The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need to raise rear 1"-1.5" after flip kit (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=792096)

RWJJR 08-19-2019 08:33 AM

Need to raise rear 1"-1.5" after flip kit

Rear sits a little too low after flip kit/notch install. Should I go with lift shackle or Air shocks?? running stock shocks with extenders now (need to replace shocks anyway)

Stormin08 08-19-2019 01:13 PM

Re: Need to raise rear 1"-1.5" after flip kit

i may be mistaken, bu the hackle would need to be shorter to lift now...cant get much shorter than stock...

the flip was too much, you should have used a shackle / hanger combo or rear leafs.

the air shock will get the lift, but you will quickly hate the ride.

RWJJR 08-19-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin08 (Post 8578629)
i may be mistaken, bu the hackle would need to be shorter to lift now...cant get much shorter than stock...

the flip was too much, you should have used a shackle / hanger combo or rear leafs.

the air shock will get the lift, but you will quickly hate the ride.

Thanks for the useful reply... and considering I have 2 other OBS trucks sitting in my driveway with shackle/ Hanger combo, and they are nowhere near low enough, Im glad I took my chances with a flip kit.

And the do make a "hackle" that is shorter than stock that's advertised as a 1.75" lift.

54Caddy 08-19-2019 11:56 PM

Rear lift shackle will only raise it half an inch.

Stormin08 08-20-2019 07:09 AM

forgive my ignorance....mine has been bagged and linked for over 10 yrs, couldnt remember how the rear was stock.

RWJJR 08-20-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Caddy (Post 8578972)
Rear lift shackle will only raise it half an inch.

That's about what I figured, Im gonna take my chances with the air shocks for $60.

SCOTI 08-20-2019 02:50 PM

You could also relocate the shackle hanger. Dropping it down should yield some drop. You'd need to be creative to brace the hanger bracket (since it would hang lower) but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Tom 08-20-2019 06:31 PM

Shackles, for sure. Air shocks should be left in the 70's. If you just have to have air, helper
bags are the only way to go.

SCOTI 08-20-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8579250)
You could also relocate the shackle hanger. Dropping it down should yield some drop. You'd need to be creative to brace the hanger bracket (since it would hang lower) but that shouldn't be too difficult.

To clarify.... By "drop" I mean lower/decrease the total amount of drop that the flip-kit yields. I have considered doing this on my 99 CC SWB 3/4 ton until I'm ready to make the change to bags/link suspension.

RWJJR 08-24-2019 11:41 AM

Air shocks worked great ... raised up the 1"I needed and the ride is not bad at all!

special-K 08-26-2019 06:36 AM

I would have gone with aux air bags. They'd do the same thing as the air shocks but leave you with better suspension action at given height.

I can't imagine those shorter shackles would allow much action that shackles are intended to give. I think the lesson here is on leaf rear trucks when lowering, do the rear first then match the front. You have more options for getting the front where you need it

RWJJR 08-26-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8582251)
I would have gone with aux air bags. They'd do the same thing as the air shocks but leave you with better suspension action at given height.

I can't imagine those shorter shackles would allow much action that shackles are intended to give. I think the lesson here is on leaf rear trucks when lowering, do the rear first then match the front. You have more options for getting the front where you need it

Ive done several GMT400 trucks and the shackle/hanger drop is never enough on these trucks, which is why I went flip/c-notch. I knew it would sit low compared to the front. The air shocks I put on got the rear up the 1" or so I needed and ride great. The lesson I learned is what I knew before..shackle/hanger is not low enough. Flip kit , notch and air shocks are the way to go!

Tom 08-26-2019 06:58 PM

The thing with air shocks is they are loading brackets that were never designed to handle weight. Fine for empty trucks, but I wouldn't want to use them on trucks being used like trucks.

Stormin08 08-27-2019 04:48 PM

i would concur with that point, but being a light duty lowered truck, it probably wont be an issue.

My Dodge on the other hand, spun an axle tube after i beefed up my shock mounts. Guess the 2.65 Bilsteins were just to much

HAULIN' IT 08-29-2019 09:41 PM

If you are planning to not do a "mechanical" means of raising the inch I would suggest something similar to what I am using on my truck. My purpose was more of a way to maintain the ride height with some weight in the bed, however it would work fine for what you are doing & place the force to where it better belongs (not the mounts of the shocks as mentioned) Lorne
https://beta.photobucket.com/u/HAULI...c-f12427ea611a