The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Left front turn signal and indicator Dead (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=683588)

Snocap 09-27-2015 09:15 PM

Left front turn signal and indicator Dead

I've been lurking for some time...:but: but finally have a challenge. :banghead:

Issue: the Left Front turn signal and the dash cluster indicator for the left signals don't light up. The left rear turn signal flashes okay, though slower than the right side (signifying no draw from the left front).

I've verified the left front light and housing are fine by using the left side to feed power to it at the connector through the radiator support flange. I've also verified the left side dash light filament is good and have replaced the dash signal light socket.

The left front signal works fine on emergency! Don't know if it is normal but when emergency blinker is on, the emergencies will stop when braking.

Any ideas of what else to check, verify? VOM at the ready. TIA

Bill :chevy:

Stocker 09-27-2015 09:23 PM

Re: Left front turn signal and indicator Dead

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snocap (Post 7321963)
Don't know if it is normal but when emergency blinker is on, the emergencies will stop when braking.

Wish I could help with your problem, but..... at least I can answer this part. Yes, it is normal on these trucks.

Snocap 09-27-2015 09:37 PM

^Mike^
Thanks

Andy4639 09-28-2015 01:41 AM

Yes the emergency lights will quit blinking if the brake pedal is applied.

Now for the turn signal.

With key on front bulb out take a test light and see if you can get it to light up by touching one of the connectors in the housing. It should blink just like the bulbs. If not take the connection loose at the core support and try it there. If you get power there it's between the connector and light housing.
If you don't get it there go to up under the dash at the column check the wire for turn signal there. Just keep back tracking until you find power.
:chevy:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/...c2a8064d_o.jpg

hamjet 09-28-2015 07:04 AM

Also, the case of the front turn signals have to ground to the grill. while the nonworking turn signal is on, take a screwdriver or something sharp and wedge it between the grill and turn signal case to make good ground and see if it lights. it happened to mine..

TNTsigns 09-28-2015 09:11 AM

If none of the above work. Check the turn signal switch under the steering wheel. The switch will not make proper contact due to dust or light corrosion. It is a pain to remove the steering wheel. I have had to do that on several of my trucks in the past.

Snocap 09-29-2015 01:33 AM

Well still tracing the wire. No power at the engine side of firewall except when emergencies are active. Since emergencies are active I'm thinking that the issue is the switch itself as the same wire is used for both.

Snocap 10-13-2015 07:10 PM

It's the switch, turn signal. So guess we will be pulling the SW. I may be able to bend the contact. We will see.

Poky67C10 10-13-2015 11:04 PM

Just following this. I'm kinda in the same boat with my front turn signals

Snocap 10-14-2015 12:40 AM

After tracing the wires I found no power to the entire wire. So took her on a drive. And suddenly I had intermittent good connection signified by the turn signal indicator. So after I got back from my drive I lightly pressed the lever and was able to replicate the now working lights. Hope this helps someone else. I will likely not pull the steering wheel for a week or so. News at 11.

74baggedbug 02-17-2016 12:29 AM

Any updates experiencing the same thing now

VetteVet 02-17-2016 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74baggedbug (Post 7489135)
Any updates experiencing the same thing now

Here is how to test your turn signal switch without pulling the steering wheel.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695511

74baggedbug 02-17-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteVet (Post 7489237)
Here is how to test your turn signal switch without pulling the steering wheel.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695511

Started tracing down wires and found a bad connection under the dash.. Fixed now thanks

snipescastle2 02-17-2016 10:53 AM

Look at your steering column "half Moon" connector, those sometimes work loose and might be a culprit, also mice have a tendency to chew through wires, might have a broken connection.
Ben
:metal:

Snocap 02-17-2016 11:33 AM

Sorry as have no update. Have had too much work on house Etc. Mine is definitely in the switch, just need to pull it. Glad you found your bad wire.

custom10nut 02-17-2016 11:35 AM

In addition to all the rest of the advice, check all your wires for breaks. I've had wires break, but the outer shell stays intact. Also, check any connection for corrosion. Here is SC, the humidity reeks havoc on wiring. My truck has been sitting for a while, so I'm having the same issues that you're having.