The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Scam alert (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=831366)

Speedracer39 02-23-2022 09:29 AM

Scam alert

1 Attachment(s)
I have a listing on wtb looking for radio knobs for 72 deluxe style and this guy responds. I contacted the email he sent me and the guy sent me pictures along with price and PayPal info. When I went back and looked at the private message that was sent on this site this guy was already suspended. He never got a dime from me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vicente Aceves 02-23-2022 10:38 AM

Re: Scam alert

Thanks for the heads up!

Accelo 02-23-2022 11:44 AM

I am always suspect if the seller has a gmail account.

Big Kev-O 02-23-2022 12:01 PM

I wouldn't trust anyone trying to sell things with ZERO posts.

TKCR 02-23-2022 12:14 PM

I wouldn’t if they ask you to use Friends & Family on PayPal. Never do that, use the Purchasing Goods & Services. If something happens with the sale, then PayPal will not help recovering the funds if F&F was used.

Liz 02-23-2022 12:22 PM

leddzepp banned him yesterday

Smitty 02-23-2022 12:36 PM

That turkey did the same to me. But was directing me to a gmail account for a 67 horn button. Saw he was new with no posts. And nothing as far as personal info so I didn’t bite. Thanks for the vigilance by our admins. Used the same email.
Smitty

MikeB 02-23-2022 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9041988)

Huh? I've had a Gmail address for 10-12 years along with many of my friends and relatives. Which domain names do you associate with honesty?

Thundarr 02-23-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 9042034)
Huh? I've had a Gmail address for 10-12 years along with many of my friends and relatives. Which domain names do you associate with honesty?

Same here.
People shouldn't associate a Gmail address with a scam. It's probably just that many people have one and they are free. No different than my Yahoo or Live accounts.

HalfBrit 02-23-2022 04:07 PM

And here I was feeling all proud of myself for using Gmail, instead of my ancient AOL address, :lol:. Seriously though, thanks for the scam alert.

leddzepp 02-23-2022 04:28 PM

These types of scammers are everywhere on Facebook. The way they operate is that they look for someone posting a “want to buy” thread and then send you a private message claiming to have the part/item, OR direct you to a website showing a business. A quick google search will show whether or not the business actually exists. They will send pictures that they pulled off the internet to prove they have the part in hand.

If you have a “want to buy” thread here and someone sends you a private message please report it if you suspect it’s a scam. That way staff/admin can review and research to see if the person is legitimate or not and take appropriate action.

Speedracer39 02-23-2022 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 9042112)
These types of scammers are everywhere on Facebook. The way they operate is that they look for someone posting a “want to buy” thread and then send you a private message claiming to have the part/item, OR direct you to a website showing a business. A quick google search will show whether or not the business actually exists. They will send pictures that they pulled off the internet to prove they have the part in hand.

If you have a “want to buy” thread here and someone sends you a private message please report it if you suspect it’s a scam. That way staff/admin can review and research to see if the person is legitimate or not and take appropriate action.

Excellent advice
Posted via Mobile Device

TKCR 02-23-2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

leddzepp, you are correct, they are everywhere. Especially in the truck groups on Facebook. I have had quite a few of my pictures used in attempts to scam people out of money. In 1 week there were a couple of BenchSeat ads, and they were using my pictures of my seats. I knew they were mine, I can see the inside of my own garage in the photos. :lol:
Then there were several people looking for seatbelts, so this scammer sent them PM's claiming to have a restored set of seatbelts to sell. They wanted $200 sent via PayPal Friend's & Family. Someone that knew my work sent me a message telling me about what this scammer was doing. I jumped in there and said I was interested in the belts, and sure enough they sent me photos of a set of seatbelts that I had restored for someone several years ago. So of course I played along for a few minutes, asking for more info and they showed me a few more pictures. Then I let loose on them. Told them I was reporting them because they were trying to sell something that I knew good & well they didn't have, and that they were using MY pictures to try and scam people! Needless to say that messaging stopped abruptly and they left the group.
And its not so much the scammers are using gmail. I would say its more that they ask you to use PayPal Friends & Family to pay. The transaction is not protected. Alot of people are not aware of this, but when you get burned, you'll never send money that way again. Trust me, I learned the hard way, ONCE.

cwcarpenter98 02-23-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

These scammers are also all over Instagram. Basically, any place that allows parts to be sold, these scammers have started popping up recently

jimijam00 02-23-2022 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedracer39 (Post 9041927)
I have a listing on wtb looking for radio knobs for 72 deluxe style and this guy responds. I contacted the email he sent me and the guy sent me pictures along with price and PayPal info. When I went back and looked at the private message that was sent on this site this guy was already suspended. He never got a dime from me.
Posted via Mobile Device

So BLUF, he never scammed you. Guess you are just letting us know someone got banned? Isn't that against the rules?

jimijam00 02-23-2022 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9041988)

Sorry to hear that. Some of us have been using gmail, yahoo mail, or the like for 20 years. Those email addresses have followed me on every move I've made in service to the United States. Have you ever moved across country or out of the country and been able to take your local ISP and the email address they provide with you? It don't happen.

raggedjim 02-23-2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimijam00 (Post 9042202)
So BLUF, he never scammed you. Guess you are just letting us know someone got banned? Isn't that against the rules?

Which rule applies to scammers?

jimijam00 02-23-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9042228)
Which rule applies to scammers?

:haha:

davischevy 02-23-2022 08:46 PM

This thread deteriorated quickly. :lol::lol:

Orange71shorty 02-23-2022 09:26 PM

I just got a scam reply from saddjack. Zero posts, he referred me to a gmail address as well. Attention admins!

Speedracer39 02-23-2022 09:30 PM

This is the reply I received when I ask if he accepted pay pay. ( lots of red flags )

Yeah i do accept paypal kindly make payment to my son’s paypal account here’s his info Jovinonyan321@gmail.com and send me a screenshot of payment when sent so i can proceed with the shipping and send you necessary trackings

N.B-payment should be made as family and friends

Best regards
Sammy
Posted via Mobile Device

jimijam00 02-23-2022 09:38 PM

Since there doesn't seem to be a forum where the admins can post all those scammers that have been banned, thereby making forum members aware they are scammers, maybe this thread should be used for that? Probably a sticky linked at the top of every forum to this thread would work.

leddzepp 02-23-2022 09:52 PM

After they are banned they can no longer access the site, and cannot contact members.

leddzepp 02-23-2022 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedracer39 (Post 9042260)
This is the reply I received when I ask if he accepted pay pay. ( lots of red flags )

Yeah i do accept paypal kindly make payment to my son’s paypal account here’s his info Jovinonyan321@gmail.com and send me a screenshot of payment when sent so i can proceed with the shipping and send you necessary trackings

N.B-payment should be made as family and friends

Best regards
Sammy
Posted via Mobile Device

“Kindly make payment” is a huge red flag. That verbiage was used when a scammer contacted me on Facebook.

Ironhorse 02-23-2022 09:56 PM

Primary indication of a possible scam is the total lack of any posts to any extent. It takes time and effort to post threads and most scammers are out for the quick $$ they can score with no intention of building a background of various posts and replies. On occasion I have received a PM from a newer member with a request to buy. Always reply to them that PM sales are not per board rules and reply intent to purchase in the thread. Always met with a polite, oops, okay, I can do that.

Might add, I have a gmail account and have had it for years. Didn't realize that was a scam signal?