The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

bmxbang 05-15-2019 06:41 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8526206)
Me too. Wood for the 68 long step bed

:metal: heck yes! That will look amazing.

72c20customcamper 05-15-2019 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the patch panel ready for the bed real easy when a friend has a new computerized brake.

72c20customcamper 05-15-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxbang (Post 8526209)
:metal: heck yes! That will look amazing.

Using white oak.

Steeveedee 05-15-2019 11:00 PM

One of my younger brothers put white oak in the bed of his truck, with stainless steel strips. Everyone joked that the only thing he was going to haul after that was ass. I guess so, what with the 383 stroker and the blower and narrowed Ford 9". I dimly recall that it made it into a magazine. I'll ask one of my nephews if that is true.

72c20customcamper 05-16-2019 08:33 AM

Using white oak rather than red because it's much more rot resistant when exposed to weather. Not going to be a show bed.

72c20customcamper 05-16-2019 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Major job getting the trailing arm off. Ubolts were frozen in the arm. Had to use heat and a bfh. New bushings and paint. It's back on the truck just to bushed to get another picture

Already Gone 05-16-2019 08:05 PM

My truck has had an incessant whine in the rear end since I bought it. Had it checked and everything is tight and good. Been told some are like that but it annoys the hell out of me. So today I bit the bullet and ordered new rear axles, crown and pinion, bearings, seal set et al and a Detrot Locker TruTrac as the truck has 3:73's and i"m instaling a 700R4 and am getting an original 400 small block which will be replacing , in a few years, the original 90,000 mile 350. I figure with the 700R4 's lower first gear and the 3:73's and a 400+HP small block the TruTrac is a good option.Oh yea the TruTrac cost almost the same as all the other parts combined..

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-16-2019 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Still a few components I can add yet, but for the most part "phase 1 of 3" is done.

Failed on the first valve cover gaskets, they were too thin, and I perhaps I blew it expecting the body/paint guy to flatten out the valve covers. Where there's a will there's a way, I ended up flattening the surfaces yesterday. Pillows, hammers and straight edges got her done cleanly. I ordered Moroso gaskets, which are basically 4-5 X the cost. I don't mind spending $45 if it means no leaks. Hopefully they do the trick.

It's all on phase 2 now, which is body and paint, and I'm not doing much of either.

72 Super 05-16-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8526831)
Still a few components I can add yet, but for the most part "phase 1 of 3" is done.

Failed on the first valve cover gaskets, they were too thin, and I perhaps I blew it expecting the body/paint guy to flatten out the valve covers. Where there's a will there's a way, I ended up flattening the surfaces yesterday. Pillows, hammers and straight edges got her done cleanly. I ordered Moroso gaskets, which are basically 4-5 X the cost. I don't mind spending $45 if it means no leaks. Hopefully they do the trick.

It's all on phase 2 now, which is body and paint, and I'm not doing much of either.

Tony, coming along nicely!

Ray

typerr 05-16-2019 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the new valve covers & air cleaner I picked up at the Long Beach Collector Car Swap Meet last weekend. Also new plug wires. I think she cleaned up pretty good. Still a few more things to do until I'm happy with my recent purchase. I found the correct alternator mount at CPP so I need to get that installed. I also need to sort out the radiator mounting. I seem to have a 3 row radiator installed in the larger 4 row mounts.

allchevy58 05-16-2019 11:02 PM

Looking good.

Ganty101 05-17-2019 03:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got my new radiator and got it fitted right away. The original brackets didn’t quite fit but longer bolts and some spacers got them to fit good.

OregonNed 05-17-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typerr (Post 8526890)
Installed the new valve covers & air cleaner I picked up at the Long Beach Collector Car Swap Meet last weekend. Also new plug wires. I think she cleaned up pretty good. Still a few more things to do until I'm happy with my recent purchase. I found the correct alternator mount at CPP so I need to get that installed. I also need to sort out the radiator mounting. I seem to have a 3 row radiator installed in the larger 4 row mounts.

That looks fantastic!

71gmcC15 05-17-2019 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted the top of my dash today. Used truck bed liner. Not that I wanted to use it but my black paint when to cap on me so I decided well I got it all masked up I mine as well use the can of bed liner I had laying around. Turned out pritty good. Will see how easy it is to clean in the future. New dash pad on the way.

FL71C10 05-18-2019 07:18 PM

Got it running!

https://youtu.be/NVcrKw8zutI

Steeveedee 05-18-2019 10:28 PM

Drove it. There was a Buick-Olds-Pontiac meet-and-greet that I started many years ago when I had a hot rod Buick Skylark. I sold my Buick many years ago (the truck is money pit enough!) so another guy started doing it. I went today and got to see some pretty nice old cars. My favorite was a black/black/black '65 GTO with 3 deuces and a 4 speed, and a 389, completely original down to the brake drums, presented by the original owner. I had a '65 GTO, but it was a complete beater.

70 shorty 05-19-2019 10:27 AM

Put a new rear u joint in the driveshaft since the old one fell apart leaving me on the side of the road the other day. I decided not to do the front one at the same time, since I have a knack for messing up things that I touch, and it felt fine.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-21-2019 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going through withdrawals, a depression and self-doubt;) because abruptly, there's very little I can do for my truck right now.

I did manage to polish up these Wittek clamps today. They were on the spark arrester/carb. spacer, and withstood the test of time nicely. The power steering reservoir hose has the same clamps.

70STOVEBOLT 05-21-2019 04:22 PM

Finished painting the front third of my frame, now I can assemble the front suspension with the disc brake conversion.

psoucy 05-22-2019 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Starting to see some progress on the body, finished getting all the rust off and coated. Did the sandblasting of the cab myself, won't do that again. I sent the rest out to the sandblasters, he's going to epoxy prime for me. Can't wait to start putting this baby back together.

Knight72 05-22-2019 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rebuilt the rear drums. Ended up having to reuse some old springs. New kit wasn't right. And test painted a spare rallye and eyeballed it to see if I'll like the look. Gonna rock these with white letters. Gotta figure out how to secure the caps though

Already Gone 05-22-2019 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Didn't actually do anything to the truck today but Fed Ex and Purolator stopped by with some goodies for it, which will be installed within a few weeks.

72c20customcamper 05-22-2019 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welded in the patch panel .

Astro-Balls 05-22-2019 09:57 PM

Heater Core and AC cleanup, New Fan Switch and Resistor, Seals etc...

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserv...c-71b8e7ce97fc

Astro-Balls 05-22-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71gmcC15 (Post 8527282)
Painted the top of my dash today. Used truck bed liner. Not that I wanted to use it but my black paint when to cap on me so I decided well I got it all masked up I mine as well use the can of bed liner I had laying around. Turned out pritty good. Will see how easy it is to clean in the future. New dash pad on the way.

Thats a great idea, No Glare either. looks great.