were I can find them. If not the tailgate can I convert it to barn Doors?

I have tons of ideas for the truck. I will post pictures when I get it home this week. any ideas would be appricated. thanks, Bri

jeffg1010 06-13-2011 09:56 PM

Re: New Guy, First Suburban

Congrats and welcome to the board. Everybody will want to see some pics, so get them on as soon as you get it home.
-Jeff

vectorit 06-13-2011 10:43 PM

Welcome to the best place on the internet for knowledge, and shared enthusiasm for the awesome Suburban!

Those tail gate doors are hard to come by in solid shape, but they do turn up here now and again.

Get some pictures up, and share with us your idea's! All of us here are either into stock, or modified from mild to wild when it comes to the Suburban.

Don't worry about asking questions of any kind!

70cst 06-14-2011 12:27 AM

Hey bri68
:welcome2: and :hi: from Ohio... You know I got to say it ... :wop: :lol:

olblue60@aol.com 06-14-2011 06:55 AM

Welcome to the board! The upper gate seems to be the hardest of all the suburban parts to get, and shipping is getting pretty expensive these days. There is a fellow in the suburban parts board in mid New jersey selling a nice pair of cargo doors. If you take this route, I can probably help you out with the hardware. I cant wait to see some pictures of your truck! :)

rocknss 06-14-2011 03:51 PM

Welcome to the board! :metal: Like the others said the upper tail gate is very hard to find but it is easy to switch to barn doors if need be.

bri68 06-14-2011 10:41 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. I am going to pick it up Wednesday and driving it home. Should be a fun drive no power steering and no power brakes! Can't wait to fix that. I will post some pic's in the evening before I start to clean it up over the weekend. Right now it is flat black primer but all of the trim is intact but only the third row seat is there. Get the pics up as soon as I can

salvo 06-15-2011 01:32 PM

Welcome and congrats! I'm a new guy too, the people here are the best and will help with any question. Can't wait for the pictures, drive safe!

eyebuzz 06-16-2011 10:40 AM

It really is a great spot for info...welcome.

TT

bri68 06-17-2011 09:37 PM

Re: New Guy, First Suburban new pics

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, I still have not got the burb home but I did get it to a friends house today. I hope I uploaded the pics right so you can see what I got. I paid 1500.00 and got two sets of wheels and he found the rear row of seats. My plan is to make a low cruiser satin finish tan with a white top. Wheels will be red with rings and centers with thick white walls. I hop eto just get a little more power out of the motor and do the interior over useing the third row seats and have a fold down table. My son races BMX and we are going to use is for travel. I am bringing it back home on Sunday and hope to get it cleaned up and do some little things. I will post more pics next week when I get it cleaned up. If anyone has any ideas I would like you to post them up for me. This is my first older project so I can use all the help I can get.

BlackTopMotors 06-17-2011 09:40 PM

Very Nice and Welcome! Looking forward to the progress.

bondo510 06-29-2011 07:46 PM

I love it!

bri68 07-05-2011 08:18 PM

So, I finally got the Suburban home after two weeks. The truck was 140 miles away and I wanted to make sure I had someone follow me home. Well It ran great 140 miles between 65-75 mph threw two accidents and a huge traffic jam in Harrisburg. Only seem to have two small issues I seem to get break fluid from the top cover of the master cylinder. I hope that is just a gasket issue. The second is I get oil out of the breather on the valve cover, again hope it is just a gasket. I spent Saturday cleaning it out and trying to see what needs to be done first. I am hoping to the body work and the interior done over the next few months and finish the engine work. I hope you like the new pictures

bri68 07-05-2011 08:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry, Pics did not upload the first time.

BlackTopMotors 07-07-2011 10:03 AM

Even when there is work to be done, it's great to start on a clean vehicle...lookin good!

vectorit 07-07-2011 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you still have this seat?
If you do, can you take some detailed photo's of it for me?
I need close ups of the front seating areas, and the back side of it.

That is a 1968 pattern seat from what I can make of it in this photo.

I am collecting data on the 1967 and 1968 seat cover patterns, mainly to make sure I can reproduce the same covers for my 1968 Suburban accurately.

Thanks!

nate_g_2003 07-07-2011 11:47 AM

Nice Burb!!