The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My tach install thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=499570)

rideblue00 12-22-2011 09:43 AM

My tach install thread

Well, i finally decided i wanted a tach in my "gauges" cluster. So i did some quick research and decided on the Sunpro FZ88R. It has a similiar look and correct sweep. As far as i can tell its only availible in the 3 3/8" inch size. I ordered it from Summit Racing at the cost of 129.99. It comes with a mounting cup and 2 brackets. Steering column mount and dash mount. And screws and instrucions obviously. No wires.
I have some pictures here that illustrate how it fits in my cluster. This tach is a sealed unit. Which means you cant take the internals out unless you cut the case. So im going to attempt to install it as its comes out of the box. Initially, it appears to fit very close. So i am going try to design a plate to go over the back of the cluster housing to bolt the tach to.
So this is as far as ive gotten. I plan to finish this in 2 weeks(dont hold you breath..lol). I will try to get my plate cut out and finished within the next few days. More pics to follow soon. Any questions?

rideblue00 12-22-2011 09:48 AM

Re: My tach install thread

4 Attachment(s)
pics of the tach

rideblue00 12-22-2011 09:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
pics of tach in cluster

rideblue00 12-22-2011 09:57 AM

In the last picture you can see some of the chrome face exposed. I will try to paint the face black to eliminate the shiny spots. The face is offset a little bit. So opening up the black cover plate to a full circle may not work. Oh, and i did have to file down the back of the black cover plate because it had a radiused protrusion sticking out. But i didnt have to file it flush. I will try to get a picture of this, but i have to take another cluster apart to get the picture.

tomfg 12-22-2011 10:23 AM

Very interesting, look forward to your progress. Do you plan on installing anything in the other left hand hole?
I plan on starting my conversion soon, but have already purchased a reproduction tach from one of the old Chevy parts houses.
Debated a long time on what to do with the other hole as long as I had the cluster out. Thought about a vacuum gauge, clock, etc., but finally decided on a Volt Meter. Just awaiting for it's arrival before the fun begins.
I ordered a
"Auto Meter 2319 Auto Gage 2-5/8" 10-16 Volt Short Sweep"
Hope I can get it to fit, and look decent.
Good luck on your project.

chevyrestoguy 12-22-2011 12:37 PM

I have been considering this EXACT SAME mod!!! Man, I am definitely tuning in to this thread.

My ideas were similar to yours, but I was planning to disassemble the gauge, which meant gently prying open the crimp on the chrome bezel. If you did this, you might be able to utilize the factory gauge plates. Looking at your set-up, I might just do the way you're doing it, as it looks much easier than my way.

I was going to contact one of the gauge overlay companies and see if they would make me an overlay with the correct green lettering to match the rest of the cluster. I found overlays for 5,000 rpm and 6,500 rpm faces, but nothing to match the new Sun tach's 8,000 rpm sweep.

If you're looking for a cheap idea to fill the left side of the cluster, check out my '64 build thread and see how I did my vacuum gauge for cheap.

markeb01 12-22-2011 12:52 PM

It’s a shame they didn’t produce this new tach with the same bolt-together technology found on the vintage models. It would make things a lot easier for gear heads that can’t leave anything alone. I have had good luck in the past twisting bezels off gauges and using the guts inside factory panels on 1940’s cars. Just a little scary on a brand new gauge costing over $100, since you can’t know for sure what else they may have changed until after it’s torn apart.

Looking forward to seeing this all back together.

neslie 12-22-2011 01:27 PM

Lmc list a tach conversion kit on page 73 of the catalog. Said it's for trucks that didn't come with the tach in the factory cluster.

1963c-10 12-22-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neslie (Post 5078062)
Lmc list a tach conversion kit on page 73 of the catalog. Said it's for trucks that didn't come with the tach in the factory cluster.

Also comes with a hefty price

rideblue00 12-22-2011 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Im excited about this as well. I have a few more pics here. I have to come up with a way to bolt it in. I have the plate as you can see. I have to weld some tabs on my .030 aluminum....that out to work well...lol. Its very thin. I plan to try to make more of these. We will see.

lowmemory 12-22-2011 04:49 PM

Good job done!

markeb01 12-22-2011 04:56 PM

The casual observer would never know that didn't come from the factory.

Greg63 12-22-2011 05:42 PM

Nice work - looks great.
Greg.

rideblue00 12-22-2011 10:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I still have to finish the back plate for the tach to bolt to. And i also am going to track down a clock for the other side. If i can, i plan to make these back plates to sell. Got to finish the design first. I found the tach through summit racing, but saw it also on ebay for 99.99. I paid 129.99. I wanted to go through summit in case i had to return it. I will try to get pics of the way it came out of the box. I considered just putting on my steering column. Then decided to put it in the cluster.

scottveazie 12-23-2011 01:43 AM

I was looking at the exact same tach for my '65. Can you give any details on the bracket you made?
Posted via Mobile Device

jocko 12-23-2011 01:48 AM

hey, looks very nice! jocko like!

LostMy65 12-23-2011 02:55 AM

Looks really good.

Appreciate you posting your work.

rideblue00 12-23-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottveazie (Post 5079268)
I was looking at the exact same tach for my '65. Can you give any details on the bracket you made?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure what details you would like. Im not finished with it yet. The gauge is just sitting in the hole temporarily. I tried something different today and it didnt work. Im still trying to come up with a way to bolt it. Time is kinda short with the holiday an all. I will try to work on it tommorrow again. I will give an update soon.

rideblue00 12-27-2011 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a picture of the black overlay plate. It has a raised part that needs to be filed down. In my picture you can see this, right at the end of my marker. I just filed it down flat. Otherwise it holds the tach away from the window to far.

rideblue00 12-27-2011 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres a pic of my plate almost done.Im gonna paint it yet. Its 2 pcs of aluminum welded together. I have some other ideas about making them from steel. Once i get back to work after the new year, i will have access to a plasma cutter and will try to make these from steel.

jimmydean 12-27-2011 01:25 PM

Nice work!

I just replaced the backs on mine for both the clock (custom) and used a tach similar to that, but not as nice. :lol:

Captainfab 12-28-2011 01:07 AM

Very nice work :thumbs:

losthope 12-28-2011 01:23 AM

I see you selling these tach brackets on ebay in the near future:lol: nice work!!

rideblue00 12-28-2011 07:28 PM

Thanks for the compliments. As far as selling them, i have a few other design ideas. I wont be able to explore them till next week or so, when i go back to work. Im going to try to make them out of steel instead of aluminum. The real problem is cost(isnt it always) and time to make. I should have bought the tach that classic parts or lmc has. If could source the tach for under 100 and get the plate for like 40, thats closer to what i think people would pay.We will see.

T2vigil 12-28-2011 11:52 PM

I have been keeping trac of this from the first day. By far the best post concerning tach alternatives. I have an original Sun Tach but it is for a V8 and I will be keeping my in-line 6. The original tach is engine specific and to have it refurbished at about $260 is cost prohibitive. Your Idea is perfect. Now for the question. Have you looked at removing the chrome bezel prior to mounting it? And what would be the pros and cons in doing so?