The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windshield Washer Pump Replacement (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489265)

SFTorange 10-16-2011 04:30 PM

Windshield Washer Pump Replacement

5 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

I just finished installing a new windshield washer pump, and I thought I'd share what I did with everyone. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I had mixed results with an attempt to rebuild my original washer pump. It quit working after just a couple of uses, so I tried a replacement original pump from Orielly's with the same result.

Attachment 815158

Fed up with the old-style mechanical pump, I decided to see what kind of electric pump I could find at Napa. After a bit of working, my parts guy and I found this part number 60-300 replacement electric washer pump that is designed to do exactly what I was trying to do.

Attachment 815159

I bent up a bracket similar to what the original pump sits on.

Attachment 815160

After a bit of black paint and a couple of screws, I was all set. The new pump hooks right into the original wiring and works perfectly. The replacement pump comes with the necessary fittings to plumb right into the exisiting hoses from the original pump. Now I have a powerful, reliable washer pump, and the cost came in just under $20.

Attachment 815161

Attachment 815162

Woogeroo 10-16-2011 05:17 PM

Re: Windshield Washer Pump Replacement

That is awesome tech... thanks a lot for taking the trouble to document and share with us.

I know how time consuming just one little article can be.

Thanks!

-W

TR65 10-16-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks SFT!!

Now I might have washers again.

TR

markeb01 10-16-2011 09:05 PM

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

T Smith 10-16-2011 09:41 PM

Another thanks! Pictures are worth a thousand words!

The PO of my truck took out the hoses, nozzles, and everything so I've really got to start from scratch.

SFTorange 10-16-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 4956602)
That is awesome tech... thanks a lot for taking the trouble to document and share with us.

I know how time consuming just one little article can be.

Thanks!

-W

Quote:

Originally Posted by TR65 (Post 4956689)
Thanks SFT!!

Now I might have washers again.

TR

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4956973)
Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Smith (Post 4957055)
Another thanks! Pictures are worth a thousand words!

The PO of my truck took out the hoses, nozzles, and everything so I've really got to start from scratch.

Thanks everyone, I'm just glad to be able to contribute to the site!

jonzcustomshop 10-16-2011 10:24 PM

awesome ! great tech , thanks

dracko 10-17-2011 11:59 AM

Thanks! I was just searching around wondering what pump would be a good fit. Perfect timing!

Any idea if it'll be a pain to wire up if the truck never had washers to begin with? I already mounted up the washer fluid reservoir/tubing/sprayers and have the knob with the push button.

jimmydean 10-17-2011 01:20 PM

Nice work, I now have another under the dash project. Thanks.

SFTorange 10-17-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracko (Post 4958033)
Thanks! I was just searching around wondering what pump would be a good fit. Perfect timing!

Any idea if it'll be a pain to wire up if the truck never had washers to begin with? I already mounted up the washer fluid reservoir/tubing/sprayers and have the knob with the push button.

I can look at my wiring, but I can't imagine that it will be hard. On my truck there's a 12V ignition source that comes off of the windshield wiper motor. Your truck might even have the correct terminal on the motor for it. I believe that the push button on the switch simply completes the circuit by creating a ground.

Let me know if you need more help.

SFTorange 10-17-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 4958130)
Nice work, I now have another under the dash project. Thanks.

It's nice to have on one that costs 20 bucks and takes less than an hour to complete!

magwakeenercew2jh 09-17-2012 01:17 PM

The original wiring connector for the washer pump has double yellow and dark blue.

On the Napa Part, with what looks to be a pink and black lead, which goes to which?

I'm gonna guess: The yellow on the connector goes to the pink lead, and the dark blue on the connector goes to the black lead. Right?

I'm going right now to Napa to try for this part. Going to follow your tech EXACTLY. Thanks much.

1972SUPERSB 10-01-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 5597330)
The original wiring connector for the washer pump has double yellow and dark blue.

On the Napa Part, with what looks to be a pink and black lead, which goes to which?

I'm gonna guess: The yellow on the connector goes to the pink lead, and the dark blue on the connector goes to the black lead. Right?

