The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Found a wood bed in the junkyard today. Think you have seen it all? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339397)

jeffspower 04-17-2009 06:31 PM

Re: Found a wood bed in the junkyard today. Think you have seen it all?

I hope the guy hasn't been in the engine! That would give new meaning to put it to the wood :lol:

myfirstcarwasa73trk 04-17-2009 07:48 PM

Auto Zone clerk; Sir I have looked through the our whole computer we do not carry Wooden pistons for 1967 250 you can try O'rilles or Pep Boy's :dohh:

pritch 04-17-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffspower (Post 3263158)
I hope the guy hasn't been in the engine! That would give new meaning to put it to the wood :lol:

I'll have to search for it, but I seem to remember a story of a certain WW1 bi-plane having oak valves. Of course, they didn't really catch on.

But to the issue at hand, I can't really see that shifter being done by the same hand that built the bed. I mean c'mon-the nail is duct taped on!:lol:

I first thought boat builder also.

Ram-Man 04-17-2009 09:09 PM

Maybe his last truck rusted out and he wasnt going to let that happen again.

Sillyoldman 04-18-2009 11:30 PM

Kudos to the guy. He kept it on the road while under his watch.

Husker 04-19-2009 12:20 AM

GM Prototype
Ron

combustion 05-22-2009 03:50 AM

this guy can fix a deep dent without popping it out. with just bondo

special-K 05-22-2009 05:15 AM

WOW! I missed this before.That "IS" the Corvette option.It looks more like bondo than gel-coat.If the creator had laid up glass with cloth it would have survived much better,just like a boat! I wonder why the divider strip was done.Obviously just to do it.I`ve never known one to need replaced.This inspires me to run outside and start building a cab!!!....well,not! I overlooked the 1,000 or more hours I just can`t spare.

It really does inspire me to do a dream vehicle that "wood" require some simular work that I`ve wanted to do.The rest is a secret.:cool:

Kabwe 05-22-2009 04:12 PM

That is that craziest thing I have ever seen. But I have to admit the man had skillz.

Chevy4Life 04-07-2010 12:45 AM

TTT for anyone who missed it the first time.

Sublvr72 04-07-2010 01:30 AM

wow, interesting. Thanks for bumping this

darthwall 04-07-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husker (Post 3265372)
GM Prototype
Ron

this is what I say that was a hell of a bed lots of work in it or like said before the guy built boats

burb71 04-07-2010 04:27 AM

I have seen and read books on GM, in there design studio they made full size models in clay.
At the Chicago auto show I remember some of the concept cars and prototype's that are roped off not to be touched, just to look at from a far, they are made of clay or something.
I had a book on the history of the Corvette, it show's that the 1953 Corvette body panels were made by useing a full size hand built all wood Corvette model called a " Buck " to mold and form the panels to there shape.

Jeffs70 04-07-2010 06:09 AM

omg LMAO I can not stop laughing here thats just nuts, especially the shift indicator lmao

clos69 04-07-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffs70 (Post 3905749)
omg LMAO I can not stop laughing here thats just nuts, especially the shift indicator lmao

Yeah...the guy has skills to build a bed to factory specs out of wood but the shift indicator looks like his two year old built it:crazy:

OldBlue70C20 04-07-2010 09:22 AM

Thanks for the bump as newer member I have never seen this and it is pretty cool. As I look at it though I find myself wondering if the PO's last name might have been MacGyver. :lol:

GreenAcres 04-07-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burb71 (Post 3905739)
I have seen and read books on GM, in there design studio they made full size models in clay.
At the Chicago auto show I remember some of the concept cars and prototype's that are roped off not to be touched, just to look at from a far, they are made of clay or something.
I had a book on the history of the Corvette, it show's that the 1953 Corvette body panels were made by useing a full size hand built all wood Corvette model called a " Buck " to mold and form the panels to there shape.

Ya think it's possible? My cousins ex was a designer for Pontiac in the 70's. He used to drive the family down from Detroit for the holidays in wild looking prototypes. The cars that didn't "make the cut" were available for sale to any of the designers (and he bought several). They modeled a lot of new proto body styles on previous year (working) cars, just added metal, glass and bondo to shape new look. Could it be?

pat 70/71 04-07-2010 10:07 AM

I make my living working with wood, and from what I can see this guy spent thousands of hours making that bed! The profile is dead on . could it be some kind of engineering mock up that got a way? for some autorama show or, maybe even a buck for a clay design concept? IMO that bed is very rare I would strip it / repair it / save it! wow, Pat

Fitz 04-07-2010 10:20 AM

Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Woodie"!

Bondo...it smooths over the rough edges after Duct Tape has bound the universe together.

100gold 04-07-2010 10:26 AM

A good framer/finish carpenter but most certainly not a boatwright or musical instument maker. The joinery gives it away, all butt joints with construction adhesive.

That being said, it's still a neat job! I'd say a hippie carpenter that had plenty to smoke as he went along!

Heartbeat of America 04-07-2010 10:38 AM

Now thats original. I bet you can't get that at LMC.

Deaol 04-07-2010 11:55 AM

Ha, geez someone should resurrect that and make a trailer out of it :)

Maybe he was a wooden frame aircraft engineer?..

Either way, kinda neat.

onebadbowtie 04-07-2010 01:21 PM

should make it a truck bed trailer and use it to haul your firewood around with :lol:

Wideopenracing15 04-07-2010 01:55 PM

Man that was done a longg time ago! Those are true 2x4s!
Also are the bedsides wood? If they are I got him mad props for getting the body lines right!

michael bustamante 04-07-2010 01:56 PM

gives new meaning to the term "carpenters dream" :)
looks like a 67