The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Window Tint (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=195132)

71cheyennezz4 04-05-2006 01:07 AM

Window Tint

Im debating, i want to keep the truck as close to original as i can, and i havent really seen window tint on these classic trucks, i was wondering your opinions, if i do it, it will be completely reflective so you cannot see in, not just a light tint, opinions are welcome! the cops around here dont care about it we put 2% on a 56 caddy, and i have true dual exhaust on a 2000 silverado with no mufflers and hollowed out cats, as well as every other truck around here with loud pipes, the cops dont mind! anyway, back to the window tint question!

camaro__thunder 04-05-2006 02:43 AM

Re: Window Tint

1 Attachment(s)
Black it out! My windows are 2 layers of 5% so it's kinda 0% :lol:

rigon4 04-05-2006 02:54 AM

lets just put it this way the cops around hear are not in to stopping the older cars/trucks. But new cars/trucks they will stop you every time you pull out of your drive way!! I'm only 18 and have 71 2wd blazer, 87 k10 bilt 355, 4 in. lift 33's, headers with pipes that end at front of box no muff's, 5% tint , and a 87 z28 flowmaster cat back system, 5% tint. Never pulled over in them but you take a frends honda with a fart cat and tint your done for. In NY you cannot tint your front windows and back have to be 78% now!! COP:me2:

camaro__thunder 04-05-2006 03:01 AM

Why dont you people run mufflers ? :crazy:

Yukon Jack 04-05-2006 10:09 AM

I'm thinking about a light tint for my 69. If you do use dark tint, do the cops a favor when you get stopped, roll down your windows so they can see in easier - it will make their job easier and might get them to cut you a break.

chevybill 04-05-2006 10:24 AM

In MS dark window tint is very illegal. I believe anything darker than 35% gets you into trouble. If you do not get pulled over, you will have trouble getting an inspection sticker when it comes due.

I think these trucks look fine with tinted windows.

petsudeh 04-05-2006 11:09 AM

I just put 35% on my 71 chevy pickup. Looks perfect I think, not too ghetto.

Bill72BB 04-05-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71cheyennezz4
Im debating, i want to keep the truck as close to original as i can, and i havent really seen window tint on these classic trucks, i was wondering your opinions, if i do it, it will be completely reflective so you cannot see in, not just a light tint, opinions are welcome! anyway, !

I had a hard time seeing at night out the back window with a Limo tint ,also it was tough to see out of during the day when wearing sunglasses .
I removed it after awhile .

Lippyp 04-05-2006 12:25 PM

Mine was tinted when I got it, it's almost certainly illegal here now as you're supposed to have a minimum of 75% light transmission on the front, tbh it's a bit of a PITA at night at road junctions.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ck/newside.jpg

boundstaffpress 04-05-2006 12:47 PM

I had 5% on the back windows of my nova wagon. I loved it for keeping the heat down, but it made backing up a PITA.

If you tint your windows pull them out of the truck and do it right. IMO nothing looks worse than rough edges and bubbles.

I have a carport now, and probably won't tint my truck windows. I don't need to be that cool anymore.

71cheyennezz4 04-05-2006 03:04 PM

thanx for all your inputs!

see ten 04-05-2006 04:30 PM

Both of my trucks have 2.5% on the back glass and 35%on the front windows. I really enjoy it. I use the hyper white backup bulbs which help at night.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...h/DSCN0540.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...h/100_0198.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ruckMay_05.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ckMay_05_1.jpg

Sheverlay 04-05-2006 04:48 PM

Get it professionally done. it will look better and last longer. They also use better quality tints that are easier to see out of, and don't have that ugly purple tint to them. I had a local tinting shop do my side windows to match the factory tinted back window on my S-10. I think they used 20% and it matches pretty good. Cost me like $70 bucks. You can see in it from the outside, if you are looking straight at it, but not at an angle. Also, I think we have to have 50% light transmission here in Ohio, but I havn't got pulled over yet. :cool:

Sheverlay 04-05-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro__thunder
Black it out! My windows are 2 layers of 5% so it's kinda 0% :lol:

Why didn't you just paint 'em :lol:

chevyboy55 04-05-2006 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic.

davidh 04-05-2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack
I'm thinking about a light tint for my 69. If you do use dark tint, do the cops a favor when you get stopped, roll down your windows so they can see in easier - it will make their job easier and might get them to cut you a break.

I used to tint windows for years and still do occasionally. When I was younger like pre 25, I liked the darker stuff. Now I like the lighter tints. Tint has come a long way since the 80's. The newer metalic tints (with slight reflection) in a light 35% will block out heat more than your old Gilla purple ghetto 5% tint will. I think of 5% and I think teenager. IMO lighter tints look a lot more tasteful. Unless your truck is inside 95% of the time I suggest getting it done to save your interior from fading and it helps with the AC too.
Also like Yukon Jack said when I get pulled over I have the window down and try to have hands at 2 and 10 oclock with my INS and driver's license under each thump. I've got many warnings by keeping the HI-PO's at ease.
Yukon Jack maybe we can trade out(tint). I'm not too far away!:)

kelsfine69 04-06-2006 12:39 AM

You know what... I did tint for years. Check out your local glass shop. I had my rear slider taken apart and reinstalled with tinted safety glass, same with the side windows. Much better than tint( doesnt scratch). Rear is like limo and the sides are about 28%. I still had to tint the vents, but if I could replace them with real glass I would in a heartbeat. In the long run it might be worth it. Glass is not as expensive as you think. M2C

mburgert 05-03-2006 11:56 PM

I like a light tint but your truck looks tighter than a 90 year old nun as is

MisterMan 05-04-2006 12:41 AM

guys... i live in california..... visalia ca,...... so many lil rice burners /w/ graphic kits hanging overonto the window... they cant write the tickets fast enough...

if ya do that... hope to god u dont get a fix it ticket. friends brother got 1 on his 90's chevy.... (blacked out /w/ body flames overlapping the windows).... got a f.i.t...... removed it... got pissed and sanded his 2,500 paint job away.... started over... THANKS DADDY!!!

4x4Poet 05-05-2006 03:20 AM

I'm with kelsfine. Why apply tinting if you can replace with unscratchable tinted, tempered side windows and tinted windshield. I don't know about the back window. OTOH, it's just flat pane glass easily cut new in tinted by a glass shop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsfine69
... I had my rear slider taken apart and reinstalled with tinted safety glass, same with the side windows. Much better than tint( doesnt scratch). Rear is like limo and the sides are about 28%. I still had to tint the vents, but if I could replace them with real glass I would in a heartbeat....

Vent windows are available in green tinted glass, just like the door windows. My regional vendor (not really mine, but nearest to local I have;)), Rez Engineering, has at least one green tint vent window on the shelf (last time I looked months ago). Rez deals with Canadian shipments all the time. Mostly to Alberta. 1-406-727-9267

Check your local vendors, too. IIRC, Alberta has at least two 67-72 GM truck resto parts vendors.

carrzy4 05-05-2006 03:36 AM

dark window tint looks good on some vehicles, but it depends on the cops where u live. when im in my truck, i want people to see whos drivin.plus i got enough troubles being a young guy drivin a old yellow truck hot roddin around. I actually got pulled over once and the cop told me he thought it looked suspicious, apparently i looked too young to drive a truck like that. I try to make it as street legal as possible. but thats just where i live.

1LoC10 05-05-2006 09:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a light tint.. both sides and then the back window is just the bottom with a heartbeat type swoop to it

1LoC10 05-05-2006 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
front