The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Points to electronic ignition conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=415550)

Slowleadmccey 08-08-2010 01:26 AM

Points to electronic ignition conversion

I've got a '70 GMC and a buddy told me that I should convert the points to electronic ignition. I told him I wanted to keep the stock look of the motor so I couldn't go HEI. He responded with an explanation of the conversion kits that fit under your stock distributor. He said his Dad uses one on his fifty something truck. I saw some from Pertronix and a couple of other places. Has anyone used these things and are they as great as they make them sound? It would be cool to be free of adjusting points and such. Would anyone mind letting me know how they really are and if it's as simple as they make it sound on the web sites?

:gmc2:

dirtball 08-08-2010 01:30 AM

Re: Points to electronic ignition conversion

Myself and a buddy of mine are both using a Pertronix kit. Both of us were looking for a stock look and electronic reliability. Easy to install and no issues yet.

bradley7576 08-08-2010 01:32 AM

i had electronic ignition on my 67 at one point but i kept have problems so i put points back on it and it fireed right up. but i have been considering going back to electronic.

Jacfourteen 08-08-2010 01:33 AM

I know that mallory and accel both have a kits to do the conversion for about $70 at summit (both are the same exact part they just have different labels). My dad swears by them but I haven't made the switch yet so I don't know firsthand. I think the biggest advantage would be not setting points anymore.

PanelDeland 08-08-2010 08:25 AM

I switched to a mid 70's HEI.I know you're looking for a stock look but I can tell you that it

1.Made the truck start easier
2.Run smoother
3Get better milage
4 have more power
5 require less maintainence
I would definitely swap if at all possible.Even using the kit to keep it looking stock should give the same results.Don't forget to regap plugs and replace plugs and wires since it will help also if it hasn't been done.

CJ Loeffelholz 08-08-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtball (Post 4128083)
Myself and a buddy of mine are both using a Pertronix kit. Both of us were looking for a stock look and electronic reliability. Easy to install and no issues yet.

I just ordered one and hope to install it next weekend. Did you notice any difference in gas mileage?

Wrenchbender Ret 08-08-2010 09:58 AM

I alway's liked the Crane kit. It was discontinued a while back when they went bankrupped. I noticed in a Jeg's ad that it is available again. It is easier to install on the window type dist. then the Petronics.

dirtball 08-08-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ Loeffelholz (Post 4128255)
I just ordered one and hope to install it next weekend. Did you notice any difference in gas mileage?

Couldn't tell you for sure. I installed mine as I was building the truck, so no comparison. My friend switched from an HEI to this set up. He doesn't track gas mileage, but I have not heard him say he has noticed a difference.

vectorit 08-08-2010 11:54 AM

Upgraded from points to the Pertronix kit this year.
Conversion was quick and easy.
My observations so far?
Engine doesn't fire up as quick, meaning the starter has to turn a second more (I am being extremely picky here).

Plugs have a cleaner burn now.

Fuel mileage? uh, no. Forget it with these old engines. Well, at least I do because my truck is what it is.

71 super 08-08-2010 12:08 PM

I swapped points for pertronix in my bb truck and love it. Runs better, starts easy and no problems in 8 years with lots of sitting time. I have a crane unit in my 4x4 distributer- it was a little cheaper and has a built in rev limiter, have not started the new engine yet but it went in as easy as the pertronix and I expect it to perform equally well.

gregg72340 08-08-2010 12:49 PM

What do you do with wiring on this swap, can you just use the leads off the coil wires when you swap to the HEI? I want to do the same conversions just a lttle scared of the woring issues because Wiring harness is a spliced mess and wiring os not my strong point

Wrenchbender Ret 08-08-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregg72340 (Post 4128519)
What do you do with wiring on this swap, can you just use the leads off the coil wires when you swap to the HEI? I want to do the same conversions just a lttle scared of the woring issues because Wiring harness is a spliced mess and wiring os not my strong point

The wireing instucktions come with the kit. It varies with the brand. Most of them use the resistance in the circuit. The factory HEI wires directly to the ign. switch or fuse panel. It does not use resistance or bypass.

hounddogs! 08-08-2010 04:40 PM

Mid 70's HEI here. Easier starts, better idle in the cold & damp conditions. Probably better mileage, but when you're going from 12 to 14mpg, does it really matter?

Make sure that you use a key-on 12V circuit, not one that's hot all the time.

Mt Man Chad 08-08-2010 05:09 PM

Used Pertronix systems all fit under original dist cap.
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

Work flawlessly....
My 250 6 banger and 327 V8 both run much smooth with the setup.
$80 for the pointless system + $40 for high output coil.

Slowleadmccey 08-08-2010 06:46 PM

Thanks for all of the input. I was probably going to go with the Pertronix one because it's the most affordable around here. It's good to know that overall, everyone is happy with them. I think I'll keep the points in the glove box just in case.

:gmc2:

CJ Loeffelholz 08-08-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hounddogs! (Post 4128817)
when you're going from 12 to 14mpg, does it really matter?

For me, going from 12 to 14 mpg would net me over $300.00 a year.

gregg72340 08-08-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ Loeffelholz (Post 4129198)
For me, going from 12 to 14 mpg would net me over $300.00 a year.

All i did was replace the coil from a stock one to a super coil and wound up cutting my gas milage in half :(

Stock72c10 08-09-2010 11:53 AM

I have the Pertronix kit and haven't really thought about it since installing over a year ago. Install was very simple, probably could have upgraded the coil too, but it seems to work great with the stock one. I would recommend it in a Chevy Heartbeat.

harv 07-20-2011 12:30 PM

the "SUper Coil" you mention, is there a specific one you suggest? Anyone? Thanks for all the great info on this guys, My truck is throwing a fit, back fireing out the carb once it warms up. I cant seem to get the points right.

fastwillie 696969 07-20-2011 12:34 PM

i would keep the points and just add a msd 6 box

harv 07-20-2011 01:09 PM

what is an msd 6 box?

fastwillie 696969 07-20-2011 02:26 PM

http://www.msdignition.com/

Lippyp 07-21-2011 04:16 AM

I've just done this myself,although from a slightly different route. My truck had a dual point mallory distributor in it thanks to the previous owner and its always been a right PITA to setup and keep running sweetly. I acquired a used factory HEI to go in, bought a new module, cap, rotor and leads and then found because my engine is set well back as its on six cyl stands there wasn't enough clearance between the firewall and engine to allow the HEI to drop in the hole, simply couldn't do it. Thankfully they do a pertronix ignitor now to fit the twin point mallory so I bought one, conversion took literally 15 minutes on my kitchen table as the distributor was out as I was changing intakes and I also went for their Flamethrower coil. I've not fired it up yet as I'm waiting on some other parts so all I can say is its easy to do and fits entirely under the cap.

mountainsurfer 07-21-2011 07:37 AM

I know it might be a little pricey, but the advantage in performance and fuel savings is worth it. You can regap your plugs out to .055 plus. I have no starting issues even when the temp is -30 here in the high country.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/gmssdui.htm

Willy Prost 07-21-2011 07:10 PM

My truck and I can vouch for the Pertronix electronic conversion.
It has been on the truck (250 I-6) over 25 years now.
Installed in less than 2 beers time.
No problems.
Runs smooth.
I can run the truck at 18mph in 4th all day long.
Couldn't to that with points.