The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Not going to be good thanksgiving here (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797252)

72c20customcamper 11-27-2019 05:07 PM

Not going to be good thanksgiving here

Monday morning my mom who is 85 was walking her dog and was hit by a car. She was right in front of her home. Dog was on the grass and she was on the pavement. She was hit by a young driver. We Haven't gotten the police report yet but he did the right thing and called 911 and stayed at the scene.

She has a clot on her brain that hasn't increased in size ,broken leg lots of bruising and because they stopped her zerelto that she takes for AFIB because of brain bleed ,she has had a TMI which has affected her speech. They did an mri this morning that came back clear. She is on the ICU floor.

She has no recall of the incident and is in good spirits , do were going to bring the turkey to her tomorrow.

Could have been a lot worse.

72c20customcamper 11-27-2019 05:11 PM

Re: Not going to be good thanksgiving here

Didnt post this before because we were waiting on the MRI results. That was done this morning. She has had 2 cat scans too

GOPAPA 11-27-2019 06:09 PM

So happy she is recovering from what could of been way worse.. This will change your plans of course ,,but I know you know she is worth it and you already are working towards them.. again I am really happy she is pulling through it .. Will be keeping you and your mother in our thoughts here at our place .

Andy4639 11-27-2019 06:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your mom man. Take it one day at a time. Prayers for your family.:chevy:

Boog 11-27-2019 07:12 PM

Good heavens. 85 and hit by a car. She's lucky to have survived. It's hard to say she is lucky but you know what I mean. Prayers for your family and hopes for her speedy and full recovery.

special-K 11-27-2019 08:49 PM

That sure is some bad news, Mark. I'm glad the story got better than I expected after reading the first line. This Thanksgiving just may be the most meaningful one yet. Not the way you planned it but you'll make it the best you can I'm sure.

72c20customcamper 11-27-2019 09:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words. From what we gather the passenger mirror made contact to her left side and spun her away from the car . The head injury was from either the curb or the pavement. Her shoes were 25 to 30 feet away from where she landed.

Its hard to believe that she had as few injuries as she does but the head trauma is not minor.

yuccales 11-27-2019 09:25 PM

Sure hope your Mom heals up good. You and yours take care.

LockDoc 11-27-2019 09:49 PM

-
Sorry to hear this but glad she is still with us. I bet the driver feels really bad. Anyway I sure would. Give her my best and hope for a speedy recovery.

LockDoc

Gotenntitans 11-27-2019 09:59 PM

This may be a blessing in disguise. Hard times ahead for you all, but be thankful she is still with you and is in good spirits. You all take care.

Steeveedee 11-27-2019 11:25 PM

Yikes, sorry to see this! Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Palf70Step 11-27-2019 11:38 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened. We'll keep you guys in our prayers here.

'63GENIII 11-27-2019 11:54 PM

Wishing your Mom a quick and full recovery and happy Thanksgiving together albeit in a different venue than expected. Having family around can help the recovery process a bunch.

All the best to you and your family.

1976gmc20 11-27-2019 11:55 PM

Well, at least she was still out walking at 85. I hope that she can achieve a full or at least reasonable recovery. :)

My mom turned 87 last month and she has been in a nursing home 3.5 years after a massive stroke. We're not expecting her to last to the end of the year.

Just got a call today that her sister in law passed away last month; it took this long for the daughter to find our name and number. Her brother in law (my step uncle, I guess) passed away about a week after my mom's stroke in 2016. We have stuff in my mom's house to pass on to my stepfather's nieces/nephew come next spring when we get back down there to clear it out and sell it.

Seems like things just keep happening this fall. I wonder what is next?

PanelDeland 11-27-2019 11:57 PM

Thankfully she is recovering. I'll keep her in my prayers.

FleetsidePaul 11-28-2019 02:06 AM

My mom took a spill like that when she was walking her dog about 4 years ago. Broke her collar bone. She has a big dog and it was startled. It bolted and sent her to the ground.
She's now 89 and still walks the dog everyday. Keep the faith.

CG 11-28-2019 10:00 AM

I've always thought once you hit 80 life should allow you to coast. It's crazy the things that can happen though.

Your mom sounds like a tough cookie with a good family behind her. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

special-K 11-28-2019 10:26 AM

Yeah, a few years ago my mom slipped on ice when walking across the bridge over the river. Broke her leg. I was amazed what with osteoporosis and all that all she needed was a removeable inflated cast and she healed in normal time. I hope your mom heals fast and well, and that clot doesn't make trouble for her.

Ol Blue K20 11-28-2019 10:33 AM

Hoping all goes well with her recovery.

Rickysnickers 11-28-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8633932)
Sorry to hear about your mom man. Take it one day at a time. Prayers for your family.:chevy:

This! I hopes she heals up fully!

Getter-Done 11-28-2019 11:01 AM

Hope your Mom is doing well.
Prayers for your family.

Warrens69GMC 11-28-2019 11:06 AM

Prayers for your mom.

72c20customcamper 11-28-2019 11:45 AM

They did another cat scan last night. Also a brain EKG this morning . No more episodes and her speach is clear and coherent.

My mom is very independent strong person. We had to take the snowblower away last year. She couldn't wait till one of us got there to do it. So now we have the landscaper plow and he shovels the walk.

Thanks for the support and prayers

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-28-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8634276)
They did another cat scan last night. Also a brain EKG this morning . No more episodes and her speach is clear and coherent.

My mom is very independent strong person. We had to take the snowblower away last year. She couldn't wait till one of us got there to do it. So now we have the landscaper plow and he shovels the walk.

Thanks for the support and prayers

Tuff as nails man. 85, hit by a car and shoves it off like it's nothing.

powerdriver 11-28-2019 12:37 PM

You Do have reason to give Thanks , Shes still here . My prayers follow you and yours . May the only tough bird you have deal with is Mom