I'm going right now to Napa to try for this part. Going to follow your tech EXACTLY. Thanks much.

Please let me know if this works. I want to do this on my truck next. Just wanna know what the easier way to wire it up will be.
Posted via Mobile Device

jjzepplin 10-01-2012 03:42 AM

So does this work just like the original? Or do you have to hold the wiper button to spray. Lets see them a sprayin..just sayin

huahuamick 10-01-2012 05:53 AM

http://www.couponsavings.info/rec/smile.jpg
http://www.couponsavings.info/for/smile.jpg

CRGRS 66 10-01-2012 08:53 AM

saving this in my electrical folder, thanks for sharing!
funny, I hear my pump running when I press the button... but the PO discarded the washer bottle so I don't know if mine actually works or not. Even if it does, this is a good upgrade. I won't even bother with the old one.
Thanks!

DkOlive72 09-10-2013 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey folks,

I just did the same mod recommended here, using a trico pump from O'Reilly Auto, but instead of building a new metal piece, I stripped off all of the old parts of the original pump and mounted the universal pump to the original metal plate. I also soldered the wires to the original terminal (after disconnecting and stripping off all of the windings from the solenoid). Sorry the pic isn't the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1966shortwide 09-10-2013 12:19 PM

I just mounted a pump from oreilly's next to washer reservoir and wired it to work with push button on wiper switch so it ground's motor to run, run's on high and low speed on wiper's when pushing on switch button. Plumbed hose from reservoir to pump and then to squirt nozzle's . i removed all other hoses routing to factory pump . i left factory pump mounted as it did not work anyway.

lasher78 09-10-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1966shortwide (Post 6262426)
I just mounted a pump from oreilly's next to washer reservoir and wired it to work with push button on wiper switch so it ground's motor to run, run's on high and low speed on wiper's when pushing on switch button. Plumbed hose from reservoir to pump and then to squirt nozzle's . i removed all other hoses routing to factory pump . i left factory pump mounted as it did not work anyway.

any pics of how wired to factory push button knob?
Posted via Mobile Device

DkOlive72 09-10-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasher78 (Post 6262507)
Posted via Mobile Device

The existing wires that go to the factory pump are literally all you need. One is hot all of the time, the other is switched ground (ground is made when you press the wiper button).

I *think* the yellow wire is the hot one, but can't remember for sure.

1966shortwide 09-10-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lasher78 (Post 6262507)
Posted via Mobile Device

I went to wiper switch directly with one wire only, i put it in the wiring harness on truck, it will be ground source for pump when you push washer button For hot source for pump , i wired that to horn relay which is real close to my pump. Pump always has power to it ,but when you push washer button ,all it is doing is grounding pump motor. For me it was easier to do than mounting pump to factory pump area . If pump ever goes bad easy to change under hood.As earlier in post ,a good idea but a little more time under the dash to complete.

scottofksu 09-11-2013 07:35 AM

Here's an interesting option for those of us who did not originally have this option on their truck... Certainly not for the "purist", but it is a complete kit...

Amazon.com: ACI 99300 Windshield Washer Pump:... Amazon.com: ACI 99300 Windshield Washer Pump:...

davepl 08-10-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 4958227)
It's nice to have on one that costs 20 bucks and takes less than an hour to complete!

Not with AC! I'm working on this now and it took me at least 2 hours to remove the HVAC controls, ashtray, radio, oil pressure line, vacuum line, headlight knob, cluster, and most of the AC pipes.

On a non-AC truck I think just the radio would do it. Or the cluster.

My point being that if you ever have easy access to this area and want reliable washers, do it when you have access!

Snailed 08-10-2014 08:34 PM

I used on of those universal Trico pumps too. It worked OK but I killed it accidentally. I replaced it with a used, stock pump from a 2005 GTO. The pump was smaller but it sprays MUCH stronger which is nice to blast snow and dirt off.

Sturvin 01-31-2016 05:37 PM

I know I am resurrecting an old thread here, but fun fact:

If you remove your ignition cylinder, you have a very easy straight shot at the top screw holding the pump on.

I used a 12" extension and a 1/4" socket through the hole for the ignition and it came right out!