The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   "turn on" wire? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=351597)

dan42 07-04-2009 12:30 AM

"turn on" wire?

1 Attachment(s)
O.K., retrosound sent me a transistor to "fix" my problem with the thumb drive not working when the truck is running. It has three wires- one goes to the constant power, one goes to the ignition (hot), and one goes to the "turn on" ignition wire. I know where the first two go, but where does the "turn on" wire go? Which wire would that be, and what color is it?

AceX 07-04-2009 05:11 AM

Re: "turn on" wire?

From what I gather by that pic, you're supposed ot hook up the two wires on the right to the wires from the deck. the "turn on" connection is for the "IGN" wire in the column.

Acc. is usually the "hot" or constant with IGN serving as a switching source.

dan42 07-04-2009 11:05 AM

Thank you - on the wiring diagram for our trucks, it looks like the IGN is pink. I'm gonna try to hook it up today and I'll let you know if it solved the problem.

dan42 07-04-2009 07:05 PM

Well, I connected the transistor per Retrosound, and it's better - if I start the truck while the thumb drive is playing, it will continue to play once the truck is running. But if I rev the engine moderately, the thumb drive starts to skip, like a warped record. If I gradually bring up my RPM's, it works O.K.. Something is interrupting or surging the power to the thumb drive.

AceX 07-05-2009 03:23 AM

Talk to Retrosound again. This is getting rediculus...

dammitmitchell 07-05-2009 03:36 AM

if you have a "stationay mount...

you are either shaing the crap out of your thumbdrive to the point of breaking the circuitry"
if you have a "loose" or remote mount.....
it's the manufactures fault..
is it connected to the "blue remote" wire?
(coming from the reciever itself?)
or to the "pink" wire in the dash you spoke up..

what thumbdrive are you using?
i hope this helps at all..

dan42 07-05-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dammitmitchell (Post 3395982)
if you have a "stationay mount...

you are either shaing the crap out of your thumbdrive to the point of breaking the circuitry"
if you have a "loose" or remote mount.....
it's the manufactures fault..
is it connected to the "blue remote" wire?
(coming from the reciever itself?)
or to the "pink" wire in the dash you spoke up..

what thumbdrive are you using?
i hope this helps at all..

It's not shaking. The thumb drive I have is a Scandisk cruzer, 8 gig - I already sent it to them once so they could see what I was using, so that shouldn't be the problem. And I used the pink wire from the ignition. I emailed them, and I'll probably talk to them tomorrow. I'll post the results.

dammitmitchell 07-05-2009 10:02 PM

ok the thumbdrive is indestructible...
they are very very good ones.. good choice..
not sure about the "pink wire" becausei dont know all the wires off hand i'd have to sit down with a shcematic for a while...
but..
the light blue "remote" wire.. is an accesory power wire (usually used for an amp) soooo.. it can be worth the experiement if your problem continues..

but good luck and i hope this works out.. maby you could do a "write up" on what you installed how you installed it and why.. so that in teh future other boardmembers can take a peek at it...

AceX 07-06-2009 12:38 AM

Strange question: Is your voltage spiking when you rev? Maybe the regulator on the alt. isn't doing it's job causing voltage spikes and making the unit got berserk.

dammitmitchell 07-06-2009 09:02 AM

ohhhhh good point!

dan42 07-07-2009 12:00 AM

I'm gonna check that out. I'm thinking it might be something like that. But would the radio and the iPod still be unnaffected? Because there's no problem with them.