The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 11-23-2013 10:12 PM

53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

5 Attachment(s)
I started my next project yesterday.

Backstory...The build that I finshed is this 48 Chevy truck. The reason that I show a picture and mention it is because the plan for this 53 is everything that my 48 isn't. I saw this suburban less then 10 miles from my house over 10yrs ago. It wasn't until my 48 was nearing completion that I thought owning a Subrban would be cool. A few years ago the suburban disappered from the house I saw it at. I had a hunch it was held up in a barn. I knocked on the door this June and by July it was mine. With two young boys (also some of the reason for this project) and their busy sports schedules I didn't get a chance to really see what I bought until yesterday. So far I'm very pleased. My last project was 11 yrs and x amount of dollars. I want this project finished in a couple years with less money.

Plans
chassis - Porterbuild
Drivetrain - Undecided (possible 6 liter fuel injected motor)
Air management - Accuair
Paint - Not a show paint job. Maybe all metal. Some what undecided but to be decided later.
Interior - Nice. sporting all (3) rows of factory seats.
Wheels - 20" Delmo (ish) rims.

In the end I want an untra low comfortable cruiser that I can haul my faimly, bikes and all sorts of our other family crap around in. I also want to use this project as an opportunity to teach my 7 & 9 yr old boys how to turn a wrench. Something that they were not able to do on the 48.

On to the Pics.....

youngrodder 11-23-2013 10:21 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

5 Attachment(s)
A few more..
Most of the trouble areas seem to be in pretty good shape, including the rear wheel wells. It does need some passenger side floor work. We got it torn down pretty quick lastnight. Not bad for (2) hrs worth of work. I am amazed at the condition of the running boards and grill. Both appear to be original.

Marc

alaska gasser 11-23-2013 11:33 PM

Looks solid. Let the fun begin.

youngrodder 11-24-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaska gasser (Post 6385336)
Looks solid. Let the fun begin.

Thanks Eugene. Now you know where your window trim pieces are going....

Marc

oldman3 11-24-2013 01:30 AM

Hey Marc, found the build, your plan is great, and it do look like a solid piece. I'm in for the ride, so as said above, let the fun begin....Jim

YahamaR1 11-24-2013 06:24 AM

Looking good,,, i will be watching your build...
I like your 48" a lot... Nice truck....:metal:

Bishops Trucks 11-24-2013 07:13 AM

I love those old Suburbans.

youngrodder 11-24-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YahamaR1 (Post 6385566)
Looking good,,, i will be watching your build...
I like your 48" a lot... Nice truck....:metal:

Thank you, I have following your 51 build. I really like your color blue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks (Post 6385572)
I love those old Suburbans.

Must be a feeling shared by a lot of people as thers ol burbs are getting tougher and tougher to find (without breaking the bank)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 6385469)
Hey Marc, found the build, your plan is great, and it do look like a solid piece. I'm in for the ride, so as said above, let the fun begin....Jim

It will be a slow and steady ride...

Marc

Denee007 11-24-2013 11:34 AM

I've subscribed to your build! ;) Looks like a great unique build!
dne'

ps: I like your shop! and you need a MaxJax lift!;)

_Ogre 11-24-2013 11:46 AM

body looks good, surprised the floor was that gone
not a michigan title i assume :D

STOCKISH 11-24-2013 12:12 PM

Absolutely love the plans for the build. Look forward to seeing this one.

ChuckDriver 11-24-2013 02:52 PM

Should make for a very cool ride!

youngrodder 11-24-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6385764)
I've subscribed to your build! ;) Looks like a great unique build!
dne'

ps: I like your shop! and you need a MaxJax lift!;)

Thanks denee. I have been working on my shop. I just added insulation and osb. Next year I will add a natural gas hanging heater. No real room for a lift, I only have 10' walls. I would have to make a pocket in my trusses to make it work.. Not worth it.

Marc

youngrodder 11-24-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 6385786)
body looks good, surprised the floor was that gone
not a michigan title i assume :D

After screwing with it more today I will put a full floor in it. No real other work should be needed to the fire wall or toe boards. Oregon title. It appears to be in amazing shape overall.

Marc

av8tr33337 11-24-2013 05:13 PM

Awesome score and I appreciate that you intend to get the kids involved.

Fleet '66 11-24-2013 09:22 PM

Congrats on the excellent find Marc. Some good old Oregon iron all the way back there, huh? I'll be watching this one. Looks like you have a great build plan in mind. I'm sure that with your talent it'll turn out great. Good Luck.

hopped up 11-24-2013 09:29 PM

Love your green truck but I totally understand wanting something you can just throw all your stuff in and the family and go. Without worrying too much about getting a scratch . I'm looking forward to seeing this build. Love burbs

hopped up 11-24-2013 09:30 PM

I'd leave the paint as is , better than bare metal in my opinion

youngrodder 11-24-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 6386801)
I'd leave the paint as is , better than bare metal in my opinion

Thats one of the options. The only problem with that is this is primer that went unsealed thats why it started to rust. When it comes time I will hit it with CLR and decide what to do. My preference all along was a pitina'd look....

Marc

youngrodder 11-24-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleet '66 (Post 6386775)
Congrats on the excellent find Marc. Some good old Oregon iron all the way back there, huh? I'll be watching this one. Looks like you have a great build plan in mind. I'm sure that with your talent it'll turn out great. Good Luck.

Glad your so confident in my abilities...sometimes I have my doubts....Ha ha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by av8tr33337 (Post 6386336)
Awesome score and I appreciate that you intend to get the kids involved.

Yes, when my kids started asking to go work on the green truck I was already in final assembly mode and it was hard to let them learn then. I'm self taught so I hope to pass on any mechanical ability I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 6386795)
Love your green truck but I totally understand wanting something you can just throw all your stuff in and the family and go. Without worrying too much about getting a scratch . I'm looking forward to seeing this build. Love burbs

Yes, My boys are very good about do's and donts around the green truck but I would like them to be able to act like kids around in and on this suburban. Thats the plans anyway.

Thanks all......
Marc

youngrodder 11-24-2013 11:47 PM

Worked on the truckster today despite the 20 degree temps. I got the engine and trans closer to coming out. We will probably pull it this week.

I will take pics once I make some noticable progress.

Thanks
Marc

skymangs 11-25-2013 10:53 AM

Absolutely love your 48, Subscribed... Your fabrication abilities had me floored on that one!

99 to Life 11-25-2013 12:10 PM

I'm in. I hear you on the temps. We got slammed with a good snow storm this weekend.

youngrodder 11-25-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skymangs (Post 6387620)
Absolutely love your 48, Subscribed... Your fabrication abilities had me floored on that one!

Thanks. The 48 was a long build (11 yrs) and it was my first attempt at building something vintage. I have been looking forward to starting "the next project" for quite some time. I'm much more comfortable with my abilities this time around.

Marc

_Ogre 11-25-2013 03:16 PM

no heat in the garage?
you do realize that you live in michigan?
get a heater :D

the body is too nice for a michigan title, nice oregon metal