The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Fuel from tank to pump (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=792727)

srfinatsunset 08-31-2019 03:53 PM

Fuel from tank to pump

1 Attachment(s)
The fuel pump is not pumping (sucking) fuel from the tank. I was able to get the fuel pump to pump (suck) from a 5 gallon jug that was right under the pump. The fuel tank had at least 5 gallons of fuel in it. Could it be a warn out fuel pump? Do I need to prime the fuel line? I park the burb on the street which is on a hill. Nothing crazy but gravity goes down hill. (Fuel will flows back to the tank) would an electric fuel pump be better?

Getter-Done 08-31-2019 04:04 PM

Re: Fuel from tank to pump

1 Attachment(s)
The sock filter on the sending unit may be clogged?
Attachment 1934137

HO455 08-31-2019 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a short (6") piece of hose about halfway between tank and the pump on the passenger side in front of the cross member. The front line and the back line have 90* bends and the hose hooks them together.
It can get old and hard and allow air to be sucked into the line. Photo shows where it is but I have removed the bends and replaced the hose with a pair of compression fittings and a short piece of hard line.

srfinatsunset 09-01-2019 09:57 PM

I’m dealing with an auxiliary tank. And extra lines. No fuel in the lines. I don’t really want the auxiliary tank. I cut the bends out of the fuel lines and now I have a straight fuel line to the original tank. I have clear fuel filter under the the fuel pump. Durning idol fuel is trickling into the fuel filter. When I press on the throttle the engine revs up, the engine doesn’t stall. But I don’t see an increase in fuel in the fuel filter.

HO455 09-01-2019 10:26 PM

Are you having issues with how the truck runs? I have never seen a clear fuel filter that was completely full even if it was mounted vertically. If the truck is running good I would toss that clear filter, put a metal one it its place and never look back.

pwdcougar 09-03-2019 06:24 PM

Have you tried to test the fuel pump? You can remove the line from the fuel filter, add a fuel line to it and observe the fuel flow when cranking the engine. Ground the coil wire and have someone standing next to you with a fire extinguisher. I've over simplified this but there should be videos on doing this. The end of the fuel line should be directed into a plastic jug.

Paul

vectorit 09-04-2019 03:18 PM

Vent plugged?
Have you tried with out the gas cap on?
Could be a plugged line in the tank from the sock degrading or filled with junk too.

srfinatsunset 09-04-2019 04:01 PM

This weekend I will drop the tank and see what’s going on with it. I need to check the carb filters along with replacing the rubber tank lines.