The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If grasshoppers had machine guns the birds wouldn’t mess with them. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796184)

Ruger1 11-06-2019 12:14 AM

If grasshoppers had machine guns the birds wouldn’t mess with them.

5 Attachment(s)
In January I purchased this beauty from a gentleman in Oklahoma. It didn’t stay together for long. I immediately started ripping this thing down to the bone. I had a vision for this truck since the day my dad let me drive his 69 when I was 15 years old. I felt I should keep a record of the process and what better way than here with peers that have a passion for the same thing! Here’s the progress so far. Please feel free to voice your opinions and or constructive criticism. I’m all ears!
Posted via Mobile Device

Steeveedee 11-06-2019 01:10 AM

Re: If grasshoppers had machine guns the birds wouldn’t mess with them.

Interesting. If grasshoppers had red and yellow stripes, the birds wouldn't mess with 'em, either, 'cause they'd be poison, like Amazon tree frogs. Cool truck!

Ruger1 11-06-2019 01:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
First was tear down!

Ruger1 11-06-2019 01:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
.... and more tear down.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 01:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Next came the fun stuff. I wanted a short bed so I decided to cut the frame down. I cut 12" from the center and 8" from the rear. With a little welding help from a buddy, I think we got this thing pretty solid!

Ruger1 11-06-2019 01:49 AM

Sorry for the sideways pictures. I will learn this interwebs thing one day.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 02:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After dipping my toes in the chassis cutting pool. I decided to learn how to swim. Yup, I decided to step notch the rear. I get a little ballsy when it comes to what I think I am capable of. But hey, a wise man once said, "If your gonna get into some ****. You might as well get it all over you."

Ruger1 11-06-2019 03:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more shots of the step notches and boxed the frame a little bit. Shortly after coming to a stopping point the rear axle showed up. Went with a narrowed 9", eaton true trac 35 spline, 389 gear. Plan on putting a built 4L80E in front of it.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 03:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While working on the chassis I ran into a little treasure. A 400 sbc setting in storage container of my friends father. 100 bucks later she was in the bed of the truck on the way to the machine shop. Local guy named Kim Barr can build a mean one!

Ruger1 11-06-2019 03:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I know alot of yall are probably saying "LS THE WORLD!" but the sbc has that sentimental value from my teenage years while driving my fathers 69. With that being said, the ol' sbc wasnt about to be no driving miss daisy engine. With the expertise of Kim and a little pocket change she's larging and chargin like Katlyn Jenner before the nut cuttin :jest: Here are a few pics of what she looks like now.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 03:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a break on the rear end and moved up front when the Porterbuilt dropmember came in. Cant say enough good things about the Porterbuilt guys. Took care of me and didnt mind droppin some knowledge on a newbie such as myself. Oh did I mention, this is my first frame off/custom build? This forum has helped tremendously!!!! I am still learning things daily from here. THANKS TO ALL THE AWESOME PEOPLE ON HERE!!! Anyway back to the front end. This was not a task I wanted to try to tackle so I was more than happy to dig deep for some quality craftsmanship from Porterbuilt. Here's a couple pics.

72 tigger 11-06-2019 06:57 AM

Nice project! That will be a mean truck when you’re done

bigmac73 11-06-2019 09:18 AM

hey looks good. Do you have the engine specs?

dmjlambert 11-06-2019 09:34 AM

Good progress. That looks nice. That is an interesting rear bumper on the truck.

phlegm 11-06-2019 09:48 AM

Looks like fun, the right tools and space make all the difference in the world.... and Ill play.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump there arses when they hopped...

Ruger1 11-06-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8622426)
Nice project! That will be a mean truck when you’re done

Thank you sir.

cornerstone 11-06-2019 11:26 AM

Welcome aboard neighbor. For a custom truck I believe you are doing it right! Thems some right purdy welds there. How about a side shot to show us your wheels? Keep the pics a comin' man!
Brian

Ruger1 11-06-2019 02:07 PM

Haha. I like the poisonous spin you did there. Thanks.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmac73 (Post 8622461)
hey looks good. Do you have the engine specs?

Engine is stroked 3.75 and bored .040 to make it a 422. 598tq / 595hp

Attached a picture of the break in on the dyno.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlegm (Post 8622480)
Looks like fun, the right tools and space make all the difference in the world.... and Ill play.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump there arses when they hopped...

Haha! Learned a new one with the frog quote, thanks! As far as tools and space, I’ve found there’s never enough. Lol. Doing everything out of my “2 car” garage. Let’s just say I’m a Tetris master by now. Lol

Ruger1 11-06-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8622525)
Welcome aboard neighbor. For a custom truck I believe you are doing it right! Thems some right purdy welds there. How about a side shot to show us your wheels? Keep the pics a comin' man!
Brian

Thank your, sir! I appreciate the welcome. I plan on posting more pics of the process until I catch up to where I am now. Gonna try to get those up tonight.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8622471)
Good progress. That looks nice. That is an interesting rear bumper on the truck.

Thank you, sir! Man, that bumper was SOLID too! Still have it hanging around. Kinda like it. Lol

BB72CHEVKT 11-06-2019 03:05 PM

I had Kim Barr build me a big block for my 72 and ended up selling it 10 years later and just now getting back to doing something with the 72.

Happy_dan 11-06-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruger1 (Post 8622620)
Thank your, sir! I appreciate the welcome. I plan on posting more pics of the process until I catch up to where I am now. Gonna try to get those up tonight.

Looking forward to the pictures. Great thread.

Ruger1 11-06-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 8622627)
I had Kim Barr build me a big block for my 72 and ended up selling it 10 years later and just now getting back to doing something with the 72.

Kim really knows his stuff. Glad your finally getting back around to it. Good luck!