The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Emission & FMVSS Labels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=769374)

harrij4 08-13-2018 05:12 PM

Emission & FMVSS Labels

Everyone was so helpful in the last thread, I figured I'd check here first. Search didn't lead me to anything obvious, but my apologies if this has been broadly covered.

As an out-of-state purchase (I live in CA and am trying to register a car brought in from out-of-state), the state of California requires the vehicle to have the "original" emission control and FMVSS labels present on the vehicle. Two questions:

1) Does anyone have a 350ci CALIFORNIA emission control label that they can snap a photo of (should be on the driver side inner fender (right near the fluid reservoir)
2) Does anyone have a preferred source for these labels?

Thanks in advance - buying a truck shouldn't be this hard!

SeventyOne 08-13-2018 06:52 PM

Re: Emission & FMVSS Labels

I'm surprised you have to do this on a smog exempt truck...

My 71 didnt have those stickers anyways lol

harrij4 08-13-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8321747)
I'm surprised you have to do this on a smog exempt truck...

My 71 didnt have those stickers anyways lol

It's tricky. The form that the DMV inspector fills our (REG31 Vehicle Verification Form) states that safety certification label (blue one, I believe on the driver door) is required for all models 1970 and newer and that the Emission control Label (white one, I believe on the driver-side inner fender) is required for all models 1968 and newer.

If you don't have those labels it seems that they refer you to CHP for inspection (God only knows what that entails).

I'm just trying to make sure I don't end up with a truck that I can't actually register in the state.

SeventyOne 08-13-2018 07:08 PM

I'm sure there are several CA owners of out of state bought pre-smog vehicles - i'm curious what you REALLY have to do because this sticker thing seems really strange.

Sorry I dont have any answer but looking forward to seeing what others say.

SeventyOne 08-13-2018 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this one of them?

Attachment 1811058

harrij4 08-13-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8321762)
Is this one of them?

Attachment 1811058

For a 1970 vehicle - yep! I can order GM Restoration Parts versions, but I just can't find a 1972 350CID that states "Federal and California". Now, i guess for you guys who REALLY know this ****, was there a 2V 350CID sold with CA emissions? It looks like there MAY have been a 4V, but that emission label states "heavy duty vehicles".

simicrintz 08-13-2018 08:36 PM

Mine (wife's actually!) came from Montana and I went down to the local AAA and was out within a half hour. They did not need or ask for any of that and I do not have it. Is it the DMV requesting or did you try AAA?

harrij4 08-13-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simicrintz (Post 8321840)
Mine (wife's actually!) came from Montana and I went down to the local AAA and was out within a half hour. They did not need or ask for any of that and I do not have it. Is it the DMV requesting or did you try AAA?

I'm pre-gaming right now for a future transaction. AAA seems to be a crap shoot since they "technically" don't process out-of-state titles, but they seem to pretty regularly. I just really don't want to end up with a truck that I can't register. Literally today they tried to keep me from registering a motorcycle that I brought with me when I moved to CA, which is an acceptable exemption. They seem to love telling people bad news, just trying not to give them a reason.

DeadheadNM 08-13-2018 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the CA emissions decal correct for at least 1972. LM code - not reproduced to my knowledge.

harrij4 08-13-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8321929)
Here's the CA emissions decal correct for at least 1972. LM code - not reproduced to my knowledge.

Damn, that's it! Thanks! Now, unfortunately that's basically the ONLY one I can't find reproductions of....doh

simicrintz 08-13-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrij4 (Post 8321916)
I'm pre-gaming right now for a future transaction. AAA seems to be a crap shoot since they "technically" don't process out-of-state titles, but they seem to pretty regularly. I just really don't want to end up with a truck that I can't register. Literally today they tried to keep me from registering a motorcycle that I brought with me when I moved to CA, which is an acceptable exemption. They seem to love telling people bad news, just trying not to give them a reason.

They really didn't know what they were doing (took a couple of people before I got to the "guru" and still I had to sweet talk her). To me you have a better chance there than at the DMV.

That said, like others mentioned I can't why they care as it is smog exempt. What bike were you trying to register?

hemi43 08-13-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrij4 (Post 8321933)
Damn, that's it! Thanks! Now, unfortunately that's basically the ONLY one I can't find reproductions of....doh

Should be pretty easy for someone with a bit of artistic talent to duplicate that decal.

