The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need some frame expert help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=775019)

Jeff's72C10* 11-11-2018 08:36 PM

Need some frame expert help

1 Attachment(s)
I think I posted a pic of the damage of the front frame cross member on a truck I purchased a while back. I have a friend who has an early 80's frame that the cross member is in excellent condition. He says the frames are the same from 67 to the early 80's as far as the front section is. Can anyone verify that this would work on my 72? Appreciate any help. Photo of my damaged one for reference. Thanks again

notsolo 11-11-2018 08:45 PM

Re: Need some frame expert help

You may opt for swapping out the whole front cross member, axle hub to hub, cross members fit thru "87"...That's what's under my "72" works fine.

Jeff's72C10* 11-11-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 8382390)
You may opt for swapping out the whole front cross member, axle hub to hub, cross members fit thru "87"...That's what's under my "72" works fine.

Thank you, appreciate the info. He's giving me the whole frame. I can't use it except for parts as it's a shortbed frame and I have a long bed. It does have a 12 bolt posi rear end, disc brakes on the front and a set of the rallye wheels, so that's a plus. I'll probably swap the whole thing, but replace the bushings and such first.

I would imagine to swap the front cross member the engine will either need to come out or some way be supported? Thx again

KQQL IT 11-11-2018 10:02 PM

Be easier with the engine out.
Could also use the clamshell style motor mounts as well.

LockDoc 11-11-2018 11:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff's72C10* (Post 8382437)
Thank you, appreciate the info. He's giving me the whole frame. I can't use it except for parts as it's a shortbed frame and I have a long bed. It does have a 12 bolt posi rear end, disc brakes on the front and a set of the rallye wheels, so that's a plus. I'll probably swap the whole thing, but replace the bushings and such first.

I would imagine to swap the front cross member the engine will either need to come out or some way be supported? Thx again

I just jacked my engine up and blocked it while I swapped the entire cross member on one of my trucks. I had to re-drill one hole on each side and enlarge one hole on each side. I think the front cross member is the only assembly that will swap in with a minimum of modifications.

LockDoc

Jeff's72C10* 11-11-2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8382485)
I just jacked my engine up and blocked it while I swapped the entire cross member on one of my trucks. I had to re-drill one hole on each side and enlarge one hole on each side.

LockDoc

Thank you sir for the additional info. Appreciate it.