The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Little Help! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=501002)

Duvall 01-01-2012 01:56 AM

A Little Help!

Hello all, I just found this Forum and am really pleased that I did.

I am the proud owner of a really clean 1972 short bed, step side.
78,000 original miles. I can't make up my mind if I want to lower it
with a resto-mod approach or lift it and go the pre-runner route.

I have two questions, depending which way I go,
1. Does anyone know of a two wheel lift/long travel for this year. I
have been told the 73-87 suspention will bolt on? Or any other Ideas?

2. If I lower it, I will only go with drop spindles and springs in the rear. what size wheel and tire combo will fit the step side. I would like to have the largest size I can fit in the rear without rubbing.

Any help I recieve with these questions is greatly appreciated.

Delmo 01-01-2012 05:31 AM

Re: A Little Help!

Contact Dino on the forum, he has done the prerunner thing. Post some pics of that sucker.

Duvall 01-01-2012 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will thanks.
By the way, your build is awesome! I have been following it and is one of the reasons I joined in here.
Thanks again.
Duvall

p.s. here is a photo of my truck as it sits.

Duvall 01-01-2012 05:41 PM

I looked up Dino, the problem is there was five Dinos. Which one should I contact?

Delmo 01-01-2012 06:08 PM

Awesome truck, here is a link to one of many of dino's threads.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466837

gearys 5600 01-01-2012 06:44 PM

NICE truck ! LOWER IT !!!!!!

domeier 01-01-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearys 5600 (Post 5095516)
NICE truck ! LOWER IT !!!!!!

NICE truck ! DON'T LOWER IT !!!!!!

M Evertsen 01-01-2012 11:41 PM

That truck looks fine the way it sits. I would just clean it up, maybe a new paint job, new rims and tires, and be certain it is 100% mechanically safe, and enjoy it!

Duvall 01-02-2012 12:50 AM

Thanks everyone, It is very reliable and solid. Like I said I am on the fence what to do to it, if anything. The wife says leave it alone and drive it. I have never been able to leave anything alone! LOL. I am about to lower it 2/4 and there is a place in Visalia Ca. that will widen the rear wheels for me and then have them powder coated bright white again. If I do paint it, I have grown to like the beautiful Yellow/Gold/Mustard color.
Does anyone know if 8 inch in the front and 10 in the rear will fit without rubbing?
Also, does anyone know if you go with the five inch drop spring in the rear if it will require a C-notch?

mud.man.rj 01-02-2012 01:00 AM

I did a 5" spring drop in rear and 3" spindle/2" spring in front and nothing hit or rubbed, no C notch needed, but real close. Most say a 6" needs it for sure.

oldblue1968chevy 01-02-2012 11:06 AM

get it running drivigng and sound and drive it for awhile before you start cutting changing fabbing

Already Gone 01-02-2012 11:55 AM

Nice truck and as has already been said, I'd drive, enjoy and get to know the truck well before you go changing things. I've had mine 10 years and use it every summer and although I've done some things to the truck I have changed my thinking over and over on what I want to do with it, and by not rushing into the decisions am very satisfied with the changes I've made to the truck. Looking at your truck I'd run some 15 x 8 rally wheels with either 255/70 15 tires or 275/60 15 tires which will fill in those wheel wells nice.

specialtyretail 01-02-2012 01:20 PM

Drive it and enjoy it. While you are doing that, you may decide you want to go a whole different direction or the parts you need may come up for sale at a great price somewhere.

70cst 01-02-2012 04:05 PM

:agree: that its a :gi: to drive it. Look at similar trucks and then make a decision.

By the way...nice lookin truck you have.

stsalvage 01-02-2012 04:25 PM

I think a lot of us in here are really starting to understand the one true fact with these trucks.One is there will be no more of these trucks built.Every year we get fewer and fewer.Now the 1973--87 well lets just say they made like 10 million more trucks blazer and suburban modals then are 1967--72 trucks.Most of us remember the mini truck faze.How many of them are still running the streets or sitting in people back yards.Yes we are still finding these trucks Cus most of the baby boomers are dieing off.But when there gone there gone.Here is another one to add to the reason why i'm posting here.Look at the 1958--64 Impala's the reason why there are just a few 1000's left is so many kids got a hold of them saw a faze that they wanted to be part of and destroyed some really pretty car's.

I feel if your going to baha something use the 1973--87 cus there are a lot more of them out there and so many of us say it all the time.We wish we still had this car or that truck or that bike.If you have kids and you like them to have the same passion as you do keep it close to stock as possible so they can have the same dream as you do.

and again I'm sorry i stole the post

jocko 01-02-2012 04:43 PM

Compromise, don't raise it or lower it. If you MUST change the ride height, go lower. I feel like such an outcast with my stock ride height... :(

Already Gone 01-02-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 5097381)
Compromise, don't raise it or lower it. If you MUST change the ride height, go lower. I feel like such an outcast with my stock ride height... :(

You shouldn't feel like an outcast, its your truck, so do as you please with it.

Duvall 01-02-2012 11:52 PM

You all bring valid points to the table. I have had this truck for almost a year now. I drive it on the weekends and do love it. I found some photos from prom night of me and in the back ground was a truck just like the one I currently own! I had forgotten about that one, as I have owned alot of vehicles. This truck I have now could pass as my highschool truck. I really appreciate all the input and will continue to check out my options. As of now, you all have me tittering on leaving it alone or lowering it. I did just get a message from Dino who has done a lift and gave me the thread title to look at.

Stsalvage, you are right about the 73-87 trucks. There is alot more support for pre-running those years of trucks. The only problem with those is I live in California and would have to find a 73-75 because of the smog laws here in this fine state.

I love all the input and plan on subscribing to the site.

By the way, my post was moved, any idea why? Did I post the question in the wrong place? Also where did it get moved too?

I will learn to navigate this site, I am just a little old and slow.