The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help with windshield frame (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813610)

Heydanl 10-24-2020 09:04 PM

Need help with windshield frame

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Does anyone have a bare (preferably factory) windshield frame out there who can take a measurement for me? I need the inside to inside dimension of the very upper edge of the pinch weld flanges. I've been stalled on this area for some time now, any help would be VERY much appreciated. It's around 57", I believe, but I want to be sure before I start welding it all up.

Spf79 10-26-2020 04:03 PM

Re: Need help with windshield frame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heydanl (Post 8826734)
Hi all,
Does anyone have a bare (preferably factory) windshield frame out there who can take a measurement for me? I need the inside to inside dimension of the very upper edge of the pinch weld flanges. I've been stalled on this area for some time now, any help would be VERY much appreciated. It's around 57", I believe, but I want to be sure before I start welding it all up.

I can on Wednesday if no one replies in the meantime.

hemi43 10-26-2020 08:23 PM

Well, if it was me, I would install the glass and the gasket before you weld it up. If you don't get that window opening correct, it will bite you later. I did a Dodge truck 20 years ago and the opening was tight. Was a nightmare and an expensive mistake/

Heydanl 10-26-2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8827666)
Well, if it was me, I would install the glass and the gasket before you weld it up. If you don't get that window opening correct, it will bite you later. I did a Dodge truck 20 years ago and the opening was tight. Was a nightmare and an expensive mistake/

Yep, that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. That's why the request for help. It's weird, I know C10 cab and Blazer windshield frames are supposed to be the same, but I don't think they are. I have the dash bolted to the A pillars to set the width at the bottom of the WS frame. I measured a 67 cab WS frame for this measurement and it was 56 3/4". But when I set the top of the A pillars at that, the WS seems to fit with an even gap all around, but the header repair pieces are too long. If I open the gap at the top to where the header repair pieces seem to fit, the gap between WS side edge and A pillar is bigger at the top than the bottom. My truck was cut apart when I got it and my top was wrecked, so I don't really have anything to go on.

Heydanl 10-26-2020 10:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8827515)
I can on Wednesday if no one replies in the meantime.

Thank you Spf79, it would be very much appreciated. I was looking at it again today and hoping I could impose on you for a couple other measurements. If you could hook your tape on the outside of the gutter on one side, right where it would meet the fibreglass top and measure to the outside of the other and then do the same on the seal flanges, I would owe you my first born.

Spf79 10-27-2020 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heydanl (Post 8827734)
Thank you Spf79, it would be very much appreciated. I was looking at it again today and hoping I could impose on you for a couple other measurements. If you could hook your tape on the outside of the gutter on one side, right where it would meet the fibreglass top and measure to the outside of the other and then do the same on the seal flanges, I would owe you my first born.

Can do buddy, i get it.

raggedjim 10-28-2020 09:34 AM

I just checked my jimmy and got these measurements;

1. 56-3/4"
2. 60-9/16" (my flanges are kinda bent out, yours look bent in, so this may vary)
3. 55-5/8"

I would think the first is the most important.

Good luck, Rg

Heydanl 10-28-2020 11:31 AM

Thank you Roger. Very very much appreciated. Now I'm curious though. If anybody else is reading this and can take measurements, please do it. I'd like to see if there's any significant variation in this particular area. It could come in handy for future builders.

Spf79 10-28-2020 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is what I came up with today.

Sorry for the poor quality pics, I was on a rickety stool when doing this. Holding the tape measure still with one hand while trying to snap a pic with the other required far more athletic ability than I possess.

I pick my body up next week from the Rhino Liner, I will have some help when that day arrives, so I should be able to provide some cleaner pictures.

I had tape measure catch on the outside of the weather stripping lip, and on the outside of the drip rail up top. I pushed the front of the tape measure into the top corner of the window channel and held it there the best I could while taking the pic.
That one may be off a bit, it looked straight when I was doing it, but the picture makes it look like I was bowed out on the tape. :(.

I can re-measure, just let me know if you need more. I'm happy to help.

raggedjim 10-28-2020 06:30 PM

Looks close to my measurements, so that's good!

Spf79 10-28-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 8828506)
Looks close to my measurements, so that's good!

Ha!, I was happy to see that as well since it has been so long since I tore this thing apart. Always afraid something has been damaged during all of my back and forth.

