The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Paint Code Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=819647)

Don Pratt 03-17-2021 06:47 PM

Paint Code Help

3 Attachment(s)
I just bought this 67 CST and am hitting a roadblock finding original paint info. The SPID reads "SPECIAL"?

68bowtie 03-17-2021 07:30 PM

Re: Paint Code Help

Very nice!

Maybe post some close ups of where paint is chipped or worn through.

gmc684x4 03-17-2021 07:40 PM

Looks like you have two tones of blue in the cab

Joesjunk 03-17-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8895696)
Looks like you have two tones of blue in the cab

67’s were all painted interior color on the inside of the cabs. 68 changed to body color on the inside metal.

Steeveedee 03-17-2021 08:32 PM

It looks like the seats may have been reupholstered, but if you can find a broadcast sheet in the springs, it might help. "SPECIAL" is pretty non-descriptive, that's for sure.

best view 03-17-2021 08:57 PM

Your firewall will tell u the color

ThreeQuarter 03-17-2021 09:07 PM

Hi Don, my experience agrees with Joesjunk--'67s interiors were painted a coordinating color to the interior upholstery, so that blue paint would not be special. Can you tell whether the exterior has been repainted before, and if so do you see any clues beneath the current paint?

Congrats on the acquisition. That's a nice example of a nice pickup. I'm in Adel, let me know if you find yourself at any local car meets this spring/summer.

jocko 03-17-2021 10:20 PM

Interesting.. To Joe's point, 67 interior paint was not tied to exterior color - the 4 options were Fawn, Red, Blue and Green. The Special Paint annotation would apply to the exterior paint applied only anyway - and since 521 White and 526 Off White were both options, a Special Paint callout would mean that your original paint was neither of them. Sooo... there's either been a repaint along the way somewhere (any indications?) or your original paint was a non-521 or 526 code of GM white. Perhaps Ermine or Provincial white?? I'm always fascinated by Special Paint codes... still searching for the magic decoder ring that must be floating around somewhere in a GM basement. Have any original sales paperwork that might have an indication? I don't believe the build sheet or firewall will help in this instance.

lil hoodlum 03-18-2021 01:04 AM

What a great find, any photos of your 327 and oil bath air cleaner?

Wonder if you take off the tailgate and remove one of the tailgate trouins (spelling?), if the original paint may be found there?

lil hoodlum 03-18-2021 01:06 AM

Maybe your original interior color is fawn based on the color of the inside of your glovebox?

lil hoodlum 03-18-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil hoodlum (Post 8895881)
Maybe your original interior color is fawn based on the color of the inside of your glovebox?

Cancel that thought, noticed your steering wheel, carpet, and door panels, and seat belts are blue. I would say your original interior color is blue..

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8895690)
Very nice!

Maybe post some close ups of where paint is chipped or worn through.

It looks to me like a slightly off white under the current white.

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8895746)
It looks like the seats may have been reupholstered, but if you can find a broadcast sheet in the springs, it might help. "SPECIAL" is pretty non-descriptive, that's for sure.

I already have new buddy bucket upholstery coming, so I'll look for that sheet when I recover. Thanks!

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 8895760)
Your firewall will tell u the color

Thanks! I'll look this weekend.

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreeQuarter (Post 8895769)
Hi Don, my experience agrees with Joesjunk--'67s interiors were painted a coordinating color to the interior upholstery, so that blue paint would not be special. Can you tell whether the exterior has been repainted before, and if so do you see any clues beneath the current paint?

Congrats on the acquisition. That's a nice example of a nice pickup. I'm in Adel, let me know if you find yourself at any local car meets this spring/summer.

I can see chips of white paint missing with just a slightly off white under. I don't know yet if the slightly off white is the original color.

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lil hoodlum (Post 8895878)
What a great find, any photos of your 327 and oil bath air cleaner?

Wonder if you take off the tailgate and remove one of the tailgate trouins (spelling?), if the original paint may be found there?

The oil bath is long gone, this is what is on it now.

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 10:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some other things I've never seen before... a Speed Warning Indicator... and it still works!

That little dial by the wipers moves the indicator on the speedo. If you go faster than that is set it lets you know.

Then to the right of the fuel gauge is a manual choke. The black knob next to the ignition increases the idle. Never seen that before in my life.

Don Pratt 03-18-2021 12:49 PM

I just found this...

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.a...swatch_gm_1967

Is the DD on the VIN tag a paint code?
Posted via Mobile Device

68Gold/white 03-18-2021 01:05 PM

Very nice find!!!
Looks like you are an oil bath air cleaner and finding out the original color away from having a mostly original 67 C-10, way cool!!!, and a Custom Sport Truck is way cool!
Looks well maintained, not like an original Iowa farm truck special!

Need more pictures!!!
Jeff

68bowtie 03-18-2021 02:07 PM

Yep, beautiful truck. Other than the seat cover I’d throw on some 67-68 P01 wheels covers. Otherwise PERFECT. Totes jelly.

'68OrangeSunshine 03-18-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Pratt (Post 8895997)
Here's some other things I've never seen before... a Speed Warning Indicator... and it still works!

That little dial by the wipers moves the indicator on the speedo. If you go faster than that is set it lets you know.

Then to the right of the fuel gauge is a manual choke. The black knob next to the ignition increases the idle. Never seen that before in my life.

Nice '67. The choke knob in that position is normal. The ''Black Knob that Increases Idle''?. Hmm. A Factory Manual Throttle would be another knob below the Choke. Under the plastic dash panel there's a hole for mounting one in every metal dash. A PO must've wanted a manual throttle and added it aftermarket, without wanting to disturb the dash set-up. Some uses were for warming the engine up faster. Having a higher RPM for using PTO accessories, or in farming -- setting the throttle at a slow crawl while going forward in a field, and climbing out and into the bed to toss hay bales -- or whatever-- out to livestock. Have to look out that you don't drive into a ditch or fence. You could also use it on a long drive to relieve accelerator foot cramps. Sometimes mockingly referred to as a ''Mexican'' [or Polish] AutoPilot. You have to remember to slam it off when coming to a stop or even if your foot's off the pedal, the throttle's still engaged. Unlike Cruise Control, it's not disengaged when you use the brake pedal.

HO455 03-19-2021 02:48 PM

My guess would be a fleet truck for a utility company. Paint to match the fleet. The speed warning a safety item and the throttle modification for driving the power lines searching for problems.
Cue Wichita Lineman.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...hR7lHDl19g39ob

sameyrasmea72 03-19-2021 03:38 PM

Awesome find!! Congrats!!

'68OrangeSunshine 03-19-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8896625)
My guess would be a fleet truck for a utility company. Paint to match the fleet. The speed warning a safety item and the throttle modification for driving the power lines searching for problems.
Cue Wichita Lineman.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...hR7lHDl19g39ob

HO: Thanks for that blast from the past. That song was still in heavy rotation when I bought my '68 Stepside in 1973. I remember listening to it on the AM radio in my then-new-to-me truck. It made me feel I'd entered that world. Both ''Wichita Lineman'' and my Fremont-built rig, were released in 10/68.