C107168 11-19-2018 12:03 AM

I’ve been in a long ongoing issue trying to a register a 71 C10 in CA that I purchased from CO over a year ago. CHP listed emissions label as “missing” on VIN verification form. Turned in form along with all other documents to DMV and their “Registration Suspense Unit” wrote back stating they wanted a emissions compliance letter from the vehicle manufacturer. Contacted GM for this letter and they say they can’t produce it because their records don’t go back that far (back to 12 digit VINs). I’ve been on the phone with them numerous times, even wrote a formal letter, providing pictures of every other label on the truck proving that it exists, and they still won’t produce a letter. Also, purchased a reproduction emissions label from Classic Industries but DMV not willing to accept another VIN verification form. I’ve considered legal action but don’t know who to go after, GM or the state of CA. Thinking I’d have better luck going after GM but at what cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

harrij4 11-19-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C107168 (Post 8387145)
I’ve been in a long ongoing issue trying to a register a 71 C10 in CA that I purchased from CO over a year ago. CHP listed emissions label as “missing” on VIN verification form. Turned in form along with all other documents to DMV and their “Registration Suspense Unit” wrote back stating they wanted a emissions compliance letter from the vehicle manufacturer. Contacted GM for this letter and they say they can’t produce it because their records don’t go back that far (back to 12 digit VINs). I’ve been on the phone with them numerous times, even wrote a formal letter, providing pictures of every other label on the truck proving that it exists, and they still won’t produce a letter. Also, purchased a reproduction emissions label from Classic Industries but DMV not willing to accept another VIN verification form. I’ve considered legal action but don’t know who to go after, GM or the state of CA. Thinking I’d have better luck going after GM but at what cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're experiencing my worst case scenario. I had the FMVSS and Emissions decals reissued then used AAA to do the registration. Smooth sailing, but if I hadn't had the labels I would have been facing the CHP. I wonder if there's a way to withdraw the original application and then re-apply using reissued decals and either AAA or a private VIN verifier?

C107168 11-19-2018 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrij4 (Post 8387167)
You're experiencing my worst case scenario. I had the FMVSS and Emissions decals reissued then used AAA to do the registration. Smooth sailing, but if I hadn't had the labels I would have been facing the CHP. I wonder if there's a way to withdraw the original application and then re-apply using reissued decals and either AAA or a private VIN verifier?

I’ve also considered asking DMV for the paperwork back and re-applying but worried they have the VIN flagged in their system. Might be worth registering it in AZ for a year and then try again in CA. Sucks, truck sits in the garage for over a year, can’t enjoy it and shot down every effort I make.

Funny thing is, just about every one of these trucks you see for sale online don’t have the sticker.
Posted via Mobile Device

harrij4 11-19-2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C107168 (Post 8387175)
I’ve also considered asking DMV for the paperwork back and re-applying but worried they have the VIN flagged in their system. Might be worth registering it in AZ for a year and then try again in CA. Sucks, truck sits in the garage for over a year, can’t enjoy it and shot down every effort I make.

Funny thing is, just about every one of these trucks you see for sale online don’t have the sticker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Right! And, one of the reasons the CA examples are worth more $$. Once they're registered and titled in CA, its a huge hurdle and something that increases the value a few $k. The whole thing is stupid if you ask me. It's a nearly 50yo car, of course it doesn't have an effing sticker left... Good luck to you!

CoolK5 11-22-2018 03:14 PM

As long as your truck is a pre 1975, in California,then it is smog exempt. They shouldn’t ask you anything about smog or require any smog checks.

Rickysnickers 11-22-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simicrintz (Post 8321840)

This! I have bought a couple of vehicles where I have had to register in CA and they have been out of state vehicles. Never had a problem. AAA is always fast.

gijoecarlos 09-26-2019 12:26 AM

anyone reproduce a fmvss label?

beadblaster 09-28-2019 09:09 AM

Brothers has the decals

Martyt 09-28-2019 10:30 AM

I registered a Colorado 72 Jimmy a few weeks ago at AAA in San Diego. Given the smog exempt status, I was surprised but they want to see if I had that sticker. The kid at AAA was really flyspecking everything and making me nervous; he said if I did not have that sticker I would have to go see the CHP. Fortunately, the sticker (which Pete posted above) was still on the fender well.

allchevy58 09-28-2019 05:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You can have a shop that makes signs copy and print new ones. Friend of mine made me new ones for my 58' Impala, 72' GMC and 71' Monte Carlo. He made me extras but the GMC isn't California, the Monte is California. I don't think it would help you.

beadblaster 09-28-2019 06:10 PM

These are like the ones brothers has. Did not realize they do not have the california statement on the bottom.

DeadheadNM 08-03-2021 10:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For the record. Here’s an emissions decal on a 70 Blazer with an auto trans and RPO NA9 [CA] Emission Control called out on the SPID, which may relate to the duplicated “fuel neck” cover seen on the RH rear.

Keith Seymore 08-04-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrij4 (Post 8321773)
Now, i guess for you guys who REALLY know this ****, was there a 2V 350CID sold with CA emissions? It looks like there MAY have been a 4V, but that emission label states "heavy duty vehicles".

The powertrain charts do not show separate offerings for California vs Federal usage.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...82#post8953582