The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   68 GMC to a 2003 Tahoe chassis (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=747558)

richards72chevy 03-08-2019 09:10 AM

Re: 68 GMC to a 2003 Tahoe chassis

Nice trucks following.

jkeating1 03-08-2019 04:06 PM

Glad to see you're back on this! Anxious to see you solve problems.

I had to smile and nod at this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 75Dually (Post 8080923)
….everyone, and I mean everyone of your friends who are not car folks think we are crazy for driving anything but stock rides. The strange part is that a lot of them like them but just don't know why we waste our time doing all this mess!

I guess we all get that!

75Dually 03-08-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richards72chevy (Post 8482469)
Nice trucks following.

Thanks man! Hope I get some stuff done before the year runs out!:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 8482749)
Glad to see you're back on this! Anxious to see you solve problems.

I had to smile and nod at this:

I guess we all get that!

I was cracking up, not only at my bad grammar in that quote, but just how true that statement is even today... :lol: I took my dually to lunch and there were these oil field workers who just stood there looking at it in the parking lot. It was sitting on the frame parked. They were not being mean or ugly, just standing there checking it out. Dollars for donuts that they were thinking "Why would a guy ruin a good work truck like that?" Then I walked over and got in and hit the Accuair up to setting 3 (highest height setting), and the look on their faces was awesome. It was like "Did you see that!" "Dang!! The Decepticons are real!!!" Or something like that... :lol::metal::metal::lol:

wibilly 10-31-2020 09:33 PM

What ever happened with this project. I just come into an 03 Yukon 3/4 ton 4x4 thinking of putting one of my 67 cabs on it. 6.0 liter 4l80

75Dually 10-31-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibilly (Post 8829898)
What ever happened with this project. I just come into an 03 Yukon 3/4 ton 4x4 thinking of putting one of my 67 cabs on it. 6.0 liter 4l80

It is still moving slowly along. I just have not been posting progress here. However I have the cab mounted, new seats, and a ton of small stuff done. Our summer was brutally hot and it was tough to get out and work on it, Covid did not help either. I have the bed to fit and mount, and then on to the front end. I'll see if I can take some update pictures of where I am.

aggie91 11-03-2020 12:42 PM

I almost jumped off the cliff to do this swap for a square body I have, as I found a Tahoe set up with the body already pulled for a good price recently. But luckily I decided my time and money was better spent on my '65 C10 that I already have most everything I need to get on the road...

MikeinNH 04-30-2021 04:09 PM

Any movement on this? I'm currently looking for a Tahoe to put my 71 cab and stepside bed on. Digging though all the threads on this site for ideas. I will document as much as I can when I get to the real stuff.

75Dually 04-30-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeinNH (Post 8915315)
Any movement on this? I'm currently looking for a Tahoe to put my 71 cab and stepside bed on. Digging though all the threads on this site for ideas. I will document as much as I can when I get to the real stuff.

Actually there has been a good bit of movement on this project. I have been working on the truck through Covid. I will post some updates on it.

75Dually 04-30-2021 04:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been a long time since I have posted anything on a forum. Mostly been using Instagram to post pics of my work any more. If you want to see more current stuff go over there and find me under @75dually .

I have been working on getting the bed mounted, tubing in and welded up, and the bed flooring completed. Here are a couple of pics of my more recent work. The last picture in this stack is from back in January this year. I got Covid in early February, not really bad, but it set me back about 6 weeks. I have not been back out working on this because of motivation and other life priorities getting in the way.

Once I got the bed squared up I built the tubing frame work, and then I started laying the down the plywood base. I coated all the plywood in bed liner for long term protection. Then I bought a bunch of really nice red oak and milled it for some custom metal slats. I have since these pictures sealed up the oak with a single coat of poly and some stain. I have all the metal slats cut and waiting on etch primer and then paint.

Some other small items I have completed is the front sheet metal has been hung, and the front bumper and it's mounts have all been finished up. So that really helps check off a lot of small items on my super long list. I have found a 90's blue 60/40 bench seat at a local bone yard. It was a really great find. I still have to get the steering column mounted and the shaft hooked up to the steering box, but I am gaining!;)

I have tires mounted on my 22" transport rims, and they are temporarily mounted on the truck so I can roll it around the shop. The rims are going to get painted when the bulk of the work is completed.

So basically I'm down to getting all the lose ends tied up before I can start it and bring it to some shows. I just need some motivation!

aggie91 05-03-2021 02:56 PM

Nice update Chris!

I wish we could have worked out our schedules to come see your stuff when I was out there.

Well, now you just have to get it finished enough to bring it to C10's in the Park in September. I am shooting to have 2 or 3 projects there at the show this year. I know that 1 will be ready, the other two are a mystery if they get finished...

MikeinNH 05-03-2021 03:55 PM

The bed looks great. What did you make the metal slats out of? One thing I wonder about using a Tahoe chassis is if the rear spring setup will need to be adjusted as the weight should be quite a bit lighter with only a bed.

75Dually 05-03-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8916502)
Nice update Chris!

I wish we could have worked out our schedules to come see your stuff when I was out there.

Well, now you just have to get it finished enough to bring it to C10's in the Park in September. I am shooting to have 2 or 3 projects there at the show this year. I know that 1 will be ready, the other two are a mystery if they get finished...

I wish you did have time when you were out here. Would have been fun! I am trying to get it done for that show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeinNH (Post 8916521)
The bed looks great. What did you make the metal slats out of? One thing I wonder about using a Tahoe chassis is if the rear spring setup will need to be adjusted as the weight should be quite a bit lighter with only a bed.

The metal slats are 1"x1" .083 wall box tubing cut down the center. I had a ton of it, and it really worked out well. It will look great painted up against the stain I am using. About the springs, I think you are right about the spring weight, but I am going to have to wait and see what the ride is like before I will change anything. I have looked at a couple of different sets which are fairly cheap so I bet I can find the right combo.

MikeinNH 05-04-2021 03:45 PM

Sounds good, thanks for the reply.