Heydanl 10-28-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8828571)
Ha!, I was happy to see that as well since it has been so long since I tore this thing apart. Always afraid something has been damaged during all of my back and forth.

Holy acrobatics Batman, I wasn't expecting that. That is truly going above and beyond the call. I thought you'd just put a tape on them and tell me what you saw. Pretty impressive. Now, at the risk of sounding like an unappreciative jackass, would you please re-measure as you offered? I only ask because I have done exactly what you describe and could never get accurate measurements. It's just too hard to do with only two hands and balancing on less-than-steady stools. Your measurements look to be right in line with ragged jim's, But could you please double check? Thank you for this.

Spf79 10-28-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heydanl (Post 8828625)
Holy acrobatics Batman, I wasn't expecting that. That is truly going above and beyond the call. I thought you'd just put a tape on them and tell me what you saw. Pretty impressive. Now, at the risk of sounding like an unappreciative jackass, would you please re-measure as you offered? I only ask because I have done exactly what you describe and could never get accurate measurements. It's just too hard to do with only two hands and balancing on less-than-steady stools. Your measurements look to be right in line with ragged jim's, But could you please double check? Thank you for this.

Lol, no problem at all, I just wanted to make sure I replied with something today.
It will be either Monday or Tuesday next week. Sound good?

Heydanl 10-29-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8828642)
Lol, no problem at all, I just wanted to make sure I replied with something today.

Sounds great! Thanks much

raggedjim 10-29-2020 09:31 AM

Just thought I'd add, I checked each dimension 3 times (it's the engineer in me...).

Good luck, Rg

hemi43 10-29-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 8828755)
Just thought I'd add, I checked each dimension 3 times (it's the engineer in me...).

Good luck, Rg

If you screw up, the Tool & Die maker will fix it! LOL, couldn't resist.

Heydanl 10-29-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8828775)

I really appreciate your diligence Roger. And thanks for picking up a tape and helping out. A lot of folks couldn't be bothered.

hemi43 10-29-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heydanl (Post 8828801)
A lot of folks couldn't be bothered.

Probably because most of us have a windshield and couldn't get the measurement you wanted.

raggedjim 10-29-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8828775)

Don't I know it! I've always been lucky to work with great people.

raggedjim 10-29-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8828858)
Probably because most of us have a windshield and couldn't get the measurement you wanted.

That's true, I looked at my blazer but there's no way to bet those measurements with a windshield or door seals in the way.

Heydanl 10-29-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 8828858)

Fair enough. That was more a *****y rant regarding the general state of the world, probably not appropriate for this forum. Guys here seem to be pretty good helping out if they can. Mea culpa.

Heydanl 11-05-2020 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8828642)

Hi again SPF, I hate to pester, but did you get a chance to re-measure?

Spf79 11-05-2020 02:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heydanl (Post 8831689)
Hi again SPF, I hate to pester, but did you get a chance to re-measure?

No worries, pester all you want. Sorry for the lack luster reply - it has been a long week already.

Blazer is dragging, they spray it tomorrow, and I pick it up Friday. I will send you measurements Friday evening. Sound good?

The pics were sent by the guys at the shop. I would have grabbed the measurements had I been there.

Heydanl 11-05-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8831694)
No worries, pester all you want. Sorry for the lack luster reply - it has been a long week already.

Blazer is dragging, they spray it tomorrow, and I pick it up Friday. I will send you measurements Friday evening. Sound good?

The pics were sent by the guys at the shop. I would have grabbed the measurements had I been there.

Yes, sounds great. With them, maybe I'll actually get something done this weekend. Thanks again. BTW, I am envious of your progress, your tub looks awesome. I'm so far away from where you're at, it's depressing. I'll get over it though;)

Spf79 11-05-2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heydanl (Post 8831696)
Yes, sounds great. With them, maybe I'll actually get something done this weekend. Thanks again. BTW, I am envious of your progress, your tub looks awesome. I'm so far away from where you're at, it's depressing. I'll get over it though;)

I know the feeling abut trying to get stuff done over the weekend. This has been a project for me since 2016, slow and steady. Thanks for the compliments on the tub. When I saw the condition of the body, I was like - where's the title!!! Lol. Reach out on Friday if you have not heard from me. I'll make sure I get the measurements before loading up the body.

Have a good night!